PDA

View Full Version : Hexingtide [WIP]

PokealypseNow
09-01-2009, 11:45 PM
So, roughly a year ago I stumbled across the forum here and put up my worldbuilding map project under the "Umbraland" title. However, I didn't develop it any further, and my little pet opus went through about another four names. On a whim at work one day I decided to just temporarily suspend the naming issue and codename it SLUG. It's worked pretty well for me so far. :lol:

So over the past couple weeks, I've started to pick up the SLUG project again, trying to mix the antique and worn map style that I started earlier (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3270), and combo it with a more vibrant color pallete and suggest a pseudo-satellite/realistic style. I'm approaching that by having the antique elements frame the continent which itself will be of the more realistic style.

We'll see how it works out!

Here's today's WIP - please ignore the lack of rivers and the crappy suggestions of mountains. I got ahead of myself after drooling over Tear's Westros map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=6795). If I was smart, I'd go back and place the mountains, make them look good, and then set up the river systems before marching into texturing.

But if I was really smart, I would have been working on my portfolio redesign and emailing some clients for the past three hours - not working on the map!

Ascension
09-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Dude, way cool texturing on the land...looks painted. Very nice.

Diamond
09-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Dude, way cool texturing on the land...looks painted. Very nice.

What he said.

I also really like the wood-cut-ish coastlines; they contrast really well with the terrain.

Coyotemax
09-02-2009, 01:57 AM
I could make a suggestion about the borders, especially on the right hand side, it's hard to see some of the numbers and such - maybe a 1 or 2 px stroke that matches the background texture?

Really, it's a darn fine map, I'm very impressed with the land effects! And interesting background as well, if you'd told me this was all scanned in I would have believed it.

PokealypseNow
09-02-2009, 02:45 AM
I could make a suggestion about the borders, especially on the right hand side, it's hard to see some of the numbers and such - maybe a 1 or 2 px stroke that matches the background texture?

Yeah, the latitude numbers are going to end up being brought in from the borders so you can see them clearly - it just hasn't happened yet!

Coyotemax
09-02-2009, 05:54 AM
Fair! By the way, i do love the moon phases too :)

I would say more about the map portion, but i don't think I can expand on what I already complimented on without seeming redundant :P

Steel General
09-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Very nice, my only real suggestion would be to lighten up the rhumb lines, or do no have them show in the lakes/inland seas.

PokealypseNow
09-03-2009, 12:45 AM
Spent the better part of the evening working out a new mountain & texture process (lots of layers building on top of each other combined with a gradient map of the typical topographic colors to help me gauge height, basically) and come up with this so far.

I really like the general effect. A whole lot. I'm not exactly pleased with the mountains and parts of the texture themselves, so I'll be going back this weekend to tweak that. Tonight, I just wanted to get the basic process down.

After that, then the rivers!

AslanC
09-03-2009, 01:55 AM
Very very very cool

PokealypseNow
09-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks! I think tonight I'm going to work some on the rivers, and then backtrack some and keep tweaking the mountains & topography.

PokealypseNow
09-05-2009, 04:57 AM
Alright, started work on the river systems tonight and got about halfway throug the major "big" rivers before wanting to just fall asleep on my keyboard. So, not much of an update, but I also adjusted the style of he coastline to work better with the rivers, threw the folds' shading back in over the land, and tweaked the blue ocean coloring a bit.

Now, to bed!

Gandwarf
09-05-2009, 05:00 AM
This is starting to look great!

PokealypseNow
09-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Not too much to report here - more of a "bump" to say I'm still here! Just been too busy on the real world from of redesigning my portfolio and beginning the job hunt to worry about the map.

So, in the little bit of time I've had, I've mostly been working away on the river systems - holy crap, this has been super tedious work. The update today is just a hack job working briefly to start to get a feel for my text layers - at least as far as nations and cities go. I'll handle major geographic regions differently, but not sure how at this point.

Also, last night I took some time to stop and relook at how I'm organizing my map topography for this project. I'm going to have 11 different files that will eventually go into the final map! :o That's fun.

Steel General
09-16-2009, 08:41 PM
I like the labels so far.

You might try a dark stroke around them to give a little contrast with the terrain.

PokealypseNow
12-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Does anyone get to a point in their map making where they just want to raze it all to the ground and start over?

Everything is still in play in the world design, but I just can't seem to settle down on a continental shape that I really like and be able to fill out all the different parts.

Blarg.

Coyotemax
12-04-2009, 06:31 PM
You should talk to AslanC. :)

4 months later, we finally have a map he's happy with!

Really though, I like your landshape, I wouldn't scrap it if it were me :)

Steel General
12-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Does anyone get to a point in their map making where they just want to raze it all to the ground and start over?

Happens to me all the time, can't tell you how many different versions of my homebrew maps I've created and scrapped over the years.

Even the one I posted here a few months ago I don't really like anymore.

Ascension
12-04-2009, 09:49 PM
That's why I don't even try to make my own personal world. Instead I make lots of little worldlets so that I don't become too wrapped up in it and if I don't like it then I make a new one. That's why I make a new map every two to three weeks and post it up. Personal worlds are too...personal ;) The personal world that I have in my head will forever remain there for if I let it out it will no longer retain it's special importance...sort of like virginity, I guess you could say. With new cartographers whipping out sexy new eye candy every few days my special world will quickly fade and eyes will wander. And once that's gone then nothing will inspire me so much and things begin to lose meaning and beauty and it becomes humdrum and average.

Now if only I could write as easily as I can philosophize things would be much easier :)

PokealypseNow
05-24-2010, 12:49 PM

Everything is still in play in the world design, but I just can't seem to settle down on a continental shape that I really like and be able to fill out all the different parts.

Blarg.

Well, it took me six months, but I believe I've finally settled down on a visual shape I really like. Sheesh!

So, I took the weekend to try and get a lot of work knocked out. The map on the right is the earlier version, while the more ocean-blue dominated version on the left is the most recent update I saved out yesterday around midnight.

I really like the typeface I've chosen (Fertigo Pro (http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/exljbris/fertigo-pro/) FTW!) and believe the type styles are working pretty good (that orange pretty much blew me away).

I wasn't planning on using a lot of color outside of the continent itself, but after seeing how the orange and the turquoise ocean made everything really pop, I think I'm going to be changing directions visually and going with a much more colorful look.

The land texture and color is getting there. Still got some touch-ups to do and those mountain ranges need some major work (Oh look! Sudden clumps of gray!)

But we're getting there.

Still a ton of labeling to do, along with icongraphy, and the making of roads / paths in Photoshop. But, that's more to do with the worldbuilding end of things than a strict cartographic problem.

Hope you guys like it so far!

Diamond
05-24-2010, 04:02 PM
WOW. Those are probably in the top 3 maps I've seen posted here. The colors are just amazingly beautiful, especially in the one on the left, and you're right, that orange text is perfect.

I think someone mentioned it earlier, but the one thing I'd change is to make the lat/long numbers stand out; right now they blend into the frame border.

Definitely repped.

alizarine
05-25-2010, 02:51 AM
Aside from the gorgeous terrain, fantastic color (orange!) for the labels, and the overall amazing'ness of this map, I gotta say I love how some of the "paint spatters" in the ocean look vaguely like sea-creatures. Doesn't look deliberate, but just glancing at some of them I see sea-creatures ^.^ I really like the combination of antique-style border with the more realistic style map and modern-style typography (and those colors!) Great job.

- Alizarine

PokealypseNow
05-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the compliments, guys.

On my latest update, I've added in more legible latitude and longitude numbers (without removing the old ones from the border - that's just gonna have to wait, hahaha), done some more texture work (I think the major mountains are looking okay, but the basin and range region in the north central needs some work), and added in the peaks and sites icons along with trying out the road styling.

Still so far to go!

Ascension
05-25-2010, 05:36 PM
I have two thoughts. The folds might be too much. I guess you could use them as a grayscale for a displacement to tweak the borders and that might give it some depth cuz the borders don't curve to fit the folds. Minor thing, shrug. For the rest of it I think it might be too textured. The flatlands and plains and deserts might need to be flat and boring with just color swirls (or maybe some dunes or low hills) but no heavy texture. Break up all of those bumps with some flat spaces, shrug. The colors are super sweet and the light gradient on the text is fab. You've got a real knockout brewing here.

PokealypseNow
05-25-2010, 06:10 PM
I have two thoughts. The folds might be too much. I guess you could use them as a grayscale for a displacement to tweak the borders and that might give it some depth cuz the borders don't curve to fit the folds. Minor thing, shrug.

I like the effects of the folds quite abit, so they'll be staying. However, I totally agree with your thoughts in how they interact with the border. The whole border needs some tidying up. Distortions into the folds is a great idea for realism.

For the rest of it I think it might be too textured. The flatlands and plains and deserts might need to be flat and boring with just color swirls (or maybe some dunes or low hills) but no heavy texture. Break up all of those bumps with some flat spaces, shrug.

I agree totally! From a distance, the texture isn't bad at all, but when you zoom in, most of it just gets too distracting. I'll be fixing that when I update the basin & range region.

The colors are super sweet and the light gradient on the text is fab. You've got a real knockout brewing here.

Thanks!

Jaxilon
05-25-2010, 08:05 PM
I only just now have read this thread..with all the things going on here, my own real life busy-ness and projects I know there are tons of apples flying off the cart that I don't even get to look at. It's depressing but there are many days where I just have to tear myself away from my pc and go take care of business because it's up to me to keep the ship of my life afloat. The fact is, all I really want to do is stay home dream dreams and make art. Curse the world!

That's why I don't even try to make my own personal world. Instead I make lots of little worldlets so that I don't become too wrapped up in it and if I don't like it then I make a new one. That's why I make a new map every two to three weeks and post it up. Personal worlds are too...personal ;) The personal world that I have in my head will forever remain there for if I let it out it will no longer retain it's special importance...sort of like virginity, I guess you could say. With new cartographers whipping out sexy new eye candy every few days my special world will quickly fade and eyes will wander. And once that's gone then nothing will inspire me so much and things begin to lose meaning and beauty and it becomes humdrum and average.

Now if only I could write as easily as I can philosophize things would be much easier :)

So that's why I can't bring myself to work on my personal world map? I am on the same path as you Ascension. I sort of started something but I can't seem to get back around to it because I can never seem to do it justice. I see myself most likely having all the locations and dungeons done but still no world map. Seems ridiculous but I think you hit the nail on the head.

This is a very good looking map by the way and I love the orange lettering.

PokealypseNow
05-28-2010, 02:27 PM
So, ignore the river violations on this one - just updated the texture and coloring, then pasted that into my rrivers file, and then pasted both of that into my labels file. Things are kind of off as a result.

Diamond
05-28-2010, 07:51 PM
I didn't think awesome could get any more awesome, but I was wrong. Damn. I love this map.

rdanhenry
05-30-2010, 01:01 PM
I love what you've done with the colors.

Boslok
05-30-2010, 02:16 PM
Very nice.

tilt
06-01-2010, 06:04 AM
So finally got around to reading this thread - always a bit dauting when the thread is long allready, but since I needed a distraction from studying I thought this would be fitting - and I'm glad I did read it - really beautiful map - lots of good details, which all have been mentioned above ;)
Have some rep with my almost new mace of nice repping +3 :)

PokealypseNow
11-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Took a chunk of the weekend to do some map work after not touching the thing for months (instead handling more of the crunchy worldbuilding stuff).

Most of the work, as you can see, if the updated border. Finally liking it, but am not satisfied with the coloring and grunge efects. Still a ways to go there...

Steel General
11-08-2010, 03:53 PM
It's a little dark for my tastes, but well done nonetheless!

ExMachina
11-08-2010, 04:12 PM
I like the map a lot. :) I particularly care for the colors and how you have approached the terrain. The labels all blend together with the map as well. My only issue is with the folds/creases as they seem to be a little abrupt. Maybe you could try smoothing them out as you would expect of a map with some age?

I also just noticed how much I love the colors and the brushwork on the oceans. :)

+ REP :!:

Aval Penworth
11-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I am really impressed with this map. The folds don't add anything in my opinion. Love the rest though.

Hai-Etlik
11-08-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm not a big fan of the airbrushed/satellite look for fantasy maps, but it's very impressive. It's interesting to see an equidistant conic projection being used (It was actually used in ancient Greece) The labels for the graticule down at the bottom don't really line up though. There seem to be two overlapping bits of text on the legend.

Steel General
11-09-2010, 08:51 AM
After a second look (on a different PC), I hereby retract my previous comment about it being to dark for my tastes (damn crappy laptop!)

Sapiento
11-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Good composition of texture and colours.

PokealypseNow
11-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the compliments.

@ Hai-Etlik - Yeah, need to line up the graticule better. I originally had them lined up much closer to the original border, but with the redesign, I needed to push them out. Only now it runs into the map legend (which is a whole 'nuther issue in and of itself). Glad you like the projection - I wanted to try something different, and think it's worked out pretty well.

@ Aval and ExMachina - For what it's worth, I really like the folds, so they are just gonna stay. My goal is to print this thing out (30" x 40"), get it framed nicely, and place it on the wall. I think the folds help with the aged/antique wualities of the map (which are certainly offset by the typography choices and the coloring//style of the continent itself, but I'm happy).

ExMachina
11-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the compliments.

@ Aval and ExMachina - For what it's worth, I really like the folds, so they are just gonna stay. My goal is to print this thing out (30" x 40"), get it framed nicely, and place it on the wall. I think the folds help with the aged/antique wualities of the map (which are certainly offset by the typography choices and the coloring//style of the continent itself, but I'm happy).

Well I wasn't implying that they should be removed, I'm just suggesting that it may be worth trying to smooth them out a bit. As they are now they kind of divide the terrain up into boxes with the sudden shift from light to dark being a little abrupt.

I would certainly like to see what it looks like hanging on the wall!

cfds
11-10-2010, 01:46 AM
This may sound a bit stupid but if you are going to print it, why don't you just fold the printout to get folds? They won't come more realistic than that.

Diamond
11-10-2010, 04:49 PM
That border is absolutely fantastic. And for what it's worth, I like the folds as they are. :D

The only thing I'm a little iffy on now is that road (?), the light blue line running from Oongala to Asweyr. It looks off somehow. I don't know if it's because it contrasts too much with the terrain, or if it looks too smooth, as in not going around impassable natural features, or what.

PokealypseNow
11-10-2010, 06:23 PM
The only thing I'm a little iffy on now is that road (?), the light blue line running from Oongala to Asweyr. It looks off somehow. I don't know if it's because it contrasts too much with the terrain, or if it looks too smooth, as in not going around impassable natural features, or what.

I concur 100% and probably would admit in even stronger terms how much the current road design suck big ole hairy gorilla balls. I don't like it, but for the time being, the road system is sitting a bit at the bottom of the list: I need to take a gander at other maps and see how other people are styling them.

Given the varying colors and textures of the map itself, I will need to use some kind of border to strengthen it visually, and along with the textures of the typeface, I don't think a flat color line will work...

Diamond
11-10-2010, 11:22 PM
You could do a very low-opacity white line, varied in thickness/dotted depending on if it's a major or minor road. That way you'd still see the terrain and the roads might blend in a little better while still being visible.

PokealypseNow
12-06-2013, 04:04 PM
OOOOOOHH SHIIIITTTT IT'S BAAAAAACK.

Because I've torn the world down and built it back up again - or at least a substantive part of it, even thought some familiar geographic elements remain in place.

Still working out the topography, weather, and drainage systems. Specifically, the weather and biomes of the northern third of the map is proving tricky for me.

How would that big Mediterranean-esque sea affect weather patterns and rainfall? How would the rain shadow work with those horizontal mountains and the big fjord-gulfs (even though it's going to be pretty dry on that coast, anyway)?

And large body of land drawing antarctic weather to the tropics? Any sort of monsoon effect from the open ocean?

Please note: the rivers are an obvious quick and dirty sketch of general placements, the raised relief effect is a WIP, and I've no particular interest in going all the way back to the nitty gritty of plate tectonics.

Diamond
12-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Right on! Nice to see you (and this map) back in action.

PokealypseNow
12-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Right on! Nice to see you (and this map) back in action.

Thanks! We'll see how it shakes out, eh?

jbgibson
12-10-2013, 11:51 AM
First thought re climate & weather - if you want a coherent, plausible pattern, might it be worth roughing out the rest of the planet? Or at least the rest of the Southern Hemisphere? Effects on this continent won't be hugely affected by mountains, gulfs, or inhabitants elsewhere, but whether the rest of the Southern Hemisphere not depicted is all ocean or 75% land could affect air & sea circulation massively.

Not sure barely touching the Antarctic circle is enough continental coldness to slurp beaucoups of frigidity equator-ward -- are you pegging average warmth of the globe as roughly earth like? Using earthly equivalents, Tierra del Fuego isn't nearly as big a weather maker as Siberia and Nunavut.

Nice landforms. Those bodies of water up north are going to have interesting societal effects...

PokealypseNow
12-10-2013, 08:34 PM
First thought re climate & weather - if you want a coherent, plausible pattern, might it be worth roughing out the rest of the planet? Or at least the rest of the Southern Hemisphere? Effects on this continent won't be hugely affected by mountains, gulfs, or inhabitants elsewhere, but whether the rest of the Southern Hemisphere not depicted is all ocean or 75% land could affect air & sea circulation massively.

Not sure barely touching the Antarctic circle is enough continental coldness to slurp beaucoups of frigidity equator-ward -- are you pegging average warmth of the globe as roughly earth like? Using earthly equivalents, Tierra del Fuego isn't nearly as big a weather maker as Siberia and Nunavut.

Nice landforms. Those bodies of water up north are going to have interesting societal effects...

Thanks for the reply!

I could get around to sussing out a world map. From a writing and setting perspective, I'm exclusively focused on this particular area, but wouldn't mind having the rest of it for reference. For now, would setting a general 50% work?

The only important part of the world, historically, is ensuring that a Polynesian level of technology culture of people in crude boats could reach the northern tip of the world from some other point. Past that, I don't care, truthfully.

I've attached a set of maps that I'm using to work out the climate and biomes. The first is the general overview of prevailing winds and ocean currents, followed by a couple stabs at areas of high/low pressure and guesses at precipitation. The precipitation maps really threw me for a loop, and I'm not sure what is right and what is wrong.

My stab at the biomes is the last map (the one with all the color). It doesn't exactly match up with the precipitation maps, so I'm not sure what I should go with.

Also, the effect of that large sea in the top third and the biomes/climate of the top subcontinent is giving me fits.

Would appreciate any help in getting this sorted out!

PokealypseNow
02-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Am still open for suggestions and input about the biomes and climate.

But, I spent some time this week working on the antique paper map style. Still a long, long ways to go, so consider this more of a design experiment. But, still, I'm pleased with large swaths of it (even though large swaths also remain in bad shape, unfinished, or not even started).

arsheesh
02-21-2014, 03:38 AM
Those borders are killer! Did you draw those yourself?

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Nathan
02-21-2014, 04:36 AM
Indeed they are awesome.

PokealypseNow
02-21-2014, 12:36 PM
Those borders are killer! Did you draw those yourself?

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Thanks! I can't take too much credit, though, the borders and corners were cleaned up, edited, and re-purposed from a set of different woodcuts and vintage maps I have saved. I wanted to get in the ballpark with the look and don't have any illustration skill myself.

Regardless, I'm happy with them thus far.

PokealypseNow
03-05-2014, 03:36 PM
And the project keeps rolling along. Some minor tweaks to the landmass and I'm finally very happy with the layout of the continent. I think part of it is that I've finally been able to nail down exactly all the general/larger cultures and states that will make up things.

Moving forward, I'm going to be separating this project into two different maps:

1. A satellite-like shaded relief map. Focus is on realism and a modern, National Geographic-esque style of presentation. I'd like to use this map to locate major cities, trade routes and goods, geographic features, and political labels.

2. More of an "antique" fantasy map. I may or may not use the shaded relief topography I've come up with. That design element is still up in the air, but this will be more of a classic woodcut and ink with borders on parchment style that has already been displayed recently in this thread.

Here's the modern atlas so far. Text styles are a mess, there are no rivers, and the land texture and topographic/relief overlay still needs a lot of work. Everything needs a lot of work, really.

arsheesh
03-05-2014, 05:54 PM
This is coming along very nicely.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh