PDA

View Full Version : *** September 2009 Challenge - Passage of Time ***

Ascension
09-02-2009, 05:16 PM
This month's challenge will be, of course, the Passage of Time concept map suggested by DevinNight. The idea here is to do a map that shows how the passage of time has affected an area, how big that area is is up to you. How you represent the passage of time is also up to you. It's basically an anything goes type of map so long as you show the main basic prerequisite...the effect of time on an area. Here are some examples:

- You could show the various additions to a castle and how it grows (structure mapping).
- You could show how deep the dwarves have dug their caves over time (dungeon mapping).
- You could do multiple maps that shows a transition from village to city (town mapping).
- You could show the travels of some particular hero and the battles he fought (regional mapping).
- You could show the extent of the Mongol Horde over various decades (continent mapping).
- You could show the effects of terraforming a planet or the effects of global warming on ours (planet mapping).
- You could show the voyage of the Enterprise and the regions they discover (Galaxy mapping).

Any size, any, scale, any scope, don't let my examples restrict you. If you're going to do multiple maps then please composite them together into one image. A legend might be required to explain the various things in your map so don't forget that. This challenge will end on or about the 25th of September...when I get the time to close it

You've got just over three weeks so don't bite off more than you can chew...do something that you know that you can get done and if there is time left over then you spend that time tweaking and fiddling, we love tweaking and fiddling, don't we?

Tear
09-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Nice.

I'm a bit swamped at the moment, but I'll try to get something in later this month. Again, great idea DevinNight.

NeonKnight
09-02-2009, 06:36 PM
I'ma gonna try and participate in this ;)

Steel General
09-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Me too...maybe this time I won't be so rushed to finish it.

Gamerprinter
09-02-2009, 07:26 PM
I'm not, but if I entered, I see something as simple as a fortress, palace, temple (?) in pristine "in use" condition, then 800 years later as a haunted, abandoned site. Would work for a storyline like, the adventure party ventures into the haunted ruins at such and such place, encounters a ghost who desires freedom into an afterlife, he needs an item that was lost on the day of his death to be buried with his bones. A related artifact is hidden in the ruins that will help the party find the location of the missing one. Upon touching the artifact, the party enters a temporal wake and instantly go back 800 years to the day of the murder of said ghost. Now they have a day of investigation and adventure to aid the final death of the protagonist spirit.

Most of Ascension's ideas suggest expansion of dungeon/city/empire which I hadn't even considered at the idea of the challenge. :o Again, anything applies! I look forward to see some entries soon.

GP

Coyotemax
09-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Dangit! I was actually thinking along the lines of the city gone to waste before I read what you had :)

I think I've had some practice with this concept challenge with the Cruzamento maps.. :)

Anyhow! Off to ponder...

töff
09-02-2009, 07:46 PM
- You could show the various additions to a castle and how it grows (structure mapping).Hah, I was just about to start one of these! AWESOME, maybe I can enter a challenge at last!

Gandwarf
09-03-2009, 03:51 AM
I might participate (for the first time), but not sure yet... going on a holiday in about a week, which leaves precious little time :P

bryguy
09-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Interesting theme. Just curious though, but how exactly are our entries to be formatted? As one map? As two maps, one at one time, one at another? Something else entirely?

Gandwarf
09-04-2009, 01:32 PM
The format is up to you. Practically you can submit only one image though, as our thumbnail scraper just gets the first picture. This means if you want to do four maps to show the passage of time, you should stitch them all together into one picture.

Ashenvale
09-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Damn you all, you tormenting devils!

An author I often tandem with had an adventure manuscript greenlit for possible publication around December or January. I've done one map of a dungeon complex for that adventure already. He's ased me to do two more maps showing a small but thriving medieval village and the same village after it's abandoned and largely overtaken by vines and forest. It would be perfect for this challenge!

But I'd structured my real work (painting) and my moonlighting (this stuff!) to begin the maps in mid-October. I've no idea how I'd re-jigger things to get them done by September 25th!

But, ooohhhh, it's sooooo tempting!

You vile villains!

Gandwarf
09-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I blame Ascension...

bryguy
09-04-2009, 02:20 PM
The format is up to you. Practically you can submit only one image though, as our thumbnail scraper just gets the first picture. This means if you want to do four maps to show the passage of time, you should stitch them all together into one picture.

Would it be acceptable to make an entry and refer it to a previous map that was not an entry to show how time has changed the area shown in the entry?

Gandwarf
09-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Well, I would say you need to enter something you specifically created for this challenge. This does mean however you can take a previous map and create a second version of it specifically for this challenge (the second map showing the passage of time affecting the first map). You wouldn't be breaking any rules.

I would still advise you to try and combine the two maps in one image though as people will vote looking at the thumbnail thread... and there will be only one image per person in that thread.

armoredgear7
09-04-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm thinking I'll make something for this challenge too. It probably won't be as time-intensive as Oten-Jo, which is nice since I start school again next week.

töff
09-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Well, I would say you need to enter something you specifically created for this challengeI had the need to do my Woadsbury map project anyway. Does that disqualify me?

Gandwarf
09-04-2009, 04:55 PM
As long as you aren't submitting finished maps that you did before the challenge, everything is OK.

bryguy
09-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Well, I would say you need to enter something you specifically created for this challenge. This does mean however you can take a previous map and create a second version of it specifically for this challenge (the second map showing the passage of time affecting the first map). You wouldn't be breaking any rules.

I would still advise you to try and combine the two maps in one image though as people will vote looking at the thumbnail thread... and there will be only one image per person in that thread.

So a map based off of a region of another map (Modified of course to show difference in time) would be acceptable?

Gandwarf
09-05-2009, 05:04 AM
Yes, that would be acceptable. Because you would still be submitting something unique, something you are creating specifically for this challenge.

Immolate
09-05-2009, 11:05 AM
I don't wish to complicate matters on this challenge, but if you allow someone to use prior work as a point of comparison for the challenge, don't you open the door to people introducing their masterpieces, long since done, into a contest where others cannot possibly produce a comparable work in the given time? How do you instruct the voters to ignore the beauty of the prior work and be unaffected by it?

I really don't wish to be difficult, but someone could truly give themselves a huge advantage without violating the rules as stated so far in this thread, and all without ever intending to. I would hate to see someone put serious time into an "after" map of their masterpiece, only to have the administrators of the contest decide during the process that it's really not fair. I would also hate to see a lot of folks feeling like they lost because of someone else's prior work instead of because the other guy did a better job.

In the interest of good criticism, I would like to offer a viable alternative to the present course. I don't know enough to offer a perfect one, but that doesn't relieve my obligation to make the attempt. Perhaps if you limit prior work to that which is unpublished and on which substantial work has not already been completed...

I think the same predicament is present with using the work of others in that using an existing map or other piece as a take-off point will result in people weighing-in the quality of the borrowed work.

Again, sorry for lobbing bombs, or monkey-wrenches, or whatever.

Gandwarf
09-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Yes, I guess you could use a masterpiece and only tweak a few things to show the passage of time. We would like to see a lot more effort however, so the new piece should almost be an entirely new map. That is one of the core rules. You should submit a map that you made specifically for the challenge.

This is a special challenge though, so let's see how it turns out when people are allowed to take a previous map as the basis. One thing I have learned is that the people on this forum act very grownup. Also, we are not giving away Oscars or something...

If I am wrong, there's even an award for messing things up :)

Thanks for your comment by the way.

Ascension
09-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Personally, I think we should let it go and see what happens. If someone does do as Imm says then we will know to be more restrictive for future challenges. Although there is no real way to prevent someone from just taking an old piece (that hasn't been shown before) and if it fits the challenge then just throw that up. In the end, we trust in everyone's good intentions...until it becomes time to not do so. If you feel that someone is violating the essence of the challenge or outright cheating then just send a private message to a community leader and we will review it.

We try to be a real guildhall and as professional and courteous as possible. What we do is very niche so there will be a bad seed every once in a while. The main goal is to always expand your repertoire and learn new things, prizes are secondary. This is also why we try to stay away from basic challenges like "draw a castle" because just about everyone has a castle or two laying around in cold storage that they could throw up at any moment (note to self, draw some castles).

The essence of the challenge is to start and finish a map in a certain time frame as this will help people get used to working around schedules. It's all about having fun and learning so experiment and have fun with it. If you earn some respect or inspire someone or teach them something that they didn't know - I count that as a win so that's why I do what I do...winning is nice but respect is better. And nearly every one of us knows what that feels like when you "wow" someone either with a great map or a great technique or a great trick. So map on my friends.

MysticMagellan
09-05-2009, 05:40 PM
I like this conversation and the candid responses. Everyone has a good point, and I think they are all well said. When I heard about this challenge I was both excited and sad at the same time because I've already got my Taristal map completed and was intending to work on another map for the site that represents the city (now called "Shardport") that it would become centuries after a magical disaster that occurred early after it's founding. Personally, even though the rules have expanded to allow me to do this and enter it in the challenge, I think I'll do a new map instead, mostly because I don't think I'd be challenging myself enough with the Shardport project since I planned both maps before I began the first.

Another thing to take into account is the amount of work required for certain maps. If someone is doing a passage of time layout on a city like Oten-Jo, then I'll be really impressed. If it's a small town, maybe not so much unless there is a very creative difference. Anyway, I think there are challenges to be faced either way and I'd like to see what people come up with both with using prior maps and without.

PS - If I get the time the map I will be creating for this challenge will be a Tomb with Egyptian themes. The first being the original layout, the second being a partially sand-filled, collapsed, and looted version discovered a few hundred years later.

Cisticola
09-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Hi folks...am I late?

Sorry been very ill of late...getting back to full strength slowly....

This looks a cool topic....how long I got?....when's the closing date?.....better get mapping

ravells
09-16-2009, 02:59 PM
*** This challenge will end on or about the 25th of September...when I get the time to close it ***

Plenty of time!

töff
09-22-2009, 04:31 PM
25th, the deadline?

I'm screwed. I have only Sunday the 27th to work on -- and finish! -- my piece.

Whose wife do I have to sleep with, to the get the deadline pushed to the 28th?

ravells
09-22-2009, 04:37 PM
They key words are 'on or about' the 25th. It just depends on who is around and has time to close it.

töff
09-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Well, "on or about late on the 27th," my piece will be as done as it'll ever be in the month of September.

demetri0us
09-24-2009, 02:15 PM
I've lurked here for a year now, I always intend to join the contest, this time I might just make it... Now if I can figure out how to post...

Is the deadline, like 11:59? ...or just sometime that day?

Gamerprinter
09-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Hard to say, the CLs have been trying to be more timely about getting the challenge closed on time, allowing plenty of time for the next challenge, but its gone as far as the end of the first week of the next month. Though like I said, they are trying to get it right recently.

GP

Ascension
09-24-2009, 08:06 PM
I wanted to close the post early so that the voting would be done before the next challenge starts up...sort of like having a week off from work. I always get confused when two challenges are overlapping...I'm kinda dumb that way. At any rate, I want to see everyone get done so I pretty much have to hold off on closing the challenge until the 27th, evening-ish...central standard time. I could be persuaded to hold off until closer to midnight for a good tortellini dinner :)

töff
09-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Next time I am within 50 miles of you, I'll buy you dinner :)

Ascension
09-27-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm not feeling too well today so I might hit the sack early and thus not be around at midnightish. If someone wants to close it in the morning then sweet, I'll give my toff dinner to ya. Otherwise, I'll close it tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work.

töff
09-28-2009, 01:23 AM
Get well soon, my friend!

Immolate
09-28-2009, 08:08 AM
This was a huge challenge with great numbers of excellent entries. I've really enjoyed this one. Rather than make a dozen posts, I will just say thank you to everyone who participated and to those who took the time to comment and offer opinion and advise. Rep to you who completed the challenge. You earned it.

Gandwarf
09-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Just looked at the thumbnails... voting is going to be insanely difficult. So many good entries it isn't even funny anymore.