PDA

View Full Version : *** August / September Lite Challenge - Gold ***

ravells
09-17-2009, 06:04 PM
VOTE FOR 1 (ONE)

view the thumbnails: August / September Thumbnails (http://www.cartographersguild.com/utilities/Thumbs/Html/Challengers_LiteAug09.htm)

Thank you to all the participants for their efforts and entries. Let the voting begin!

Summary of the rules for this month's challenge:

The challenge is to draw a map heavily influenced by the "GOLD" theme. Any map can be entered. For your inspiration, some of the possibilities:

- Regional map depicting GOLD mines in a region.
- Treasure map to the famous city of GOLD.
- Map to a sunken ship filled with GOLD.
- Pirate map leading to chests of GOLD.
- Map of a town which is famous for mining GOLD.
- Map of a temple filled with GOLDEN statues.
- Map of a structure containing GOLD (bank, merchant, etc).
- Map of a GOLD mine.
- Map of a dungeon with a large treasure chamber filled with GOLD.
etc, etc.

Your map must include:

- Anything goes. As long there's a strong and physical link with GOLD. The more shiny stuff we see, the better. So don't create a pirate map, mark the chest filled with GOLD with an X and leave it at that. No, depict the treasure as well. Or put some GOLD coins on the maps as props. Work it into your border. Your map should be dripping GOLD and still look elegant!

Good Voting everyone and don't forget to rep the work you liked!

Tear
09-17-2009, 07:05 PM
I like all entries. Very good job on those maps.

I admit I didn't choose Greason Wolfe's because I was really looking forward to what he would do with it, and unfortunately he just didn't find the time to do it.

Amazon_warrior's and Avulsion's entries were both really good, out of the two I probably would have picked Amazon_warrior's. While I liked the presentation of Avulsion's more than the other map, Amazon_warrior's was a bit more mappy and just a little more golden. Challenge topic and all.

That leaves me with Coyotemax and Jykke. Both exellent maps. Coyotemax's is more mappy for sure, but Jykke's shows a lot more about the gold and is really nice, too (even if I think he botched that last minute update ;) ).

They are both flawlessly executed. Who should I vote for?
In the end, I gave my vote to Jykke.
Sorry, Coyotemax. I love your maps.
I had to make a tough decision for this one.
Don't be mad at me. :)

Steel General
09-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Well another tough vote, and some new entrants as well - always a good thing. :)

After thinking about it for a bit, I had to give my vote to Coyotemax. It was the one that 'jumped out and grabbed me'.

Good luck to all the entrants.

Coyotemax
09-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Tear: That's fine. it was a tough decision for me too :)

As much as I'd like to vote for myself (hah) that doesn't feel right :P

I too am sorry to see Greason's map unfinished :( Amazon_warrior's map was nice and fit the theme, but I didn't feel a personal connection to it (I think because I've become used to following WIPs over time, and seeing the development leaves more of an impact on me - this one was a late entry and I didn't really get the time to get to know it). Avulsions was great and I loved, but it wasn't as maplike once Jykke put in the "You Are Here". For me, that was the clincher :)

Redrobes
09-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Coyote made great early progress and I thought it would be hard to beat. Jykkes map is a great piece of art and certainly has plenty of gold in it. You can almost see that in some console game. Greasons map was promising too but lacked gold in the end tho I think great strides were made. Avulsions map is really unique and such a good idea. I would have liked to have voted that way but it does not have much gold in it. I think we needed more than the word. That would suit a different challenge tho. A late entry by Amazon showed promise and I think would have been better with more time to sink into it.

But for me I think Coyotes map was a superb execution. Up close it looks nearly real and its definitely a mining map with plenty of gold and a gold border so I went with it.

JoeyD473
09-17-2009, 11:30 PM
I had to vote of Amazons. The map itself is gold

Ascension
09-17-2009, 11:49 PM
My vote went to Avulsion for the simple fact that it is cute and fun although not really mappy per se. CM has the mappiest map and is exquisitely perfect...he needs to be teaching us :) Jykke's is more video game art. GW has grand visions but never gets halfway through them, though I might steal how he does ISO ;) AW has some interesting ideas going on with his and I know he was rushed. So my vote doesn't follow the criteria...shoot me :) I'd like to see more of what he can do and I'm in a weird/abstracted mood. If I were following the criteria then I'd vote CM.

Jykke
09-18-2009, 12:14 AM
My vote goes to Coyotemax as it follows the gold theme nicely :)

Catrianna
09-18-2009, 02:20 AM
All the entries are very nicely done :) I particularly like how Amazon's appears to be made from a gold nugget, and Jykke's game screen is quite spectacular. However I believe Coyotemax's map has been executed most cleverly and is most in accordance with the criteria, and I am really loving the stitching and the gold inlays. So my vote goes to Coyotemax!

Greason Wolfe
09-18-2009, 03:10 AM
Ah yes, definitely a tough vote this month, even for the lite challenge maps. As for my own map, Ascension is absolutely correct. I had a grand vision for that map and I desperately needed more time to work on it. Sadly, I'm one of those people where family and work come first and second over all other things. Still, I'd be happy to see Ascension (or anyone else, for that matter) try to take the approach a step further, something I hope to be working on in the future myself.

As for the voting . . .

So tough, so very tough. All the entries were great and presented unique visions. Much like CM, I would have liked to see a bit more of the WIP on Amazon Warrior's map, but be that as it may, it was still a very fine map. So too were Jykke and CM's maps as both fit the theme of the challenge very directly. In the end, though it could have been a bit more "mappy" (as others have already said) I had to go for Avulsion's map for the simple fact of such a unique presentation. While the gold theme isn't as predominant as it could have been, it is still there, and something about the whole "text book" presentation just got to me.

Great Work on Everyone's Part!!!!

GW

icosahedron
09-18-2009, 05:35 AM
All excellent entries, but I had to go with Coyotemax in the end.

I didn't have time or inspiration to enter this month, but even if I had I would have been vying for last place (and probably got it). The standards of the Lite Challenge are rising so fast that we'll need a Lite Lite Challenge soon. ;)

Amazon_warrior
09-18-2009, 09:21 AM
I voted for Jykke's sci-fi map - I liked the grittiness and the gold buildings. Coyotemax's was awesome too - love the leather texture.

I'd like to thank everyone who commented on my map - it's much appreciated. :) Next time, I'll try to have a bit more time and a few more WIP shots! lol

(PS: I'm female. :P)

Gidde
09-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Great entries everyone!

My reasons are pretty much echoes of what others have written, but I think there are a couple things here and there I can add. I really like the mountains raised up to and over the border in places on Amazon_warrior's map, that's a nice touch. Jykke's map is extremely well done; you can totally imagine it being on the wall of a station that's seen hard times. I love the idea Avulsion had; I just wish there was more map to it :(

In the end I had to go with CoyoteMax, for a very well executed map with a ton of gold on it :) I love the way everything matches the same style without it feeling overdone. Nice job!

zenram
09-18-2009, 12:37 PM
Pufff, i can't believe this, great maps, all of them, the Mining Colony was one of my favorites, the details, the diferent perspectives of the city, but, the sunken ship is really wonderful too, the story behind it is great, oh God, i would wish those two were the only ones, but, then it comes this great piece of art, how in hell did you make those leather parchments?, just great Coyotemax.

Avulsion
09-18-2009, 02:25 PM
I'll be bold/prideful and say I like my idea the most, but it kinda fails for this challenge as it isn't much of a map...

Amazon's followed the theme really well. It looks a lot like what I imagine in my mind's eye what I would have (attempted to have) created if I had done a more mappy map.

Coyote's map is... a work of art. How the heck did you do it?! I obviously need to read a bunch of good tutorials on this forum and increase my skill. Seriously, I would tell you to just stick with the Normal Challenge, but then we would all miss out on your awesome work displayed in the Lite Challenge. Keep at it! I suspect you will win a Normal Challenge before you win 3 Lites though ;)

I liked where Greason was going. Family does come first though. I look forward to some awesome maps in future challenges!

Jykke has an awesome map with great details. However, something that always bothered me was that all the rectangular parts look flat. IMO, they should cast more shadows as if they were sticking out of the sign, or into the sign. Some sort of "relief" would really take it to the next level. Call me crazy, I guess.

Avulsion
09-18-2009, 02:27 PM
Explaining in words in a post is somehow way easier than actually voting...

Avulsion
09-18-2009, 02:35 PM
I apologize for the triple post...

Avulsions map is really unique and such a good idea. I would have liked to have voted that way but it does not have much gold in it. I think we needed more than the word. That would suit a different challenge tho.

Thanks. The golden border on the page is a subliminal message that perhaps caught a few of you into thinking the entry had more gold :D

ravells
09-18-2009, 03:19 PM
FWIW Avulsion, yours was the second equal choice with Coyote's for me. It was a clean and beautiful concept, I loved the way it looked like a section of a page. The context that a map is presented in (IMHO) is almost as important as the map. I voted for Jykke's because of the context too...it just looked like the image you might see on the wall of a far future goldrush town, and the textures just sold it to me.

Avulsion
09-22-2009, 04:30 PM
So it's been about 5 days of voting. Shall we close this poll, award the clear winner, and start the next exciting month of Sep/Oct Lite Challenge?!?!

ravells
09-22-2009, 04:38 PM
It will close automatically according to it's preset instructions! :) But that will be today.

Coyotemax
09-23-2009, 05:39 PM
Well, looks like voting is closed. In advance of the official announcement, I just want to say I had a lot of fun with this map, and it's probably the most 'fiddled with' out of all of them - and in addition to the other things I learned while making it, one of the most important was "when to stop" lol

Thanks to everyone who voted for my map!

Tear
09-23-2009, 05:42 PM
I know it's not official,yet... but let me say: Grats Coyote! Well deserved. :)

Redrobes
09-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah, well done and such a nice map too.

Steel General
09-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Congratz to the Octoclops! ...err I mean Coyotemax :D

Avulsion
09-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Good job, CM. I enjoyed the challenge. :D

ravells
09-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Congratulations to Coyotemax! A fine win for a fine map with some really good competition.

Standby for the next one and enjoy your silver compass!

Coyotemax
09-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks!
I'll toss modesty aside for a moment and take credit for a job well done :)
That having been said, as artistically inclined as I am it's the feedback from the people on this site that's really pushed me to get better and produce works better than I thought I was capable of.

thanks to anyone here who's ever written a tutorial for this site, or given me a helpful suggestion, or even just said "that's cool" - it's all inspired me, yay!