PDA

View Full Version : Untitled Island Continent WIP

AslanC
08-31-2009, 05:53 AM
So been up all night working on this. Used Ascension's tutorial with a bunch of modifications.

Big thanks to Coyotemax who has been giving me tips and pointers on MSN :)

Things left to do, but I am tired now.

Thoughts?

Alfar
08-31-2009, 07:01 AM
I really like the burnt look, and the coast line decorations are very nice, but it's a bit obvious how some mountain brushes are used more than once - at times, right next to each other. Maybe vary the size, at least?

Steel General
08-31-2009, 08:45 AM
I like it. The decorations in the left-hand corners go quite nicely.

But I have to agree with Alfar about varying the mountain symbols a bit more.

RobA
08-31-2009, 02:23 PM
"Untitled"? Looks a mite like Antarctica, to me poor untrained eye ;)

-Rob A>

AslanC
08-31-2009, 02:24 PM
That's exactly what it is, good untrained eye ;)

AslanC
08-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Okay here is the latest update.

Need to add cities and towns, but otherwise it is mostly done.

I changed up the mountains
Added some forest
Tweaked swamps
Chopped open the inner sea
Changed font
Added plaque with scale
Adjusted the desert
Felt a sense of accomplishment

Thoughts?

Steel General
08-31-2009, 04:25 PM
I think the mountains are much better now, a better 'mix' of the individual shapes.

AslanC
08-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Thanks.

Oh and a question for the River Police.

Between Country One and Two there is a swamp. Originally I had it as a river/channel that was actually a floodplain.

I took the river marker out as I fear the River Police... but now I am regretting it.

Any thoughts on how I could do it without it being a glaring violation?

Also a note for everyone, this is my "give something back" map, which I will be posting at the two rpg boards I frequent (Troll Lord Games and Goblinoid Games) and offering it up for anyone who needs a world map for a Fantasy campaign world :)

Much like this place, those two places are just full of nice folks :)

RobA
08-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Make it a tidal salt marsh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_marsh

Or if you wanted to be more agressive, a tidal plane with a massive tidal bore ;)

-Rob A>

AslanC
08-31-2009, 04:44 PM
Make it a tidal salt marsh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_marsh

Or if you wanted to be more agressive, a tidal plane with a massive tidal bore ;)

Well that's sort of the idea I am going for.

Between the two it is mostly salt marsh, but sometimes it floods and ships can actually navigate a channel through it.

The question is any thoughts on how to represent that on a map?

Alfar
08-31-2009, 04:56 PM
Small typo in the header, maybe. It's supremacy (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/supremacy), according to dictionary.com, at least.

The mountains are much better, but could still use a tiny bit of mixing up - first thing I zoomed in on was triplets in the lower right corner. I wonder if distorting them a bit could help?

Map looks very nice other'n that.

RobA
08-31-2009, 04:59 PM
How about something like this:

-Rob A>

AslanC
08-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Not bad. I have a couple of concerns.

1] It should appear to be able to be traversed by land if need be.

2] Won't the layer stroke mess that up?

3] How did you achieve that effect?

Cheers :)

AslanC
08-31-2009, 05:03 PM
Small typo in the header, maybe. It's supremacy (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/supremacy), according to dictionary.com, at least.

Cool thanks, will fix that right away.

The mountains are much better, but could still use a tiny bit of mixing up - first thing I zoomed in on was triplets in the lower right corner. I wonder if distorting them a bit could help?

I understand, but the mountains stay the way they are now :) I am tired of them already ;)

That said thanks for the idea of having those three called "The Triplets" by the locals since they look so much alike :)

Map looks very nice other'n that.

Alfar
08-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Can't blame you for hating mountains ;)

Any chance you want to mix up your forests a bit? ;)

AslanC
08-31-2009, 05:08 PM
Can't blame you for hating mountains ;)

Any chance you want to mix up your forests a bit? ;)

Nope that was a style choice. Each forest uses a different type of tree for it's figure. :)

As for the "Triplets" if you look again, the three I think you mean, the middle one is different and the other two are twins.

PokealypseNow
08-31-2009, 05:47 PM
Really digging this map, Aslan - although at first glance I thought it was Antartica! ;)

I'm digging the Neptune-esque woodcut. Where'd you find him?

AslanC
08-31-2009, 05:52 PM
Really digging this map, Aslan - although at first glance I thought it was Antartica! ;)

I'm digging the Neptune-esque woodcut. Where'd you find him?

Random web search I believe... Can't remember where... he was called Triton.. hand on I may have bookmarked it ...

Here you go! (http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/) This place is awesomesauce!

AslanC
08-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Okay here's an idea I had for the Saltmarsh/Floodplain.

I am sure it violates all kinds of river police rules, but I think it conveys what I want it to convey.

Thoughts?

Ascension
08-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Dude, thanks for that link. It's the motherlode! I just might lose myself there for a few days.

AslanC
08-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Dude, thanks for that link. It's the motherlode! I just might lose myself there for a few days.

My pleasure Ascension, if it wasn't for your tutorial this would never have happened. So again, thank you :)

AslanC
08-31-2009, 06:50 PM
I can't decide which ship I like better in the lower right corner

Barbary Pirate or Viking Longship

Which do you prefer?

PokealypseNow
08-31-2009, 07:19 PM
Vikings are so overdone it's painful, so I gotta go with the Barbary Pirate on principle.

Immolate
08-31-2009, 08:58 PM
Going with the pirates. You can never have too many pirates. Rep for you and a pretty map and a super link!

Steel General
09-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Need to find a way to combine the two, then you can have Vikings from the Barbary Coast! :D

Clercon
09-01-2009, 10:55 AM
I think the picture of the vikingship gives more harmony to the picture than the pirates ship. Not because it is a viking ship but because the picture itself is calmer.

Davros01
09-01-2009, 05:39 PM
AsianC,

I really like the look and feel of this map. It looks genuinely antuque as opposed to some of them that look like they are going out of their way and overdoing the antique look.

I also like the minimalist look. great looking map.

I would vary the mountains a bit more. its still a bit uniform i think.

Marc