PDA

View Full Version : Canttarcia - WIP

Historyhead
09-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Here is a WIP for critique. I'm trying to get a topographic atlas type style for this and have been trying to get a right 'look' for the map. So far I'm happy with this but any critiques would be helpful. This is based on a world landform with some modifications.

Many thanks.

Jason

Coyotemax
09-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Reminds me of antarctica :)

Looks pretty decent to me, the elevations are very clear, your rivers look very well thought out, I can't really think of anything to add at this point.

Nice!

Steel General
09-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Love the mountain shapes... I agree with CM don't see anything that need changing at the moment.

LonewandererD
09-12-2009, 10:06 AM
How this looks pretty darn good (archaic expression, I know). The shape of the landmass looks quite realistic. As for what more could be done, I dunno, maybe add some differing water depths to break up the blue.

-D-

AslanC
10-07-2009, 08:15 PM
How did you make it? In Photoshop?

If you did a tutorial on how to get those elevations would rock :)

Ascension
10-07-2009, 10:18 PM
You can get that with a gradient map on b&w clouds. RobA posted some great sites with gradients that you can download in the Elements section here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4698).

AslanC
10-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the link :)

Now understanding that I am at best a noob with these things, how would I use them? Pretty please?

Ascension
10-07-2009, 10:34 PM
In PS, Image - Adjustments - Gradient Map = scroll through your loaded gradients.

Gregorus Prime
10-07-2009, 11:13 PM
I think you should move the whole landmass up a bit so it's more centered. All that blue up top attracts the eye, and unless there's going to be a lot of adventures under the sea there's no reason for it to be there.

Gidde
10-07-2009, 11:34 PM
I'd agree with Gregorus Prime, but that's also a great place for a cartouche and a rose, so I'll wait until it's finished to fully second the centering suggestion.

Historyhead
10-09-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback. This map is done entirely with CC3 topographic style from the annuals. I still haven't finished it but agree that I don't quite like the centering. So I need to fix it a bit. More than anything I still am learning how to put maps together and looking at different styles. This map is based on a map of what Antarctica with be like with the ice removed. I've just modified it slightly. I think it gives a good coast outline.

Historyhead
10-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Here is the map in a different style. I like the colour scheme but still deciding on the elevations. Still have more elevations to paint on to complete it.

Karro
10-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Hmmm. I like it. Looks good, looks clean.