PDA

View Full Version : [Paid? - Taken] Strange Fantasy Map Please

The_Lady_Tear
09-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Before I say anything else, thanks for looking at this post and thank you to anyone willing to help.

Commission
I don't have much money to spend on a map right now, so unless the map is really, really good then this would be an unpaid job. If you would like to do it and think you can add something really special, but require a price, let me know and I will consider it.

Time Constraints
Because I am asking for something for free, I don't feel right setting a time limit, but faster is better. I am using the map for a RPG I am already playing, one that is suffering from my poor map drawing abilities.

Style
Whatever the drawer thinks would look best. I am not really very artistic, so I don't know what styles would fit the map best. Although, I would think a cartoony kind of style might fit best. One where you have the wilderness and cities and stuff kind of popping out at you. I am not sure how easy/hard that will be, but it could fit the map type well.

Description of Map
Hopefully this will grab you map makers out there. The map is of a world that is very archetypeical, almost to an absurd level. The land of each nation takes on the traits of the nation. For some examples, the nation Sandlash is a giant desert covered in strong windstorms. However, as soon as you leave Sandlash the wind stops and you are no longer in a giant desert. The nation of Sin has many large cities where you can find anything and everything that is a carnal desire. In Unearthed you will be moving on rope bridges connected to the floating bits of earth over an endless chasm.

So for this map I will need specific terrain types based on the nation you are in. These types will not have gradual changes, but instead they will be shear boundaries separating the different nations.

The nations:
Land of the Blue: The most prosperous land. It is in the center of the map, and in the center of it is a giant blue tower. There are 3 cities at the edge of the nation and the rest is peaceful plains.

Necrata: Land of the dead. Necrata is a very large nation that is covered with ancient battlefields. Graveyards litter the nation. The land itself is dead, leaving no room for wildlife or vegetation. Necrata should border Sin, Malevolot and Floeth.

Quarrith: Mountain lands. Steep, tall mountains shoot up across this land. On its borders the mountains seemed to have been cut leaving a sheer edge and a long drop.

Frozen Plains of Floeth: This land is covered in ice. The weather is always sleeting, snowing, or having a blizzard. This place is also pretty large. It has at least 1 mountain chain, also frozen over.

Sandlash: As described above, a windblow desert.

Fiery Fields of the Holocaust: Like Floeth was frozen, Holocaust is always burning. What set it on fire is unknown, but it continues to burn. Volcano and streams of molten lava flow threw this land.

The Spiteful Lands of Malevolot: This nation is pretty large, slightly smaller than Necrata. The land is covered in rocky trails and overgrown roads. The cities are large and few.

The Virtuous Lands of Angela: This place is very peaceful. There a quaint little forests, nice paths leading to and from its many cities. Each city is white and spotless, and there are many of them. The majority of the landscape is plains. There are lakes and rivers. This is about half the size of Necrata.

Acrama: Land of magic. This is about the size of Malevolot. There is one great city in the center. All over the nation are tall wizard towers. There are ruins of old cities. There are ancient forests. Everything here is very old.

Exaltaria: This is smaller than Angela. Here there are a few cities, each with a great cathedral shooting out of it. The lands are covered mostly in light forests.

Dracatic: This place is the land of dragons. It is covered in different areas that are specific to different types of dragons lairs (if you are familiar with D&D that is what I am using, if not I can describe to you). I didnt have this in my map, but now I think it would be great to have it shaped like a dragon.

Unearthed: As I described earlier, this land is a giant chasm with floating rocks above it. The larger of the rocks are connected by rope bridges. There are a few cities, one of which is nested on the largest of all the rocks, the others are built on many rocks.

Serpantia: Land of the snakes. This will have forests and deserts. It would be nice to have it so that it is shaped like a snake with alternating forest and desert (like the pattern of a snake).

Mystik: This is the land of ghosts. It is covered in dead forests and desert that has no life (similar to that of Necrata). Should border Necrata. There are small ghost towns around the area.

Delusia: Land of madness. There is one city here, it is very large and unorganized. The rest of the land seems to fit a madness also. The forests are dense and tangled. The mountains are tall. The rivers flow is circles.

Wildlands: This is a land of dense dark forest. There are a few cities inside its branches.

Everwar: This land is a giant battlefield. It is mostly plains with cities all inside it.

Kieto: A large island chain. I could use a better name for this one also, if anyone has any suggestions. Each island has different geography.

Isles of Discordia: On the opposite side of Kieto. This is another island chain, only these islands are all small and clustered together.

Sin: As described above, this is a land covered in cities and roads. There is very little wilderness left.

Rockland: This is a land of giants. It is mostly hilly, but does have some tall mountains and lakes. It has 3 cities.

I tired to leave it kind of vague so that the artist has as much free will as possible to make the map cool. If you think you might want to do it, but need more, please let me know. I also have my sad map that you can look at to get some ideas.

The things that are most important is to get Land of the Blue in the center, bordered by Malevolot, Necrata, Exaltaria, Angela, Acrama, in that order (so going in a circle Acrama should then be touching Malevolot).

Quality
Better is better, but you cant really do worse than me so I will take anything.

Copyright
I don't really care as long as I can use it for my game. You (the artist) keeps all rights to it.

Hopefully this will interest someone out there. I had a lot of fun creating the idea and I think it could be lots of fun to draw. Please and thank you to anyone who will consider it.

I dont think I am allowed to get PM or send PM yet, so if you have any questions either post here or E-mail me The_Highelf_Tear--AT--yahoo.com (remove the --AT-- and add @ in its place).

Thanks to all
Tear

Gidde
09-15-2009, 09:58 AM
I must say, at first I was kind of put off by the concept, but then I started reading the country descriptions and now I'm intrigued.

Can you post your map? There are a lot of folks on this site who put me to shame, but I think this would be a fun project. If you don't get any other takers, I'd probably like to give it a shot.

The_Lady_Tear
09-16-2009, 02:23 AM
Thanks for replying! Hopefully I added it right. Let me know if you cant make anything out. Again, I am a really, really bad artist. Also, if you look at the map and the descriptions, there are some differences. I am trying to leave it as open to the artist as I can. If you need anything for it though, please let me know and I can try to describe it as much as possible. No one else has offered, so if you would like to give it a shot, that would be wonderful.

Ascension
09-16-2009, 05:49 AM
Give it a shot Gidde and if you get stuck, you know we are all here to help...just post your work along the way. If your style clashes with hers then maybe she can post some examples of what she likes.

The_Lady_Tear
09-16-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't think that anyones style will clash with mine because mine has none. But I will be glad to show some things that I do like if you think it will help you.

Also, I wanted to say thanks again.

Gidde
09-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the encouragement :)

I'll get working on this one as soon as I finish rebuilding my computer this weekend. I have a few more questions for you in the meantime ...

What's the scale like? If you give me a baseline (i.e., X country is about 200 miles wide) I can take care of the rest.

Are the borders instantaneous (like you can stand with one foot in each of two countries) or is there a strip of no-man's land between them?

If you're planning on printing this, how big are you printing it? (So I can get the resolution right).

Since it's for a game, do you need a grid? If yes, do you prefer hex or square?

That should be enough to get me started; If I have more questions we can set up email or IM :)

The_Lady_Tear
09-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Cool!

As far as scale, I can only give you estimates. I would say Land of the Blue is about 100 miles tall and 50 miles wide. Malevolot is probably 300 miles wide and 200-250 or so tall. This is just going off of how I was thinking about them in my notes and in my head, if you look at my map, they are not to that scale much at all. So again, I leave a lot of that in your arms. In the descriptions I gave some sizes compared to each other, and then with Malevolot, you should be able to get relative sizes. Also, on my map, you can tell which nations are larger and smaller, just the scale is screwed up.

I am not sure if it would be easier to draw it with more or less information. I am trying to make it as easy as I can by letting you have as much free will as possible. If you would prefer I give you more information, I would be glad to. If you would like, I can give you the approximate sizes of all the nations.

For borders, When I was thinking about it, I thought that they would be instantaneous. However, a strip of no mans land is kind of an interesting idea. I am not sure which would be more interesting, so I will leave that up to you, unless anyone else has a suggestion.

For printing, I havent thought about printing it out yet. I am not sure what is a normal size for these situations. I would like it at least to fit on one page, if that is not to difficult. Larger images would also be nice, so that I could see more detail. I also think I could get a printer to print out a larger version of the map if it was bigger than an average paper size.

So I guess, whatever you think is best. I would like enough detail so that I can use the map, but I don't want to put too much of a burden on you, and I am not sure if it gets harder with higher resolutions. I probably wouldn't want it much larger than the equivalent of 4 sheets of paper, unless you think that wouldn't have enough detail.

Sorry for being so indecisive. In my last game I had a player who liked and was good at drawing maps, so he always did them for me, and always by hand, so I have not done any printing of maps before.

I shouldn't need a grid. If you think it would look nicer with it, then I prefer square. If you don't think it adds to the map, then I would prefer it not be there.

Again, so sorry for being not very decisive. I will be glad to give you more information if you need it though. It might be easier, if you have questions, to ask over IM so that I can explain a little easier what I am thinking. I have windows live messenger, yahoo messenger and skype that I can use. If you would like to use any of those, then E-mail me The_Highelf_Tear--at--yahoo.com (replace the --at-- with @).

Thanks so much again, you are awesome!

Steel General
09-22-2009, 11:20 AM
So can we mark this one as 'taken'?

Gidde
09-22-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm not sure if that's a question for me or for TheLadyTear, but I'm certainly working on it.

Steel General
09-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Well if you're working on it, I'll go ahead and mark it as taken. We can always change it later, should something come up.

The_Lady_Tear
09-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Yes, it is taken as long as Gidde is willing to work on it. Sorry, I didnt know how to change it.

Gidde
09-22-2009, 04:31 PM
No worries, I think the community leaders have to be the ones to change it anyhow.

Redrobes
09-22-2009, 07:16 PM
This sounds very interesting. I am/was waaay too busy to slice any time to doing it so kudos to Gidde. Just wanted to say that there's a silent / hidden audience... no pressure ! LOL :D but glad someone has gone for it.

Gidde
09-24-2009, 01:27 AM
We thought it would be neat to have iconic shapes representing all of the countries, so here's step 1.

*Note: This step is really ugly, as right now I'm just worried about getting good symbols for each archetype, and their general size and placement in relation to each other.

The symbols in the bottom right corner (kieto) are japanese kanji for "island country" (shimaguni). They'll just be the basic outline for the island chain (same with the apple for the isles of discordia).

I didn't label the different countries for not wanting to cover the symbols, they're all in pretty much the same spots as on LadyTear's sketch .... the only one i'm really not happy with is Rockland (the "symbol" is a pretty shabbily-drawn cave mouth), but I'm out of ideas on that one.

The_Lady_Tear
09-24-2009, 03:41 AM
Wow! It looks so great so far. I really like the way you got them all to fit together, the are already starting to blend nicely. I love the way you made Holocaust the flames coming from the dragon of Dracatic. I will try to come up with something for Rockland.

Steel General
09-24-2009, 07:34 AM
That's a neat idea and looking pretty darn good so far.

Gidde
09-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Thanks guys! (and phew! I was afraid you'd hate it.) I'm glad you liked Holocaust; that was probably my favorite part.

Well, since this stage seems to have gone ok, I'll be starting to create a land mass from this starting tonight. Stay tuned :)

On Rockland: My brother suggested a geode, which I really like the idea of; I'll try to work that in as well.

msa
09-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Wow, really innovative and cool map. I never would have thought to produce something like that but I'm keen on it. And it really is exceptionally creative. Great work! Looks like the Lady is in good hands :)

The_Lady_Tear
09-24-2009, 05:55 PM
A geode could work. I had a better chance to look over it, and I must say, it is great so far. The images you choose are great and I still cant get over how they are fitting together. I cant wait to see the next step. Thanks sooo much.

Gidde
09-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks!!

I think I have the shape of the coastline down, and I've roughed in the mountain peaklines, which will provide about half of the definition for the shapes. The rest will be done with forests, rivers, deserts, etc.

The really thick peaklines will just be higher mountains, except for the areas that are totally filled in which will become mesas.

It's actually quite liberating to put stuff in where it looks cool rather than obsessing over plate tectonics and weather patterns. I'm having a blast with this, I'm glad I took it on :)

Coyotemax
09-24-2009, 07:14 PM
It's actually quite liberating to put stuff in where it looks cool rather than obsessing over plate tectonics and weather patterns. I'm having a blast with this, I'm glad I took it on :)

And thats why this is going to look so dang cool when you're done. I already love it.

The maps you have the most fun making always turn out the best :)

The_Lady_Tear
09-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Wow!! That looks great. It is coming along really nicely. The tree for wildland looks great and I still love the fire for Holocaust. I have a few questions though. Some of the places have become very hard to see (mostly Delusia and Serpantia). At a later stage are you going to put borders around the nations so it is easier to see where they are? Also you talked mesas. I love the idea (never had any in my games) but I am not sure what you mean totally filled in. Could you point out where the mesas are? Last question, for unearthed, I noticed it was black around the rocks, but then it is bordered by blue. Are you setting it up so there is like a river or lake between Unearthed and the other nations? Either way works, I just need to make sure I note it for my game.

Again, it looks wonderful. Thanks so much. Can't wait to see the next stage.

Gidde
09-24-2009, 07:38 PM
@Coyotemax: Thanks, you made me blush lol.

@LadyTear: I'm glad you like it so far :)

Those places weren't really very mountainous, so their detail will be done in other ways. I am planning on doing borders, but that will probably be the very last thing I do.

The mesas so far are the spines on the dragon's head, and the middle section of blue will be a plateau with sloping sides where the facets of a diamond would normally be. I'm also planning on making the outside of Rockland's geode (between the two mountain ranges already there) highlands.

My plan (but don't get your heart set on it because it's going to be HARD to pull off) is to have the mainland have beaches onto the ocean, and then the ocean just drop away into nothingness for Unearthed. I'm keeping in mind that your players need to be able to get there though, so I'll probably move the chasm a bit so that some of the outer islands are sitting on the very edge. It'll be a real challenge to sail there, but gaming is all about challenge ;)

As always if you need anything changed let me know!

Ascension
09-24-2009, 08:42 PM
If I bogged myself down in tectonics then I'd never get anywhere because I'd spend all of my time on that...I wanna play not do homework. Let yourself go and mess around...if you're gonna make a mess then make a big one. Looks great so far, maybe use some rivers as lines and not all mountains.

Gidde
09-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Yep, I actually took this on partly because I'd be forced to not do the homework, and think fantastical for a change. A nice skill to have when the ultimate goal of learning this stuff is to map my fantasy novel ;)

I actually was a little worried that I went overboard with mountains; I'm going to have to play with the ratio once I start making rivers and forests for some of the lines.

Steel General
09-25-2009, 07:50 AM
Looking forward to watching this develop.

The_Lady_Tear
09-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Sorry haven't posted in a while. I really like the idea of the center of blue to be a plateau, it fits so well. I also like the sound for Unearthed, it sounds like it would look really cool. I am glad you like working on it, hopefully it is providing an interesting and different kind of challenge. Thanks again.

Gidde
09-27-2009, 09:16 PM
No worries! I finished my other WIP today, so now I can give this my full attention.

Gidde
09-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Ok, so some progress to post up. I really hate posting stuff this ugly, but 80% of the work in this map is figuring out where terrain goes lol. So, keep in mind that this looks horrible, it's just to get the terrain types in the right place.

I put a working legend on it so you can tell which color means which terrain. The palette will be completely redone; these colors are being used only because they contrast so much.

First Post is without the icon overlay from earlier, second post is with the icon overlay.

The_Lady_Tear
09-28-2009, 10:09 PM
I am liking it so far. I really like the way you did Delusia, it is wonderful. I also really like the way the way Floeth looks too, it works well with my idea for it. It would be nice for the mountains to also be whitish (to show that they are also snow covered), dont know if you were planning that or not. If it would be too hard or ruin the look of the snowflake then it is not that big of a deal. Are the swamps near Holocaust in Holocaust or in Dracatic (just to note it for my game). I also like the design for the snake that you picked. I was a little turned off by the Wildlands a first (I was thinking a great big thick forest) but now that I think about it, I really like the way you did it better. It could make for some very interesting adventuring. so far you have added a lot to the game, so thats really cool. I also really like the way Sandlash looks.

Overall, I am very excited. can't wait to see more. Thanks for all the great work you are doing!

Gidde
09-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Floeth mountains will indeed be white, no worries :) The swamps are in Dracatic, to provide habitat for ... shoot, was it black dragons that live in swamps? I forget which it was, been a long time since my D&D days.

I'm really looking forward to actually rendering some of this stuff, it just doesn't make any sense to not render all the forests at the same time, all the mountains at the same time, etc. etc.

Glad you like it so far, sorry it's taking a while! It's such a fun project I don't want to skimp on it.

The_Lady_Tear
09-28-2009, 10:31 PM
I think it is black. I am not sure what you mean by rendering, but I am assuming it means making it look cool, so i am also excited. Also I had an idea for Sin. Sin is going to be a large amount of cities and towns, actually, almost a continuous amount of cities and towns, all almost interconnected (kind of like LA). So if you can come up with some cool and not too difficult or annoying way to make a city type palliate (I think thats what its called), you can use that.

Even though these cities are all large and interconnected, they are all controlled by different people (pretty much CEOs). So the cities could be different colors or different types of buildings or have thick walls around them, things like that. I am not sure how easy or hard that would be, or if it would even look cool, but its an idea.

Gidde
09-28-2009, 10:33 PM
That actually really helps; I was at a loss there. It'll stay blank on the terrain map then, and it'll be citified in the actual map. Thanks!!

And yes, by render I mean making everything actually look like what it is, rather than big ugly blobs of color ;)

PS ... forgot a question. Do you have a number of the different cities? Even a ballpark ... 5? 10? 50? Thanks again!

The_Lady_Tear
09-28-2009, 11:12 PM
The number of cities depends on the nation. If you give me a little bit, I can give you a list of cities and their names.

The_Lady_Tear
09-29-2009, 12:45 AM
I am willing to take suggestions on any and all names. Also, I only gave the large cities. In a lot of the places there would be smaller towns or villages. I figured that sense you wanted number of towns that you would be putting them on the map. If you would like to deal with the smaller towns or villages then I can send you approximate numbers of those. If you donít want to deal with them, then that is fine. Also, I am not sure if you were planning on labeling them or not, so I gave the labels that I had already planned out. If you are planning on labeling them and you do include smaller towns or villages, I can give some names for them too (if you want to label them).

Also, if you are putting labels then could you keep a copy of the map with the cities but without the labels. That way if a label gets in the way I can see what is going on. If you have any other questions, please ask. Also, willing to take any input from anyone about names or numbers.

Land of the Blue: 1 point of interest called the Blue Tower. It is in the center of the Nation.

Necrata: Not very many cities. There will be 3 large graveyards (large enough to be labeled) and 2 cities. I am unsure about the graveyard names right now. One of the cities will be called New Necrata, the other will be called Mortville.

Quarrith: Quarrith has 3 cities. One is set at its lowest point, it is called Plotseling. One is set at its highest point, it is called Lang Hoog. The last is at the point that is toughest to get to, it is called Taai.

Floeth: There are 2 cities here, Vorst and Koude. There is also a point of interest, I was thinking where the mountains meet, called Ijs Piek.

Sandlash: There are 3 cities here. Sable, Vent and Vol Staub.

Holocaust: There is one city here, Firestorm. There are two other points of interest, Smokestack and Magma Point.

Malevolot: This one has one city, Rencor.

Angela: This has 7 cities. Chastity, Temperance, Charity, Diligence, Patience, Kindness and Humility (if you think these are too corny, then I can change then).

Acrama: This has 2 cities. I am not sure about the names right now. It also has 6 points of interest. 5 of these are mage towers, I will let you know what to call them. The last is called the Forest of Towers, it is a group of mage towers.

Exaltaria: This has many cities, I will let you know the number and names after a little bit (need to figure out the different religions).

Dracatic: This has one city, Okarthel.

Unearthed: This has 3 cities. One is on the largest chunk, it is called Felsen. The other two are unable to fit on one chunk, so they are on many chunks. They are called Spalte and Trummer.

Serpantia: There is one city here. It is called Slither. There are also 2 other points of interest, the Temple of the Black Viper and the Naga Pit.

Mystik: There are two points of interest here, the Mist Arena and the Phantom Stop.

Delusia: This has one city, but it has no name. It is called Vortex.

Wildlands: This has three cities. They are Haven, New Haven and Hope. I am assuming right now that for my game the mountains will be easier to travel than the forests. Haven should be around the area where the mountains start branching (where the tree branches would start). If you take the upper of the three forks you will come to another fork. New Haven should be in between these two paths in the forest (but not far from the mountains). If you go back to the first 3-way fork then Hope would be between the two bottom ones. Here the mountains almost connect in a full circle, so Hope would be in the center of this circle. Hopefully these are ok directions.

Everwar has 4 cities and 1 point of interest. One is called Warrior Arena. The cities are Standing Tall, The Fort, Bastion of Hope and Earthscar. Earthscar should be in the center of the Axehead (between the two mountain chains).

Kieto: There are 6 cities here. I am not sure about the names just yet. 3 should be located on the largest land mass, all on the coast. The 4th should be on that same land mass near the center. The other two are on random islands.

Isles of Discordia: these islands move, so it is hard to plot a city. There are 2, Golden Trees and Core of Discord.

Sin: As described before. Sin has 7 major business owners (and thus 7 cities kind of). I will let you know the names of these when I come up with them.

Rockland: This only has 1 major city it is called Big Home.

Steel General
09-29-2009, 07:39 AM
For Sin why not do something similar to what you did for Angela (sort of like its antithesis), maybe the Seven Deadly Sins ("Lust", "Gluttony", "Greed", "Sloth", "Wrath", "Envy", and "Pride")

Gidde
09-29-2009, 09:03 AM
Oops! I meant how many cities in Sin lol, but that's all great information!

I think today I'm going to throw efficiency to the wolves and start putting in actual terrain where it goes, since I'm a little stuck on the terrain mapping.

And I'll certainly keep a copy free of labels.

The_Lady_Tear
09-29-2009, 03:43 PM
I like Steel Generals Idea. So the 7 "cities" (again they are all kind of interconnected) will be Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Wrath, Envy and Pride. Pride should be the largest.

Gidde
09-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Will do :)

I think I've finished the rough terrain laying-out. Next I'll start detailing everything. Oh ... and the "dead" areas will be all of the dead things you mentioned ... swamps, dead forests, dead plains, etc. I just pretty much needed the base land color, and all of those fall under an easy "dead stuff".

The_Lady_Tear
09-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Look really cool so far. I still love Holocaust. I just had 1 question, you have chasm as being black, but on the picture it looks like a lightish blue? Everything keeps looking cooler and cooler, I cant wait to see the next update.

Gidde
09-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Woops! The bottomless chasm is still there, it's just on a hidden layer. Sorry 'bout that.

The_Lady_Tear
09-29-2009, 07:22 PM
No problem, just wondering.

Gidde
09-29-2009, 11:53 PM
Well, I have a good start on the rendering, I think. I decided to embrace the plastic on this one, to incorporate the cartoony look LadyTear was looking for into the style I've been developing.

I think it kinda looks like one of those bumpy globes we had in elementary school, which is neat, but if I'm on the wrong track let me know and I'll backtrack and go for a more realistic look.

The mountains are done except for some icecaps ... the flat spot in mountain country on the highest peak will be covered by an icon for the point of interest LadyTear mentioned in the cities post earlier.

Next forests, and those pesky icecaps.

The_Lady_Tear
09-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Wow! I think it looks really cool. I like the way it looks as is, so unless you think it would look a lot better the more realistic way or you would prefer it that way, then I say keep it. I did have a few questions. First, in the previous map there, in Delusia, there was a swirl on each end. Did you take that out or is it just not there because you havent rendered forests yet? Also I couldnt see the flat spot you talked about, could you give me a general description of where it is. The last question, you talked about putting in icecaps. I was wondering if you were also going to put in volcanos anywhere. The only place I figured they would be in in Holocaust. I love the way Holocaust looks, but if you dont think it would be that hard (or take away from how it looks) then maybe add some volcanos there. I am not sure how it would look, but it was a thought. Let me know what you think. Also, let me know if I am being irritating or if I am screwing with your image of it. I love your creativity on this, and I dont want to ruin that (you have added so much to the game so far).

Again, thanks for the great work, it looks amazing.

Gidde
09-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Yep, Delusia's just missing its forest. The river makes the swirl on the side with the mountain. The flat spot is between the middle two "peaks" on the coast, it's basically a flat square. The volcanoes and lava flows are their own whole undertaking, I wasn't even thinking of those with the mountains but I probably should have mentioned them. They're certainly coming. I was thinking I'd make most of those mountains in Holocaust volcanic, with "rivers" of lava running through the whole thing between the mountain ranges. I just have no clue how I'm actually gonna do it yet, lol.

So glad you like it :D

The_Lady_Tear
09-30-2009, 12:52 AM
Ok, I think I found it, I needed to zoom in. BTW, I havent zoomed in before, and I have to say, wow. The details when I did so were amazing. I like what you said about Holocaust. Hopefully it wont be too hard. Overall, I am super impressed.

Steel General
09-30-2009, 07:40 AM
This is coming along nicely.

One thing that kinda caught my eye is the transition from the sea to the chasm. It looks like it's missing something, maybe a inner shadow to give it some more 'depth' or something *shrugs*.

Gidde
09-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Agreed, SG, it's missing a lot. It actually has a drop shadow, but it's so dark it's barely visible. I was thinking maybe a bunch of foam/spray?

Coyotemax
09-30-2009, 08:24 AM
maybe have a waterfall going over the edge?

Gidde
09-30-2009, 08:28 AM
A waterfall would be ideal; sadly I'm afraid that might be beyond my skills :( I have a few dundjinni waterfall textures that I've been studying trying to figure out how they made the effect, but to no success so far.

Coyotemax
09-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Looking closer, I forgot it was a top down view - I was thinking it was isometric for some reason. Plus showing the mist at the bottom of a bottomless chasm wouldn't really make sense, lol. Though maybe have the waves bend when they get close, and have a mist effect right at the edges?

This is a toughie!

The_Lady_Tear
09-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Sorry to make it so difficult!

Coyotemax
09-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Challenging is good - it's what pushes us all to become better. If everything was easy, we'd never improve, right?

Gidde
09-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Haha, don't be sorry! Coyote's right, this is pushing me to get better. Heck, when it comes down to it, it was my bright idea to put that gorge in the middle of the ocean in the first place.

After some Google-fu, it looks like most of the mist actually comes from the bottom of a waterfall, so there wouldn't be much if any on a bottomless pit. There could be some froth at the top if there were rocks, but with something as deep as an ocean, I'm not sure. Gonna let this problem stew while I do something easier like forests ;)

The_Lady_Tear
09-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Ok, I will try to think about it too (but, seeing as I am not very artistic, i wouldnt count on it much).

Gidde
10-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Well, I got the forests in. I'm not sure I'm liking this look, but maybe I'm just stuck thinking inside the realism box. Gonna sleep on it, and see what I think of it tomorrow.

The_Lady_Tear
10-01-2009, 12:57 AM
I think it looks pretty cool, but I also think more realistic maps can look cool too. Also, I am sure the more you like the way it looks, the better you will be able to make it, so I leave it in your capable hands.

rdanhenry
10-01-2009, 04:07 AM
The bottomless pit should be so dark you can't see anything. Like the drop shadows on the islands inside it. If you did that and maybe put a little blur around the border, I think it would look great. (I could be wrong, of course, but if I am, you can always undo and try something else.) That's really the only weak spot in the map.

ravells
10-01-2009, 12:27 PM
I really like the concept!

Gidde
10-03-2009, 01:58 AM
Thanks!

Reworked the map to a more realistic look. I think I like the bottomless pit better now, and I added some general contours to the land to make the different areas pop better.

The_Lady_Tear
10-03-2009, 04:30 AM
I like what you did with this one. It is nice to have an idea how tall the moutains are by just a glance. Also, the bottomless pit looks good. Sorry, short post, very late, very tired. Look at it better tomorrow.

Sapiento
10-03-2009, 05:18 AM
That maps look very good!

Coyotemax
10-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Oh yes. that's coming along VERY nicely. **applause**

Gidde
10-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys :)

Note to LadyTear:
I've been meaning to post on river violations for some time, and I keep forgetting, so I'm doing it now before I forget again. There were bound to be some quirky rivers in this map since the normal rules don't really apply, but I thought I'd list em out so that you can be thinking about some in-game consequences of them.

Obviously the river in delusia is odd. Since it runs circular and has no outlet, it's probably either very sluggish (like a big dougnut-sized lake), or it races around that circle continuing to erode its path trying to find a way out and could be a fair-sized canyon.

The lake with no outlet in ghost country is at the center of a huge marsh, slowly filling the entire crater.

There's another lake with no outlet in Malevolot ... I've been thinking of that one as the Dead Sea in my mind.

And the third no-outlet lake up in Rockland .... I'm betting that whole country is riddled with caves, and the lake drains through one or more of them to the ocean (which could be a neat dungeon-delving setting).

Just food for thought for your campaign.

The_Lady_Tear
10-03-2009, 04:49 PM
First, I will make a more awake post about the map. As I said, I really like how you can see how tall the mountains are from the map. I also noticed you did the same sort of thing for the planes, so you have some hilly plans. I like the way that turned out. I especially liked the way the book ended up looking. The sand dunes in Sandlash are also really cool. The snake is beautiful. I especially like the little lake dot, is that for an eye?

I also have been thinking about it, and I think I wanted to change the name of Keito. I never really like it much, just a random Japanese sounding name. So, I think I will go with Shimaguni, if that is ok with you. It sounds cooler and actually means something.

Now for the rivers. I figured the rivers for delusia would have varying speeds. Sometimes it will go really fast, sometimes it will be stagnant. It will also flow in both directions. If you see a problem with that, let me know.

I like the ideas for the crater in Mystik and the dead sea like lake in Malevolot. yes Rockland is full of caves. I like the idea of outlets in underground caves. Lots of stuff to now work on and have set up.

Overall, it is looking great. Thanks for everything you are doing, and thanks for the great ideas for the game!

Gidde
10-03-2009, 11:49 PM
On the eye: it didn't start that way, but I noticed the resemblance there too. Unintended, but if you like it, great :)

Of course you can use Shimaguni, it's just the result of a little google-fu after all!

On the rivers in Delusia, you can honestly do whatever you like with them! I just wanted to make sure you knew they were kinda odd, so that you could plan for your game accordingly.

I've been a bad girl and read a book today instead of working on maps hehehe ... for the record, Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson is a very good read ;)

The_Lady_Tear
10-04-2009, 12:07 AM
Your not bad for reading. It is good to read. I havent read Mistborn, what type of book is it?

Gidde
10-04-2009, 12:14 AM
Fantasy, of course :) He's the author that's been tapped to finish the Wheel of Time series, so I wanted to see what his writing was like. I'm very impressed; it looks like the final books of WoT will be well worth reading.

Edit: Oh ... and oops. You meant the lake in the snake looked like an eye ... yeah, that was intentional. I thought you meant the lake in the crater, which also kinda looked like an eyeball once I put the feeding rivers in.

Steel General
10-04-2009, 10:05 AM
I believe he was the personal choice of Robert Jordan's wife (and publisher) to finish the series.

Gidde
10-04-2009, 11:10 AM
He's got a pretty cool site too, where he talks about why there's going to be more than one final book.

Back to the WIP ... put in volcanoes and lava flows. At this scale it's tough to do anything really cool with them :(

The_Lady_Tear
10-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Are the volcanoes the darkened mountains in Holocaust?

Gidde
10-07-2009, 05:12 PM
If you zoom in, you should be able to see the lava and smoke coming from the tops of the volcanoes. Here I've added swamps (south Dracatic, Malevolot, Necrata, Mystik), scalebar and compass.

I think this is as far as I can take ya ... here's the final version, with and without labels. The city locations were vague enough that I didn't want to arbitrarily place them; you'll have to figure out where they should go to best fit your game. Sin's a blank slate basically, because again I didn't want to arbitrarily decide those borders for you ... and actually drawing in a country-sized city is going to be a project in and of itself. Sometime tonight I'll post up a quick coloring-book version with just coast/river/border lines so that you can zoom and start filling in your detail ... hopefully this gives you a good enough start to start fleshing it out as your party plays it through.

//Edit: Added the traceable outline drawing. Rivers/Lakes/Coasts are stroked in black, country borders in green.

The_Lady_Tear
10-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Well, I have to say, it turned out beautifully. I am looking around at everything, and it is going to add so much to the game. Sorry that I didnt give you enough info for the cities and stuff though. The volcanoes are wonderful, the smoke you used looks great. Everything just looks so good. I cant say how pleased I am with the way it turned out. I am not sure when the next game will be, but after we have it, I will post at let you know what the group thought and how it turned out. Thanks, thanks, thanks soo much. I just cant say it enough. You are amazing.

Steel General
10-08-2009, 08:57 AM
Nice job Gidde!

Gidde
10-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks!

Closing out the WIP thread and putting the final in the finished maps section.

silvercity
05-03-2010, 03:25 PM
i'm a noob..yeah i know..

but has this project been completed?...i'd like to see an image of whoever completed it :)

silvercity
05-03-2010, 03:29 PM
whoops...nevermind..apparently i should read ALL the pages...not just the last of the first page..lol