PDA

View Full Version : Demagoria - Antique Map Style

Katto
09-12-2009, 08:29 AM
This is my first try in following Ascension's Antique Map Tutorial and it shows the continent Demagoria. Following the tutorial step by step I had a labeling problem. I added too many towns and villages so it was a problem to add the country names properly. The naming of mountains, seas and other places of interest was not possible. Next time I will start with large fonts and the work down to the smaller labels.

What do you think about the layout etc.? Feel free to criticise, so I can improve the map.

Steel General
09-12-2009, 08:37 AM
I'd say it's a darn nice implementation of Ascensions tutorial.

I really didn't see anything that looked out of place or 'off'.

Keep up the nice work. :)

Coyotemax
09-12-2009, 10:10 AM
That's pretty darn nice.

This is a very nice crisp brand new look - I just may have to do one like it :)

Very nicely done, I really have no suggestions to improve on it. I do like how you got the mountain ranges to work with this style - something I was unable to get looking quite right. And the smaller ranges alongside the larger ones - excellent!

Gandwarf
09-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Have some rep Katto, that map looks great! Reminds me of some of the maps in the old atlasses at school. Like Steel General already said I don't see anything "off". No critique from me...

Ascension
09-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Nothing from me, I just glanced over it, though. I really like the muted colors of the borders.

Sapiento
09-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Good map. Have some rep.

Katto
09-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Thank you all very much. Making the map took much time especially the labeling. When you spend so much time with it, it might be possible to head in the wrong direction therefore I am glad that you like it.

Diamond
09-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Very cool. I like seeing the different interpretations of the same tutorial.

I started my map with the big text and am working down from there; it just seemed to me that if you wait until all the towns are named, it would be next to impossible to lay in the nation names.

Immolate
09-13-2009, 03:11 PM
I may be smoking crack, and by the way it's a lovely map that I really like, but my eyes picks up on the texture of the media, which is a canvas or other woven cloth texture. The style of the map is telling me I should be seeing paper instead of cloth, so it's jarring me. Just a little, mind you, but it is.

Katto
09-14-2009, 02:08 PM
You are right Immolate. It is a canvas background and it is a bit overdone.
I tried a parchment background and I must say the more I look at it, the more I like it.
Thank you.

Steel General
09-14-2009, 02:13 PM
I thought the original background was fine, but this is a very nice change, makes a fine piece of work 'that much' better :)

Gidde
09-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Yes, that background nailed it :)

Beautiful map!

Coyotemax
09-14-2009, 05:10 PM
To me, the yellow right in the corners seems a little on the bright side, almost like there's a glow from in behind the map. If that was intentional, nicely done, reminds me of a paper screen panel :)

As nice as the original was, this was a good choice. *applause*

PokealypseNow
09-16-2009, 06:47 PM
I gotta agree - this parchment background is amazing. I'm really digging this map. It just oozes and reeks of something authentic you'd find in a 19th century atlas.

Have some rep!

Karro
09-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Yep, that's a very fine looking antique-style map. Here is another dose of rep for your excellent efforts and great map.

Katto
09-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks to all! I am also quite happy with the "new" background.