PDA

View Full Version : Eastern peninsula

Andartar
09-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Hello
I've been lurking here for a while now and have finally worked up the courage to post something.

This is still a WIP of the eastern peninsula (yet to be namned) of a greater continent. I've attached a map which depicts the location of the peninsula.

I've used Pasis excellent tutorial and I also found some great inspiration in Tear's Westeros map, apart from that I've done a lot of experimenting with textures and techniques.

---------------
Joakim Englander

Gandwarf
09-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks for delurking!
Your map looks great and I gave you some reputation for it. You really mastered Pasis his style and added some things of your own. The rivers, winding through the forests, look especially good.

Moved your thread to Regional/World mapping.

Finis
09-07-2009, 01:49 PM
I like the color palette a lot. And the mountains look very good too.

Coyotemax
09-07-2009, 01:57 PM
That is very nice!
I love those forests and the lakes.
Looking through and being nitpicky, I'm not finding anything to comment on that I think could improve on it. Yowza!

Katto
09-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Great start! The mountains look very good.
I would remove the sea's overlay pattern, because it doesn't fit to the land, but this is just my opinion.

Steel General
09-07-2009, 03:53 PM
First off...Welcome Aboard!

Very nice map. Looks like you have quite a lot of work ahead of you to map that entire second image you posted.

Andartar
09-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Thank you all very much!

At the moment I'm not fully satisfied with the sea-part of the map, so I'll probably do some adjustments to that layer. I also plan on adding grass to parts of the map to make it appear less barren.

Steel General: I have quite a bit left to cover the entire map, but on the other hand, that means that all my future sparetime is saved :).

Gandwarf
09-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Hmmm... I like the sea as it is.

Coyotemax
09-07-2009, 05:51 PM
I rather like the sea the way it is. Others may not think the way I do, but I thought it went very well with the style of the land.

Andartar
09-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm experimating a bit with the hue of the sea-layer, otherwise I'll let it stay the way it is. Getting a suitable look for the sea has been the most difficult part in doing this map.

I really appreciate your input on this.

Coyotemax
09-07-2009, 06:17 PM
By the way, i don't know if you've already thought of this, but what I did when working on a series of maps in the same world is to copy the layers across to a blank template map as is (and make sure they are clearly labeled, heh) then just select all and delete, that way I *know* the layer effects are consistent throughout. This also makes it easier if you're planning on stitching them together later, that way you can copy in the original landmass, move it over so there's overlap, and then seamlessly continue the terrain from existing work.
And definitely label your textures clearly, and save your pattern file often in the relevant directory :)

(learned through hard experience there)

If you've already thought of it, more power to you (just thinking ahead as one new mapper to another, heh)

Andartar
09-09-2009, 07:52 AM
That's a good tip! I've thought of something similar and I'm keeping close track of which colurs I use and other adjustments done to the map to ensure consistency.

Here's an update with grass and roads added, I've also added an overlay to blend the colours.

Next up is placing towns, castles etc...

Steel General
09-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Coming along quite nicely.

LonewandererD
09-09-2009, 08:23 AM
Whoa, nice map Andartar, very nice.

I tried to do pasis's style once myself but could never get it right but you seem to have gotten it no problem. Love to see more. Repped.

-D-

Ascension
09-09-2009, 03:27 PM
The only thing that I can say is that the forests around the mountains are kinda dark but everything else about them looks good. Maybe try putting a new layer on top of the forests and airbrushing some lighter green in to lighten them up a tad or two. The forests on the grasslands look real nice.

su_liam
09-09-2009, 04:46 PM
That forest texture is making me feel all warm and happy. Then, suddenly, angry and envious that I can't seem to get that effect.

Nice job. :)

Gandwarf
09-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Holy Smoly... still improving on Pasis his style I see. Very nice!

Andartar
09-10-2009, 04:38 PM
The only thing that I can say is that the forests around the mountains are kinda dark but everything else about them looks good. Maybe try putting a new layer on top of the forests and airbrushing some lighter green in to lighten them up a tad or two. The forests on the grasslands look real nice.

Yes it all became a bit dark and blurry in that version, so I've lightened it up a bit and cut down on the grass.

Su_liam: Thank you :) I've used a pineforest texture for the darker areas, other than that it's Pasis' forest texture and a hue/saturation layer.

Andartar
09-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Time for an update, I've added a border and cartouche. The towns etc are all placed and some other stuff.

(The scale is: 1 mile = 1,95 km
1 league = 2,5 miles; 4,8 km)

Coyotemax
09-11-2009, 09:37 AM
I'm finding a bit challenging to follow some of the borders, especially where they go through forests.

That's the only thing I could add, this is bloody gorgeous. As much as I'm settling into my own style for this sort of map, this has me rethinking the direction I'm going :)

Steel General
09-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Things I like...

The whole map in general - nice work
The style of the border

Things I don't care for to much...

The font - very difficult to read
The color of the border - for me it's to close to the mountain color.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing more from you.

landorl
09-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Great map, but I do kind of agree with the others about the font. It is a cool looking font, but it is difficult to read in some places. The borders are also a little difficult, but not too bad.

Ascension
09-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Saint Andrew's Queen is a really cool font, I use it myself whenever I can. But what I do is to put a faux bold style on it to thicken it up just a tad. You can find the faux bold on the Character window (also has faux italic, underline, all caps, small caps, strike-through, etc.).

Gandwarf
09-11-2009, 04:43 PM
As I stated before I think the map is gorgeous. I don't care too much for the labeling though... the font doesn't fit somehow. It might be because it's really thin, but still... not my favorite.

Andartar
09-13-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm aware that the borders can be a bit tricky to see at times, I'll see what I can do about them. And I'll play around a bit with the colour of the map border as well to make it more distinct from the mountains.

I am in fact having second thoughts about the font, it can be difficult to read at times. The font coupled with the names (all names are Old English) makes for a very European feel. I'm thinking of making a world inspired by East Asia and I'm not really sure which font to use.

I've been quite busy this weekend but I'll post an update when I've worked out some of the problems with this version.

Coyotemax
09-13-2009, 12:49 PM
When I get stuck for which font to use, I start browsing through my collection (i have way too many) or page through dafont.com - just come up with a 3 or 4 word description for the feel you want, and jot down the names as you see ones that perk your interest. then go through and start comparing those side by side if you can. I use Amp Font Viewer to load them as temporary fonts, then place them all one after the other in the file i'm working on in photoshop) until I narrow it down to one or two, and if I still can't decide, i flip a coin :)
Plus that way you can test out the layer effects as you go - sometimes they don't look quite as neat as you thought they would once you start bevelling or outlining, too.

Andartar
09-13-2009, 02:06 PM
This is just a test with an other font, what's written will be changed later.
The brushwork in the background says the same thing but in japanese.

Does a font like this work?

Coyotemax
09-13-2009, 06:38 PM
In the shot you have there it does work, for sure. that's a nice font in my opinion. But what happens with the smaller sizes, if you're using that for labelling cities and towns? My concern is that it would get lost in the map details (blend into forest, mountain, or other terrain)

Andartar
09-14-2009, 05:47 AM
I think it works out fine even in smaller sizes, I've thinkened it up a bit and added an outer glow to make it stand out more against the background. And it does give the map a different feel than the previous font.

This is why critique is so important, thank you all very much!

Gidde
09-14-2009, 08:27 AM
I really like that brush work; I've been thinking of doing the same thing in Elvish on the Middle Earth map I'm working on. Thanks for posting it, now that I see it I'm sure that's what I want to do!

I like this font much better, it's very striking.

Coyotemax
09-14-2009, 11:14 AM
*Octoclops Approved*

lol

Yes that works. The town level is riding that razor edge, but if that's the closest it's going to get to blending into the background, it should be workable.

Andartar
09-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Gidde: It's always nice to be of some help to someone :)

Coyotemax: If it turns out to be too small, I can always make the text a little bit larger, but I think that it will be readable in all places now.

In this version I've added labels to almost every town in the southern part, and some north-south-west-east indicators. I've also tried to make the country/province boundries more prominent.

Next up is labeling all the other towns, and see what I can do about the border colour...

Coyotemax
09-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Yeah, that's looking sexy :)

Andartar
09-17-2009, 10:30 AM
Coyotemax: Sexy, hahaha!

There are some changes in this version.
First of all I didn't really like the idea of using japanese as the language, and since my own invented language isn't done yet I've just picked random names from it to label all places (except the castles and watchtowers).

I've also changed the border colour to ber more distinct from the mountains.

I don't think there's so much more to be done here before I move on to the next part of my worldbuilding project. I've yet to do the sea routes and maybe label the major rivers and lakes.

Gidde
09-18-2009, 11:41 AM
This looks really nice!

My only nitpick is that the mountains look a little too reddish, but that's just personal taste. All in all, beautifully done :)

Andartar
09-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Gidde: Yeah I know, it all started out as a test map to try out Pasis tutorial, and when I played around a bit with the colouring of the mountains I still thought that the default gave the best look.

Here's probably the final version of this map, I've already started on an outher part of the world map. Hopefully it will be easier to see the province borders in this version. Place namning will most certainly change, but I think it's time too call this one finished, for now at least :)