PDA

View Full Version : forest texture

Tom_Cardin
09-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Hi everyone!

I wanted to contribute this forest texture I just finished. It tiles so it can be fed right whatever tool you use to paint patterns. It is rather large but you can always scale down cleaner than you can scale up. Please enjoy

I actually created this texture in 3D studio and did additional filtering and all the tiling work in photoshop CS3.

I highly recommend poking holes in it, there is black that can be filtered to transparency. The size of the trees is fairly uniform so you can make individual trees into brushes to detail the forest edges.

I am working on an isometric view of forest texture as well. I will share that when I have it in the same state that this is in

Coyotemax
09-17-2009, 10:37 PM
sweet! I may have to give this a try soon :)

ravells
09-18-2009, 05:05 AM
Very nice and it tiles too! Thanks and have some rep (except I can't as I've already repped you recently)

Steel General
09-18-2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks for posting...

Tom_Cardin
09-18-2009, 03:02 PM
coyotemax - Welcome. One thing I did find when working with it is that I got it a little too dark and the black areas didn't clip out too cleanly by just using color thresholds. It needs to be manually poked out.

ravells - Thank you...hey its the thought that counts! Yes it tiles, I hate seams and strong pattern repeats.

Steel General - wecome! Glad to contribute.

And speaking of contributing, here is the isometric forest texture. It tiles and is more seperated from the background black for easier hole poking. Also I am including some individual trees for breaking up the edges nicely. This texture will not work in all cases, well it should but it is going to take a lot of massaging in places especially on the top edge where those single trees will have to be judiciously used.

ravells
09-18-2009, 04:14 PM
YUM! any chance of a decidous / fir mix? These are gorgeous!

Tom_Cardin
09-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Ravells - thanks! you read my mind. It is what I am going to work on next. Then I need to work on a dead tree forest texture.

More suggestions are welcome

zenram
09-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Great!! Have some Rep XD

ravells
09-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Well as you're asking for suggestions! Can you do one with autumnal colours?

Tom_Cardin
09-21-2009, 01:39 PM
Ravells - excellent idea! I will try to squeeze that in.

Ramah
09-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Ravells - thanks! you read my mind. It is what I am going to work on next. Then I need to work on a dead tree forest texture.

More suggestions are welcome

Looking forward to seeing a tileable dead tree forest texture. I can only begin to imagine how hard that will be. :)

Great stuff.

Tom_Cardin
09-22-2009, 11:11 PM
I found a couple minutes today to work on my dead trees. So far I just have a model and I have thrown it under some lights. I still need to work up some variance and some undergrowth etc. Then I can make a texture out of it.

Tom_Cardin
10-11-2009, 02:11 AM
Time for a new texture.. this one is a hand drawn mixed forest texture. Saved this as a PNG so it includes transparency. Also include a png of individual trees for doing edges and other bits of forested bits.

=3DFantasy=
10-21-2009, 06:53 AM
Fantastic! is very useful ;-)

SkarValidus
03-21-2010, 09:59 PM
I just nabbed the original satelite-view forest, it's exactly what I need! Thanks!

mearrin69
03-22-2010, 02:01 AM
Nice stuff, Tom_Cardin. If it's okay with you I'm going to steal your latest individual trees for my Argria map; they'll save me a bunch of time sketching my own...and they look great! Repped.
M