PDA

View Full Version : The Port of Marascar

MysticMagellan
09-07-2009, 02:00 AM
This is the first fully designed city map I ever created, which I made for the players of my personal campaign. I styled it after a few city maps I saw in the Cityscape which were made by Mike Schley.

Once part of an old, now nearly forgotten nation, Marascar was absorbed upon that nation's collapse by the expansion of a new and powerful empire. Over the centuries it has become a rough and tumble port city supported by slaving, mercenaries, and a large foreign market just outside the southern wall. Order is maintained by soldiers and disciples of the God-king of the empire, who overlook the city from a Temple compound perched on the western cliffs.

EDIT: Tree modification.

Gamerprinter
09-07-2009, 02:10 AM
Nice job, MM! Though you were inspired my Schley's maps, I'd like to think my having you try your hand at city mapping with Oten-jo, gave you some tools and experience for tackling another city map! I'd REP you, but I need to rep others first, but I'll catch up to you.

GP

Gandwarf
09-07-2009, 05:52 AM
I was able to rep you :)
Very nice map. Layout looks very realistic and I love the simple style of the houses. The cliffs and fortress are very well done. It's professional quality I think... a map worthy to be included in some module for example.

So how much time did it take you to create this map?

Ascension
09-07-2009, 07:53 AM
With your forests, I like the color and texture but not the bevel...looks like spilled soup or something :) Maybe if you had some empty spaces in there, shrug, I dunno. Outstanding otherwise with everything else.

Steel General
09-07-2009, 07:55 AM
I'm w/Ascension regarding the trees... everything else is very good.

MysticMagellan
09-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Eww.. you're right about the forests. When I did this map a while back I was trying to imitate a certain style, but I think I disabled the drop shadow somewhere along the way, which might have helped, but the smoothness of the edge does give a spilled soup look. I also noticed something else that bothers me about the forest layer, so I'm going to tweak it a tiny bit and update the image.

Nightwish_
09-08-2009, 02:55 AM
What programm do you use?
Very nice job ;)

MysticMagellan
09-08-2009, 06:05 AM
For this map I laid out the roads in Illustrator, but everything else is Photoshop.

ophiucha
09-14-2009, 12:40 AM
Outstanding work. :)

Tom_Cardin
09-16-2009, 01:40 PM
I love how clean the lines are. The illustrator work really shows nicely. My favorite part is the ocean and the slight wave details you painted in there.

You may just want to make your forests out of individual trees and definitely go easier on their outlines.