PDA

View Full Version : MY FIRST MAP! A simple building/battlemap

BlueDay
09-20-2009, 09:42 AM
OKAY!

I did it, I made something I am proud of and plan to use!

It started with a Tut, A simple a nice Tut...I like the word Tut..

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2461

Thanks to this man right here, I downloaded gimp for the first time, and went to town!

THIS!

Is the outcome...

I went with something VERY simple, and then once I felt comfortable on my perch. I jumped off the cliff and prayed I could fly. I found out that when just doodleing with snap to grid on it made a nice squiggle effect, I used this to make trees. Then, experimented with the right color shades to be able to reflect grass from tree's without the use of shadows.

Lastly I added colored floors for the building, making this what I am calling a Neo-Classic map! I am just so proud of myself right now!

RobA
09-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Nicely done! Don't forget to rate any tutorial threads you appreciate, and rep accordingly!

-Rob A>

Ascension
09-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Looks like a little church of some kind...I can't wait to pillage it with my mates and steal the gold. I mean come for a nice visit and pray respectfully. Clean and simple is highly under-done these days so I say nice job.

BlueDay
09-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Looks like a little church of some kind...I can't wait to pillage it with my mates and steal the gold. I mean come for a nice visit and pray respectfully. Clean and simple is highly under-done these days so I say nice job.

That comment there lets me know I did a good job, also..

How do I rep tutorials? *goes to try and figure it out*

Gidde
09-20-2009, 11:01 AM
It's the little balance scale icon under a person's name, just click it on their initial post. :)

Ramah
09-20-2009, 01:23 PM
It's the little balance scale icon under a person's name, just click it on their initial post. :)

That just gives the individual who posted it rep, which is nice of course, but to rate a tutorial there is a link at the top of the page when you open it up.

Coyotemax
09-20-2009, 02:52 PM
That's a good start!
and that's a great way of doing trees, I hadn't thought of anything along those lines.

torstan
09-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the rep. I'm really glad it came in useful - and that's a nice clear map you've got there. Now with that under your belt you're well set to cut a swathe through the forums :)

Good job.

NeonKnight
09-20-2009, 03:33 PM
It looks good. Only thing I would change is to strengthen the grid lines. I have played many miniature games both casually and competitively, and the biggest complaint I have heard is difficult to see grid lines.

Otherwise, well done!

BlueDay
09-21-2009, 02:35 AM
It looks good. Only thing I would change is to strengthen the grid lines. I have played many miniature games both casually and competitively, and the biggest complaint I have heard is difficult to see grid lines.

Otherwise, well done!

I thought the same thing, but the Fill tool messed it up, by the time I noticed I was so far in I just left it. I am starting work on what will be a Road Ambush map. I hope to make a series of these that are flexible enough to be used in any encounter if need be.

unfair
09-21-2009, 02:42 PM
good job and good luck with the next map.

Redrobes
09-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Tut is tinny sort of word. You need a woody one like Bound or Thigh...

Maps pretty good for a Gimp start. A good step would be if you can get flood fill with a nice understated texture then you would see a leap.