PDA

View Full Version : September Entry: Voyage of the Godslayer

Ascension
09-06-2009, 07:45 PM
The whole reason that I got into mapping in the first place was to someday make this map in a satellite style so that I could walk the land of my favorite story. Some fanboy I turned out to be...I just learned that David Eddings passed away back in June and his wife, Leigh, had passed away 2 years ago. So this map will serve as a small mock up for a larger work...an homage to a story that has influenced me more than any other thing in this world, the two people who wrote it, and the cartographer (Shelly Shapiro) who originally mapped it. I will be following the hero and noting important events in his life. The larger one that I, eventually, do will follow his grandfather, the Eternal Man, the Old Wolf...my mentor.

I'll be putting in the towns and roads next and then start the actual voyage of Garion. You'll notice that it isn't in satellite style but something more artistic...I feel that I owe it to them. There will be much more to come but this is what I have so far after one day.

### Latest WIP ###

töff
09-06-2009, 07:59 PM
The Estuary Police (me) like this map!

Some other people in the Sep. challenge (me) will fear it.

Immolate
09-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Eddings and later, Jordan, were my inspirations. Tolkein would have been proud. Nice map Ascension, though it's been so long since I read Eddings that I barely remember any of the geography.

Gidde
09-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Great start! As someone who has reread these two series so many times that I've worn out 3 separate sets of the books, I can't wait to see the finished product :)

Ascension
09-07-2009, 12:36 AM
Ok, so here's where I am at on the map - started the labels, roads, and the route...about halfway through book 3 (going to Prolgu). Now I'm going to get a snack and go to bed.

### Latest WIP ###

Gandwarf
09-07-2009, 05:47 AM
Eddings died??? I knew his wife did, but didn't get the news on his demise.
Darn! The Belgariad was the second fantasy series I read, after the Lord of the Rings. I was 12 or something back then.

Great map so far... it really makes the world come alive again for me.

craggles
09-07-2009, 06:09 AM
This is excellent! The map is so beautiful and I love the colours used, it's my favourite green and blue. :)

I have one small problem with it though and that's the road colour. It differs from the rivers only because of the outline on the road but I think a different colour entirely would be better suited for roads.

Steel General
09-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Very cool so far...I'm also a big Belgariad/Mallorean fan.

My only nit-pick is the fiber(?) effect, it makes the whole map seem kind of blurry - at least to me.

Redrobes
09-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Belgariad was a fabulous set of books. I credit Eddings with the best character banter of any book. Though I liked the story I did find that it was just a tour round a fantasy world. The Mallorean I liked but less as I found that the two sets of books told much the same story.

This map looks like its going to be a corker again. I like the color range this time. I don't feel as though I will have to set my card gamma or my monitor brightness to see it properly.

I agree with above comments that the path taken is like the river color and also that this cloth weave type thing on the top is a bit strong. I made a version without it just to see what that would look like. I think something with it in but less strong was best for me tho.

I like the font and the lettering in general. Its been so long since I read it last that I forget where he goes exactly but I recall that its basically all over the place.

Immolate
09-07-2009, 08:09 PM
My only suggestion would be to use political borders that aren't beveled. Everything else seems to be "flat", so the beveled lines really pop.

Ascension
09-07-2009, 11:37 PM
The reason for the heavy texturing is to make it look like a tapestry...the edges and fringe will get done last. That being said I turned it down a notch for now. Put in all of the stuff from the first series and debating whether I want to put in the stuff from the second (town names and such but not the voyage). For the voyage line I used the Color Dynamics on the Brush Editor, it might get kind of lost but I thought that I'd explain it anyway in a mini tut (next post). Tweaking the terrain as I go along, put in the forests, swamps, escarpment, etc. Took the stroke off of the roads but now they get lost...kinda like that though.

### Latest WIP ###

Ascension
09-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Here's how to color-fade-stroke a path:

craggles
09-08-2009, 05:11 AM
It looks even more beautiful now that the forests have been added!
(how did you do the forests by the way?)

jameswllorimer
09-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Awesome map.. it's the kinda thing i was looking for when I stumbled upon the Guild a few months back; though mine is hopefully going to end up as your initial suggestion, that of a satellite map.

Anyway, bravo sir.

DevinNight
09-08-2009, 12:45 PM
It seems every time I come here I run across a map that is stunning, and makes me think how much work I'm gonna have to do just to get 1/10th as good as you guys.

Great looking map. I haven't read the books in some time, but I recognize a few spots.

Steel General
09-08-2009, 01:08 PM
I think the 'tapestry look' is much better now, it doesn't overpower the map itself.

Those trees are some of the best I've seen...c'mon give it up, how'd you do them? :D

Any chance you're gonna do the maps from the Ellenium and the Tamuli series'?

Ascension
09-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys. SG, probably because those are more interesting coastlines and I can use cooler fonts :) The forests were pretty long and tricky but I'll do my best :

I started with the 9 pixel hard round tip and white color, set the spacing to 90% (so that they would overlap but still produce something bubbly), then set the scatter to 200% in order to produce something randomly splattered around. I drew in a rough shape for a forest and then went back and filled in the middles with some more blobs (with this same tip and not the paint bucket because the tip will leave lots of empty spaces and that's the whole important thing...it's not one giant blob). Then around the edges I put some scattered clumps with the same tip. Next I filled a layer with solid black and merged the two layers together and hit it with a small Brush Strokes-Spatter (used 5 on both settings)...this gives me something less "rounded" and more noisy but both ways look good. Delete the blacks, apply a pattern overlay, color overlay (dark green), drop shadow (5 on all 3 settings) and textured bevel of the same pattern (default PS pattern known as molecular at 50% scale to give me some height on my treetops) and the colors were a yellow green and dark green for the bevel highlight and shadow.

On a new layer I did clouds, then 20 iterations of difference clouds, gradient mapped a dark green and reddish tan to the black and white clouds, trimmed to fit, and set to the layer blend to hue...now I have color variations of green to brown trees. I then duplicated my land bump map - the one I always run lighting effects on (the second one from my tuts not the first one that gives mountains), trimmed this to fit and set to multiply to give me some more undulation.

Kinda long but those who know the techniques can follow pretty easily. I particularly like the areas where the swamps are...the trees really seem to come alive in those areas with more 3-dimensionality...and the swamps are just a pattern (PS default called towel at 200%) and dark teal color (blend mode of multiply) underneath the trees. So all in all; one shape layer with layer styles, one color adjust layer, and one bump layer.

craggles
09-08-2009, 05:14 PM
I love it - it really gives the feel of individual trees as opposed to a blob of forests!
(and I WILL be using that technique on any future map I do)

Steel General
09-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Cool thanks...I'll have to give that a try sometime.

No way I would've ever come up with that, my PS-Fu is not nearly strong enough. :)

Looking forward to seeing the Elenium and Tamuli maps if/when you get to them.

Gidde
09-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Have to agree that the texture looks much better now, and I like what you did with the path. It's a lot easier to tell the difference between travelpath/river/border now.

Tiny nitpick: Looks like you've got a typo in #8: sometihing

Eilathen
09-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Awesome, Ascension! I also dearly love the stories told in the belgariad and malloreon...the party-life portrayed in it was excellent...always reminded me of a very good rpg session :D

Have some rep.

Gah, apparently i have to spread the love around some, before i can rep you again. Well i hope you get a lot of rep from other sources ;)

Ascension
09-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Thought I'd just post a small update since I haven't had much time the past few weeks. Don't even know if I'll get to do the finish graffix. Basically, I added some snow to the mountains, redid the travel route, and hit it with an accented edges filter to give it an artsy look.

### Latest WIP ###

Gidde
09-27-2009, 07:30 AM
That really looks great. I like new path a lot better, it's much easier to see now.

cvtheoman
06-20-2012, 06:22 PM
this looks great! mind if i use it for a game mod i'm working on?