View Full Version : First map: Aralor

08-25-2009, 02:55 AM
G'day everyone, my first post on the forums.

I have created a map for an upcoming RPG book I am working on and thought I would share. This was created using the freeware AutoREALM software, then the parchement background was done in Photoshop. It depicts one small region of the campaign world called Aralor.

08-25-2009, 03:20 AM
Welcome aboard! You might want some feedback on your map, so I'll just hop straight to the main things here :). I like the idea of the map, it looks to be a map projected on 3d parchement model. The projected bitmap however is a bit low res, as there is some pixelation. The (3d ?) model of the perchament is also a bit too sharp on the edges, and the tears are somewhat unrealistically clean.

However, I think you can produce very good looking maps with this technique. Just crank up the resolution of the actual map projection and make the perchament model a bit more torn than it is now. You could also do the tears more natural looking manually on photoshop.

Overall, It's a very good map for you first post on the forum. Don't take my criticism too harshly on yourself :) I just wanted to break the main issues I see with the technique, so you can perfect it later on. As it promising style and also your first posted map, I think you deserve some rep for it. So *bonk*, welcome, and enjoy your time in the guild!

Steel General
08-25-2009, 07:05 AM
First off... Welcome Aboard!

You have a nice little map there, thx for posting.

Now for a few nit-picks (you knew they were coming :D)...

Love the mountain symbols, 2 or 3 more to add some additional variety might be helpful. Your torn & burnt parchment isn't to bad, but you may want to look into some on-line tutorials for some ideas/inspiration (there's a ton of good ones out there). Lastly, I think I'd drop the white background or at least shrink it down. Don't think you really need it.

08-25-2009, 11:01 AM
Welcome to the Forums! :)

I agree %100 with what SG and Jykke had to say. I love those mountain symbols as well, just wish there was a tad bit more variety. The pixellation of the symbols and stuff are also pretty distracting. The tears and edges are also way to sharp and perfect.

Overall though its a really nice concept and an excellent first post. Did I mention I really like those mountain symbols? :)

08-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Like said above, when one zooms in fully, it is a bit fuzzy.

Personally, this map reminds me of those maps I first made as a DM.

I like it very much. Keep making maps!

08-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Very nice. I can't wait to see what else you come up with. Have some rep and welcome to the guild.