PDA

View Full Version : Woodcut map

RobA
08-21-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm making a map that was requested to be similar to S John Ross' Uresia.

Hre is me current woodcut effect, which requires a gimp+inkscape workflow:

Thoughts?

-Rob A>

Ascension
08-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Good looking effect there. Reminds me of those things we did in junior high with the gray rubbery stuff that had to be carved out and then inked and printed...whatever that was called.

ravells
08-21-2009, 04:32 PM
It looks terrific. I particularly like the way you've got that 'pinched' effect where the horizontal lines meet the coast line. This looks as good as anything that the 'India Ink' filter in Photoshop can accomplish.

Mr. Greengoat
08-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Good looking effect there. Reminds me of those things we did in junior high with the gray rubbery stuff that had to be carved out and then inked and printed...whatever that was called.

That was a linoleum block print. It's used the same way that a wood block is for printing. So I guess it looks like a print. Good job.

The effect looks nice graphically and it is very clear to read. It might just be a little too clean and neat. Wood block carving lines are usually a little rougher and straighter but I am really just nitpicking.

Here is a close up of a block print that you can see irregularities on (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Durer_Revelation_Four_Riders.jpg), and this one is by Durer, arguably the best woodblock printer ever.

Thanks for showing.

pasis
08-23-2009, 09:48 AM
To my eye the effect looks really nice. I'm not bothered by the cleanness. I think it will leave more space wor the other details.

cereth
08-23-2009, 10:03 AM
That's a really nice effect. That water is very pleasing on the eye. I look forward to seeing where this project goes. :)

Here is a close up of a block print that you can see irregularities on, and this one is by Durer, arguably the best woodblock printer ever.

Nice Albrecht Dürer reference, Mr. Greengoat. He's probably one of my all time favorite artists. The things he accomplished with blocks of wood are amazing. I could see maybe roughing up the shoreline to make it more irregular, but its not a deal breaker for me. I guess it depends on what his goal for the map is....to look like it is an actual woodblock printing or just mimic one.

Mr. Greengoat
08-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Ya, like I said, it was just nitpicking. Sometimes you want to aim for simulation and sometime you want clarity. It's kind of the whole prop versus tool usage for the map in question.

Diamond
08-23-2009, 01:03 PM
I'll chime in with my compliments as well. Nothing really constructive to say, other than it looks fantastic. I love maps done in this style/look.

RobA
08-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Mr. Greengoat-

Thanks for the link. That is a very nice example!

-Rob A>

RobA
08-23-2009, 10:39 PM
I smoothed the distortion a bit, and raised the threshold a bit, as I had to make a couple small changes in the map and the scaling.

Is this better/worse/meh?

-Rob A>

Ascension
08-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Plays with my eyes like one of those optical illusions. I see hills and then get a headache. Kinda neat tho.

Diamond
08-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Personally? I liked the first version better.

Jykke
08-23-2009, 11:57 PM
I have to agree with Diamond here, The first version looks better :) I don't like that on the second version, the woodcut effect is on everywhere on the water.

Steel General
08-24-2009, 06:37 AM
While I think the changes give it more of a wood grain appearance, after about 5 seconds it started to bother my eyes to look at it.

Mr. Greengoat
08-24-2009, 12:44 PM
I like the straighter "cuts" on the second version but the cloud or noise wipeout of the lines in the deeper sea are gone. If you could bring that back like in the first one I think it would look great.

The dizzy effect when you look at the zoomed-out image is a moire pattern (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern) and won't show if it get's printed. It is an artifact of zooming on the computer screen. And I think it will go away if you white out the deep sea with fuzz.

Nifty work, can't wait to see the continent interior.

RobA
08-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Happy medium?

I think this is it for the water effect, or I could be at it forever ;)

-Rob A>

Karro
08-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Looks pretty great. You'll have to reveal yoru secrets (yet again).

I would think, to get a slightly dirtier and more authentic appearance (ala the Durer reference), you could do a very slight pixel noise/spread thing to push some of those pixels around, and possibly a very tiny, almost imperceptible blur?

Steel General
08-25-2009, 06:54 PM
I think that is much better, definitely easier on my eyes. :)

torstan
08-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Both of those (first and last) look good to me. I'd suggest tackling the interior of the island before getting too precise with the water, as the balance of tones between them will be important and that's going to affect your choices on the water I guess. Looks great to me so far.

RobA
08-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Looks pretty great. You'll have to reveal yoru secrets (yet again).

I would think, to get a slightly dirtier and more authentic appearance (ala the Durer reference), you could do a very slight pixel noise/spread thing to push some of those pixels around, and possibly a very tiny, almost imperceptible blur?

My plan is to use a similar technique to my quarry map, where I apply a textured BG then do a very small displace using the texture. Makes the "ink" look like it is on the "paper" rather than above the "paper".

-Rob A>

Karro
08-26-2009, 08:58 AM
My plan is to use a similar technique to my quarry map, where I apply a textured BG then do a very small displace using the texture. Makes the "ink" look like it is on the "paper" rather than above the "paper".

-Rob A>

Ahh cool. That sounds like it'll work handily.

RobA
09-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Here is a quick update-

Not yet satisfied with the mountains.

-Rob A>

Ascension
09-11-2009, 12:02 AM
They look just a tad thick on the line work, when compared to the thin/delicate line on the rivers and roads and small fonts, and maybe that is causing you a disconnect. The trees have thick and thin parts so maybe something in the mountains with more line-width variation, shrug.

Karro
09-11-2009, 09:43 AM
Honestly, overall, I think it's looking pretty great, now.

torstan
09-11-2009, 09:52 AM
I like the mountains. Not to confuse matters too much, but I think the coastline edge is looking very heavy now. It almost looks like the island is floating above the water.

With the mountains, maybe have a shot at joining a few of the peaks together to show ridges. That might give the large areas of mountains a little more definition rather than just large regions of individual unrelated peaks.

Diamond
09-11-2009, 11:32 PM
One thing that bugs me is that area where you have the nation of Kenshad. It took me the longest time before I realized it wasn't the 'Iron Kenshad Mountains', but instead was the country of Kenshad in the Iron Mts. Maybe italicize your country names?

Overall though this map is freaking stunning. And I love your castle icons.

RobA
09-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Finished map is here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=81372

-Rob A>