View Full Version : What a great resource

08-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Greetings, guild members.

I've been looking through the tutorials and finished maps for a while, and I'm looking forward to trying some of these efforts. I've played D&D since the early 80s, and now I'm a proud father of a 13-year-old gaming kid (RPGs, board games, card games, miniatures,...).

Most of the maps that I've created have been done with pen and paper, sometimes scanned and touched-up (though my image manipulation skills are rudimentary).

Attached are two examples: a watercolor and ink map focusing on a portion of the Elsir Vale from Red Hand of Doom for a kids' group I run at the local library, and a map I did of the venue for a local gaming convention (http://www.northeastwars.com/).

In participating in the guild, I'm hoping to learn a lot about image editing, and I'm specifically interested in how to create encounter maps with a grid. I've searched for tutorials and threads on the latter, but no luck so far. But some maps have nice battle grids. Anyone know of some good descriptions of technique?

08-22-2009, 08:56 AM
The watercolor map is quite nice :) There probably is tutorials on how to create grid based encounter maps.. have you checked the tutorial section already, or done a search on forum ? Oh, and have some rep for the watercolour map :) Welcome aboard!

Steel General
08-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Firstly... Welcome Aboard!

Both are nice maps, the water color especially so.

How to add a grid to a battle map will probably depend on what software you are using. I can think of at least two ways off the top off my head on how to do it in Photoshop, at least one should work in most raster-based graphic editors.

Create a new empty layer than fill it with a grid-pattern. There are programs for generating these grids available on the web, but I'm pretty sure there are several examples posted here in the map elements forum.

08-22-2009, 09:42 AM
Many people here on the forum use gimp as an image editor. If you are not sure with which program to start with, it's probably a good choice "tutorial wise". And the second good thing about it - it's totally free.

08-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Yup...first post...first map....and a good one too :)

Definitely worth some rep, and welcome to the Guild.

08-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

08-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks for welcome and feedback. I've worked with PS Elements, Paint.NET, a little of the GIMP, and I did the icons in the Con map in Inkscape (getting the SVG -> WMF for my page layout was a big pain).

I did some forum and tutorial searches, but thanks to @Steel General, I have some new search terms.

08-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Welcome to the guild and have some rep for posting these cool maps. The first one is especially nice!

08-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Welcome to the Guild! I love the handdrawn feel of the first map too. Lovely stuff!