View Full Version : Hello everybody

09-15-2009, 04:54 AM
Dear members of the Cartographers' Guild,

I am a 31-years old Hungarian guy. I always liked drawing maps, but it has remained a pure hobby for me. My appearance is simply coincidental here, I have been just browsing around in order to find some map-generating algorithms: to be honest, my main area of interest is computer-generated realistic maps. Although, my family and my job requires some time on my side, so my presence here might be not too frequent.

I wrote my own small programs to generate maps by fractal and other algorithms, but I am currently interested in the GIMP, mainly because its free-of charge nature and scripting capabilities. I also tried the Fractal Terrains demo, its projection features are amazing (in spite of this, terrain generation functions of it seemed somewhat limited), maybe I will by it in the future.

And I have almost forgotten, of course I have been playing also with Wilbur. (Steel General and Redrobes, thanks for reminding me :))

Best regards,

09-15-2009, 05:01 AM
Welcome aboard!

always good to see a fellow programmer around here ;)

scripting in gimp is quite flexible, so maybe some of your map generating code can be translated? Some examples of your work would be nice, at the very least.

09-15-2009, 05:19 AM
Welcome to the Guild!

Steel General
09-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Welcome Aboard!

If you liked the Fractal Terrains demo, you may want to check out Wilbur - it's also free.

09-15-2009, 08:01 AM
Welcome, there is my GeoTerSys for eye candy as a link in my sig. Its not released but you can look anyways. Also look at L3DT, GeoControl, WorldMachine, Vue, Terragen, GlobalMapper, Leveller and yeah Wilbur is definitely worth a play with.

Theres another free and simple terrain generator on my ViewingDale site under the free utilities section. Its called Instant Islands and it has a complementary and free viewer for it Dragon Flight too.

09-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome.

One of my map generating codes is in Visual Basic, but basically it is a plasma texture generating algorithm which is extensively used by some programs, even by Photoshop, the GIMP etc. I also wrote an algorithm with a different approach (if I remember well in Turbo Pascal under DOS) which can be more important as it uses some seeds of different size and growing them in order to create a continent.

Some examples will be also presented soon, but I have currently no access to my home PC.

@Steel General and Redrobes:

Thanks for reminding me, of course I have tried Wilbur. Also thanks for the recommended programs, I plan to try to check at least an evaluation version of them. I am thinking about the "continental drift" issue, but a realistic and relatively fast simulation of it seems a bit complex... surprisingly, I haven't found a program which has this feature! Which is quite odd, because the stone-age old program SimEarth did some kind of that...

09-15-2009, 11:50 AM
I do most of my coding in VB (.net), though I dabble in most languages I get my hands on. I look forward to seeing your examples ;)