PDA

View Full Version : Fishtank Room Battlemap, Hand Inked

Mr. Greengoat
08-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Just for fun and to see how it would go, i decided that I wanted to try and make some full size battle maps using brushed india ink and bond paper.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/mr_greengoat/Fishtank_Room.jpg

I made this map to accompany an adventure I wrote for my friends to play in D&D 4e.

The only digital elements were the cutting and pasting to cobble the scan together into one image. It was on an 18" by 24" sheet of paper so i scanned eight sections to fit the whole thing into one.

For making the grid I used a tool called a pounce wheel (which looks like a tiny wheeled spur) to cut a grid of holes into a large sheet of mylar. I laid the mylar over the blank sheet of paper so the holes lined up to form a grid and then sponged/brushed the back of the mylar so that ink would flow through the holes down onto the paper forming a sloppy grid.

After the ink was dry I free handed he dungeon features in with pencil to get the placement right and then inked the whole thing in various shades of black ink.

I wasn't trying to be too careful since it was more of a proof of concept thing so it's a little wonky but it's great when I pulled out an actual hand painted map to play on. It took about two hours working on the pre-gridded paper.

In the future I would go with heavier watercolor paper because the bond paper was too thin for the water I was splashing on. The grid of mylar is like a primitive silkscreen and is just kind of a hassle for what you get. I think next time I would just grid it off with a T-square and pencil and add small brush lines in by hand later.

(thanks, and I hope this post is proper for the final works section.)

Redrobes
08-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Crazy.

Love it.

and repped !

Gandwarf
08-19-2009, 07:08 PM
I love it as well. Have some more rep :)

Mr. Greengoat
08-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks folks, making me blush :o

Steel General
08-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Very nice, far beyond anything I could do.

I dub thee newly repped *bonk*

Coyotemax
08-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Thanks folks, making me bush :o

Just make sure to leaf the windows open.

**hides**

Anyhow, this is some darn fine work, I love seeing hand done pieces. And thank you for giving a look at the creative process, it's actually pretty helpful. I was wondering how you did the grid at first glance, while you say the mylar is a bit of a hassle, I absolutely love the effect it gives.

I've started my own ink brushed piece, though it's 100% photoshop work - but now I'm going to keep yours around as reference so I can get it looking more realistic :)

you win!!

Mr. Greengoat
08-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Realistic = warped paper with too much water applied.

To clarify the process:
To get the grid inked on I took a piece of mylar which is polyester film (plastic sheet that architects used to draw on) and punched holes in it with this little spur-ike pounce (http://www.dickblick.com/products/grifhold-aluminum-pounce-wheels/) wheel and tried to keep the wheel steady with a big ruler.

This left a grid of punched holes in the mylar. I taped this plastic sheet over the blank paper and sponged ink through the holes onto the paper. It is essentially like a really primitive silkscreen or an advanced stencil. That way I could make a bunch of gridded sheets.

Midgardsormr
08-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Beautiful! It makes me think Call of Cthulhu. I'd really like to see more like this. If you do another one, please do not hesitate to post it.

DungeonMasterGaz
08-24-2009, 02:34 PM
Good hand-drawn style. It's almost old skool, and I think it has great atmosphere.

DMG

Scorpius
08-24-2009, 07:24 PM
A fun look and its very clear.

cereth
08-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Very nice indeed.

ravells
08-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Practical, fun, imaginative and talented! Have some rep!!!

Mr. Greengoat
08-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks, I am going to start working on a watercolor map this week hopefully.