PDA

View Full Version : I said i was a bad artist/cartographer

csotnalucard
09-10-2009, 11:20 PM
And i realize that i have not proven it, well this is my current map, its finished, its suppose to be the basic layout of the necropolis for my campaign, Oh and i don't make realistic maps so if something in this map is odd or not realistic then a wizard did it (usually a named wizard with a detailed back story and life and ambitions of his own with a good reason for doing it but a wizard non the less). Oh and the darker/shaded area inside the cave/city is lava (or whatever its called when its underground) because in this area of the world if you dig deep enough you will find lave (a again a wizard did it). So now you know what i meant by what i said when i introduced myself and why i don't post more maps.

Ascension
09-10-2009, 11:33 PM
I see nothing wrong with it...I like it :)

NeonKnight
09-11-2009, 04:00 AM
Looks good even if it violates my preference for clusters of joined buildings. But hey, still a cool city.

Lucas_Adorn
09-11-2009, 04:11 AM
Actually I think that the clustered boxes are fitting in this map. It adds to the feeling of graveyardiness :)

Coyotemax
09-11-2009, 04:28 AM
It reminds me a lot of the New Orleans cemetaries.

http://ciderpresshill.com/blogs/neworleans/C44/

Perfect for a necropolis!

Steel General
09-11-2009, 08:09 AM
I see nothing wrong with it.

wormspeaker
09-11-2009, 11:31 AM
It's called magma when it's underground.

jerriecan
09-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Don't call yourself a bad artist - I quite like it.

csotnalucard
09-11-2009, 06:17 PM
that's very nice of all of you to say, i know i will never be as good as the people who post their maps regularly but it's nice of all of you to say you don't find much wrong with it (oh and thanks for telling me it was magma). The city has some story with it but I don't think anyone want to here it.

Coyotemax
09-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Sometimes it's the story that brings out the details. I like the stories, and i actually do read them.

And keep working at it, the only way to get better is to practice.

Think of it from this perspective - your map may not be as pretty as some others, but pretty is not what makes a map. yours is clearly laid out, easy to follow, and doesn't distract from it's purpose. If you dropped it in front of someone who had never been there before, and they needed to find their way around, could they use your map to do so? In your case, absolutely. That's actually something I'm striving to get back to, mine are sometimes more complicated than they need to be :)

Juggernaut1981
09-28-2009, 11:37 PM
Dude, it's decidedly better than craptastic. I've got a nice big pile of random pencil sketched maps hiding in files from the "Oh ****E, I'm running a D&D game next week" school of "map making".

töff
09-29-2009, 12:01 AM
Remember the difference between ARTIST and DESIGNER. Your art is ... acceptable (and it can improve). Your design is very cool!

I am always trying to get people to draw their designs, even though they complain that they have no art skills.

Korash
10-03-2009, 07:21 PM
There are a couple of things to remember when you criticize your map making ability:

1 - City maps are some of the harder and more time consuming maps to make.
= You have to admire the time and effort that went into them.

2 - Hand drawn maps take a LOT more time for someone who does not do it on a regular basis. Even pros take time doing it. The main reason for this is that the "delete" and "redo" commands are a BITCH ;)

All that been said, I have to echo what the others have said "good job" and "I like". You will notice that you are getting rep for this, which means that you can stop knocking your mapping abilities and get cracking and show us some more :)

Repped so you can stop the bad self-c&c ;)

Tiana
10-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Remember the difference between ARTIST and DESIGNER. Your art is ... acceptable (and it can improve). Your design is very cool!

I am always trying to get people to draw their designs, even though they complain that they have no art skills.

That's right! You've got it right on target--artist is different than designer. Design is hard to learn and the city design is good. It might not be artistic, but the design is solid and believable. And you can always learn art or get someone to go over and prettyify it.