PDA

View Full Version : Unnamed Fantasy World

Tensen01
09-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Alrighty, here's a WiP map of a fantasy world that I may use for an upcoming game.

This is my first real try at this type of map so I am very much open to comments and critisisms.

Ascension
09-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Colors look good, nice coastline, I like that elephant skin pattern thingy for the mountains (might have to try that because it gives the general look and feel of a satellite shot without having to do all of the work). There is one river system that is not connected to anything draining to the sea (middle top), and one that looks like it avoids a nearby bay to go over a mountain (left top). Everything else looks to be in order. Nice to look at and given me a new idea to work with, so I say good job :)

NeonKnight
09-01-2009, 10:36 PM
It is very evocative and pretty, even though the style is not my personal favorite. Good Work!

Tensen01
09-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Colors look good, nice coastline, I like that elephant skin pattern thingy for the mountains (might have to try that because it gives the general look and feel of a satellite shot without having to do all of the work). There is one river system that is not connected to anything draining to the sea (middle top), and one that looks like it avoids a nearby bay to go over a mountain (left top). Everything else looks to be in order. Nice to look at and given me a new idea to work with, so I say good job :)

That texture is actually a texture I found on this site of Mountains I believe. Thought it'd work well like that and it gave me a good idea of where the riers would flow.

Okay, that first river that doesn't drain actually goes UNDER the mountains and comes back out on the other side.

The other... Hmmmm Good point.

Ascension
09-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Ah, underground river...good stuff, then.

AslanC
09-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Very nice! Repped!

Diamond
09-02-2009, 01:42 AM
That is looking good. Man, I envy you guys and your mountains. Mine always look like crap, which is why I go with icons most of the time. :D

Tensen01
09-02-2009, 01:51 AM
Okay, thanks for the encouragement.

Here's an updated map with a bit more variation in coloring, some more terrain features, as well as trees and a few temporary labels.

Gandwarf
09-02-2009, 04:46 AM
This is very, very nice! Good job so far. The mountains look great.

Coyotemax
09-02-2009, 04:50 AM
Dang, that's hot!

Katto
09-02-2009, 06:11 AM
Great map. I really like the textures and colors and especially the small mountain on the island, that looks like a rising demonic face.

Steel General
09-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Very nice, especially for your first attempt at this kind of map. :)

Couple of things that seemed 'off' to me (and these are just my opinions, do with them as you will).

Mountain tops seem awfully bright white - are they largely snow covered? If so then ignore this otherwise you might want tone it down a bit.
Continental Shelf - Drop off seems kind of abrupt to me. I think I might soften it a bit - again if you intended it to be that drastic then by all means don't change it.

PokealypseNow
09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
I like the new forrest textures a lot! How'd you do that? My only suggestion would be that they look a bit too shiny and plastic-like. You might want to tone down the highlight on them.

Tensen01
09-02-2009, 06:45 PM
The mouintains ARE largely snow-covered but I agree that it's a little over the top... I intend on fixing it if I can... As for the continental shelf it's not meant to necessarily accurately represent the actual shelf.

The forest was done by using the brush tool with a high amount of scatter and pen-sensitivity, then texturing them with the tree texture from Pasis. I just need to change the highlights from white to a light gree to fix the "plasticness"

Avulsion
09-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I am really impressed! I should learn to make something of similar quality.

If I could give just one suggestion it would be to make the "softer" areas (light green and desert) more grainy. Some sort of slightly rough texture maybe. Right now they look smoothly "air-brushed." Just my opinion...

I'm excited to see more toponyms on there too!

Tensen01
09-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Okay, fixed both the Mountains and the forests. Also tried to add a little to the desertish areas but didn't turn out terribly well.

Not happy with how the text is looking so took it off for now.

Steel General
09-03-2009, 10:39 AM
The snow still seem overboard to me - I wonder if maybe its more of the highlight of your mountain bevel that's causing it.

Overall it's quite nice.. keep up the good work.

PokealypseNow
09-03-2009, 11:21 AM
The snow still seem overboard to me - I wonder if maybe its more of the highlight of your mountain bevel that's causing it.

Overall it's quite nice.. keep up the good work.

I dunno, depending on the scale represented, the snow pack could be just fine.

Tensen01
09-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Okay, so the map proper is done as far as I'm concerned... All I hafta do is label... Which I'm in the process of doing as you can see.

Diamond
09-04-2009, 12:06 AM
It looks awesome, dude. I really like the way you set up the compass; that's a good idea.

What font did you use for the northern nations? I've been looking for one like that...

Tensen01
09-04-2009, 12:48 AM
It looks awesome, dude. I really like the way you set up the compass; that's a good idea.

What font did you use for the northern nations? I've been looking for one like that...

Which font? The Theocracies font? it's Ludovicos. If you mean the one for Thingöllr it's Blackcastle MF

Diamond
09-04-2009, 02:13 AM
Yes, the one for Thingollr. I'll have to see if dafont.com has that.

Gregorus Prime
09-06-2009, 06:03 AM
Kord doesn't really strike me as a deity whose priests would set up a theocracy, unless it was a theocracy in which legislative differences were settled with drinking contests and fist fights. Then again, it's your setting, maybe he's different from the original Greyhawk fluff.

The map looks awesome, by the way. Seconding the commentary about the compass rose and the way it extends out into the rest of the map.

Tensen01
09-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Kord doesn't really strike me as a deity whose priests would set up a theocracy, unless it was a theocracy in which legislative differences were settled with drinking contests and fist fights. Then again, it's your setting, maybe he's different from the original Greyhawk fluff.

The map looks awesome, by the way. Seconding the commentary about the compass rose and the way it extends out into the rest of the map.

I didn't even know there WAS another Kord as I never played Greyhawk.

That was just a placeholder anyways, I've decided to give the nation an actual name and have the Theocracy be one of the ruling factions, a la the Whitecloaks in the Wheel of Time. And I haven't decided on the new name.

And thanks :D I was really happy with how that turned out.

I hope to have an update on the map soon.

Tensen01
09-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Okay, updated map with final Nation names and Capitals.

Also some political boundaries for the Human Nations(who are the only ones who seem to insist on such things)

Naming Conventions:

Vestinia: Generically European Made-Up
Garran: Germanic
Royce: Spain/Italy
Savonia: Finnish

The Dwarves are mostly Norwegian and the Elves are... Elven.

Steel General
09-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Came out quite nicely.

I do have one nit-pick, while I understand what you are trying to do with the fonts, I find that more than 2-3 different font faces on a map are distracting (but I'm funny like that :))

PokealypseNow
09-08-2009, 03:29 PM
I actually dig the different typefaces - it really imparts some cultural flavor to the nations/areas. I'd just really recomend that you use the same styles on all of them (as the elven land and the badlands have a different style thant he rest of them).

And I'd echo that style for the cities and towns - they are blending into the map pretty easily right now - maybe add a stroke to help that?

Notsonoble
09-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Looks good, and for a tad of thread drift what do you think of the Roger McClintock books... (yep I poked you DA page)

Tensen01
09-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean about the fonts... and I think I'll make each race use one font and style.

Looks good, and for a tad of thread drift what do you think of the Roger McClintock books... (yep I poked you DA page)

I have no idea who that is...

[EDIT] OOOHHHH!!!! Good books... Sorry, I'd forgotten the characters name... I haven't updated that in a while...

Tensen01
09-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Okay, fixed the fonts and added a few things: Sites of interest(Courtesy of RPG.net), a legend, and the Coats of Arms of the Human Nations

I realize the font on the Sites of interest is hard to read but it's fine at 100%, the picture posted is at about 60%

Diamond
09-08-2009, 10:18 PM
That's very, very cool. I really like the coats-of-arms; did you do those from scratch?

Tensen01
09-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Yup, did them in PS using various Shapes that I've downloaded and made.

Karro
09-09-2009, 01:06 PM
Hmm, I like it. It's got an interesting style.

The ocean floor looks a little pixelated, and the craggyness seems to get to be a bit much as you get away from the mountains, but overall quite nice.

Tensen01
09-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Hmm, I like it. It's got an interesting style.

The ocean floor looks a little pixelated, and the craggyness seems to get to be a bit much as you get away from the mountains, but overall quite nice.

I've actually been meaning to completely overhaul the Ocean area to make it look like the ocean instead of the ocean floor.

And here is that attempt.

Also added a few more places.

LonewandererD
09-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Whoa, nice work mate. The change you did to the ocean looks so much better, truthfullly i wasn't a fan of what it was before but thats just me. And those symbols/coat of arms are just great. From what I'm saying I would gladly bet that this place is going to look truly awesome when its done.

-D-

su_liam
09-11-2009, 01:21 PM
I [b]liked[b] the ocean floor, but I like this too. Maybe a blend of the two ocean styles. Just a hint of sea bottom. On the one hand sea bottom isn't too appropriate for a sword-wielding culture. On the other hand, a satellite view isn't likely too show any but the shallowest seafloor. On the gripping hand, I just love that seafloor. Tres National Geographic.

Tensen01
09-11-2009, 01:35 PM
I think I'm going to keep the ocean as-is... I actually used a satelite view of N. America for my reference on it.

I've actually update the coats of arms since I posted that.

And here they are at full-rez to tide you over until I have another map update.

And thanks :D I think it's going to be something awesome too.

Steel General
09-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Those shields/coat-of-arms are very nice.

Gandwarf
09-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Indeed, nice coat of arms!

jerriecan
09-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Beautiful Work! + rep! :)

Jerriecan

Karro
09-11-2009, 03:15 PM
You need to do like a tutorial or something for those coats of arms!

Tensen01
09-11-2009, 03:49 PM
I actually stole the outer shield border from an image in a D&D book so that's not mine and is copyrighted by WotC I'm sure.

But for the inside it's fairly easy. It's a layer with the the shield border on top, a white layer behind that with the inside cut out, a layer under that with a grey/white cloud render and grey-transparent-grey gradient set to multiply, and then under that the actual coat of arms which I also add gradients to give it a bit more depth.

But here's the .PSD file for personal use.

Tensen01
09-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Okay, no actual map update yet, but I do have a question.

I noticed that all of my nations have river borders and such none of the nations actually have a land-bridge between them. How would this affect Politics? In specific Wars between two nations. Now, I know the rivers as shown on the map are a little out of scale simply so they'll show up, but I'm still worried about it being a hindrance to wars.

Oh, also, the Shield template works fine, it's just the thumbnail is weirded out.

Karro
09-14-2009, 04:19 PM
You're worried that with rivers serving as borders, the river crossings would prove a hindrance to warfare between nations, making your world a boring, warless, peace-ridden place?

I wouldn't worry too much, honestly... That's never been a hindrance in the real world (where rivers have often served as a border... until one side or the other crosses the river to conquer the other's land). After all... a bridge is not the only way to move an army across a relatively narrow body of water. There are often good fords soldiers can march/wade across, or they can build ferries. Or, if all else fails, build a bridge yourself.

Over time, though, borders do tend to default to natural boundaries like rivers for the reason that (a) it provides a handily visibly line of demarcation and (b) it does tend to prove at least a minor hindrance to invaders, and even a minor hindrance affords some level of protection. That being said, I'd still say that it's insufficient protection to prevent wars altogether.

Ascension
09-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Xerxes built a bridge of ships to cross the Bosphorus into Greece so I wouldn't worry about not having any wars. "He looked at me funny" is often enough to start something.

Tensen01
09-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks guys... it was something I was a little worried about.

Now I just need to develop the nations a bit more and figure out why their at war :D

Tensen01
09-15-2009, 02:11 PM
Alrighty... not sure if I should keep updating this as all I'm doing is adding new places to the map and that's not terribly exciting... But here it is anyways.

Karro
09-16-2009, 09:19 AM
I'd say update to your heart's content.

And looks good, by the way.

If possible, I'd change the font labeling Lake Vaerran to the same one used for other physical features, to keep consistent. You've got a lot of fonts going in this map, and cutting one out and keeping consistent would help. In fact, I think I'd make Mine, Sites of Interest, Main Roads and other physical features all have the same font since you're using different fonts to represent different nations.

PokealypseNow
09-16-2009, 06:55 PM
I'd say update to your heart's content.

And looks good, by the way.

If possible, I'd change the font labeling Lake Vaerran to the same one used for other physical features, to keep consistent. You've got a lot of fonts going in this map, and cutting one out and keeping consistent would help. In fact, I think I'd make Mine, Sites of Interest, Main Roads and other physical features all have the same font since you're using different fonts to represent different nations.

I concur. On both points.

Update as much and as in depth as you'd like. However, one thought might be to make separate maps for different topics so it isn't information overload on the reader.

For my current map, I'm aiming on keeping the info density rather low - as I'm planning on it being a wall poster sort of thing - and then creating a series of more modern, reference style "atlas" maps for keeping track of everything else that a worldbuilding writer needs to track.

"Okay, so this group is about seventy miles northwest of these mountains here.. that's what...? **opens 'Atlas - Geography'** Ah, the Tiny Dancer Marches. Nice. Hrmm. What sorta marches is that there? I forget? We talking buffalo roaming Oklahoma? African savannas? **opens 'Atlas - Biomes'** Oh, Mediterranean scrub land. Well, guess it's time for the half crazy olive farmer to show up in the plot line..."

Tensen01
09-17-2009, 02:14 AM
Hmmmm... I might do that with the fonts... We'll see. Maybe it's just me being new but I like the variety of fonts :)

Yeah, this map is not the map the players will get to see. This is my personal main map... I'll probably hand draw the other ones or something to that effect. I do intend to let them see the full map without any labels though... Already have it printed out, mounted and laminated.

And that is way more detailed than I ever thought of getting...

Karro
09-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Hmmmm... I might do that with the fonts... We'll see. Maybe it's just me being new but I like the variety of fonts :)

Yeah, this map is not the map the players will get to see. This is my personal main map... I'll probably hand draw the other ones or something to that effect. I do intend to let them see the full map without any labels though... Already have it printed out, mounted and laminated.

And that is way more detailed than I ever thought of getting...

Yeah, I'm kind of a font-whore, myself (who isn't?), but for purposes of graphic design it's generally considered good practice to limit the number of fonts in use to keep the design tight and focused. On the other hand, if this is just for your personal use, it really doesn't matter, just so long as you like the finished product. But if you think your players might see the fully labeled map at some point... it might be nice.

Coyotemax
09-19-2009, 12:42 AM

wonderful map here. I still love the mountains.

Hopefully none of your players visit the site :)

Lathorien
09-27-2009, 03:20 AM
I have been searching and searching for the texture you used for the mountains both here and using google. Could you post the texture or a link to where you downloaded it from, i think it might be the missing piece to my GIMP maps... please? :)

Tensen01
09-27-2009, 04:30 AM
I have been searching and searching for the texture you used for the mountains both here and using google. Could you post the texture or a link to where you downloaded it from, i think it might be the missing piece to my GIMP maps... please? :)

Well, I know I got the texture off here somewhere, but here's the texture.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l1/tensen01/map/goodmountains.jpg

Keep in mind I did NOT make this... but it is awesome.

Lathorien
09-27-2009, 01:14 PM
THANK YOU!

now's time to do some experimenting.... :)