PDA

View Full Version : Rail yard

agroschim
08-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi there,

this is actually my first post here here. I found this forum by chance and it catched my interest. This is one of my first attemps of making a encounter map with GIMP and textures from CG Textures. It is a bit empty though, could use some telegraph poles, signals, water tanks or whatever. I am working on it.

NeonKnight
08-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Looks good so far, and really only the second attempt at a railway themed map that I know of.

Steel General
08-25-2009, 03:47 PM
It's a great start, looking forward to seeing it develop

Ascension
08-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Looks good so far. Just that water tank, telegraph poles, and a loading/unloading platform for people to get on and off.

agroschim
08-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Added some detail today. But still no telegraph poles. I just don't have any idea how to do them. But i could use some retro style pickup for this map. Unfortunaly RPG Map Share has nothing like that.

Steel General
08-26-2009, 06:29 AM
Check the Dundjinni forums - you may find what you need, or if nothing else some inspiration.

NeonKnight
08-26-2009, 06:54 AM
There is these:

http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=1161&KW=pole

But, knowing poles as I do, they are not 100% accurate.

The poles do NOT look like:

|
O
|

but rather should look like:

|
|O
|

In other words, the cross spar is placed against the pole, not through the pole.

RobA
08-26-2009, 04:52 PM
I made a post for you...

-Rob A>

Tear
08-26-2009, 06:23 PM
He just posted a post.

This is the worst pun ever.

I'll get my coat.

Steel General
08-26-2009, 06:25 PM
He just posted a post.

This is the worst pun ever.

I'll get my coat.

Naaww... if we booted people for bad puns/jokes - I would've been gone a long time ago :)

agroschim
08-26-2009, 06:55 PM
The poles fit in quite well:

Ascension
08-26-2009, 07:08 PM
That's why Rob's one of our best :) Good stuff to the both of you.

RobA
08-26-2009, 08:20 PM
The poles fit in quite well:

I hoped so. I loaded your map and created it on new layers above that. I was trying for your scale and colour palette.

-Rob A>

Coyotemax
08-27-2009, 04:47 AM
Actually if you're willing to put in the work for a bit more realism, the telegraph poles and wires themselves could use a treatment on the shadows. If you look at actual lines, they sag towards the middle, and that would come across in the shadow shape, even if looking striaght down - plus there would be a bit of angle to the pole shadows themselves too. Might be more work than you're willing to do, but Ascension had an interesting approach that he described for castle towers that could apply here.

Draw out the shape from the side view, then skew and distort that shape till you get the shadow angle right, and gauss blur that, then adjust opacity as needed.

As it is now, the poles have the same shadow as the rest, which makes everything look like ti's a similar height).

All that having been said, I love the map anyhow :)

RobA
08-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Some shadows if you want to follow Coyotemax's suggestion...

-Rob A>

wormspeaker
08-27-2009, 12:21 PM
It seems to me that the wires would be on the same side of the rails as the building, since the telegraph machine would need access to the wires. If the building does not have a telegraph office then I guess that it would not be the case though.

RobA
08-27-2009, 12:55 PM
It seems to me that the wires would be on the same side of the rails as the building, since the telegraph machine would need access to the wires. If the building does not have a telegraph office then I guess that it would not be the case though.

Excellent point. (sometimes the obvious avoids us!)

And with the wires, telegraph lines were always bare copper (sometimes shellacked) so they should either be copper coloured or have a green/grey patina.

-Rob A>

agroschim
08-27-2009, 04:32 PM

It's just a warehouse. No office or something like that.