PDA

View Full Version : "Holy Isle" isometric sketch-up

pyrandon
07-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Hello, friends. Thought I would post my latest: an isometric sketch-up of an ancient, abandoned "Holy Isle" from my GURPS campaign. My players traveled to the island once before, but left without completing their task (to find a mysterious "holy font" they were told was located on the Isle). Now they are returning, one year later (in both game time and real time!)

The former map I used for during the first visit was a Dundjinni plan-view of the island, but this time I went the other extreme by creating a hand-sketched, bird's-eye angular view, which also includes pull-outs of many of the major rooms and sights the players experienced their last visit.

This was a fun task, & a fairly quick job (considering the size of the map). I hope you like it. You can find it here: http://www.ormonds.net/rpg/westaven/images/3/36/Return_to_trepindia_islandview.jpg

Take care!

kalmarjan
07-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Very nice! I must say, I would like to see something done up in 3D of this. Hmm... I could be convinced... LOL

Sandeman

Jharviss
07-25-2007, 12:41 AM
This is absolutely brilliant. I am quite impressed. I would say that I wish the picture would extend the entire way -- I rather dislike how it fades out toward the edges as the fade is inconsistent. I also dislike the fade because the quote in the bottom left corner then fades back in and that seems odd to me. I also think the lines leading from the bubbles to the map are too thick, but that's nit-picky and a personal opinion.

Beyond that, I love it. You have a great color scheme here that really fits the feeling well. This really is a great piece.

RPMiller
07-25-2007, 12:52 AM
:!: I'm stunned! That is beautiful for being a sketch. I wish my sketches were half that good. I love the concept as much as the drawing. Fabulous.

You have been duly repped! :compass:

EDIT: I have to concur about the leader lines and circle borders. Against the sketched look they are just too clean and thick and distract a bit. I have no problem with the fade off although a different color than white might be a bit more pleasing to the eye.

ravells
07-25-2007, 05:54 AM
Simply glorious! I wish I could draw!

Ravs

Publius
07-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Very nice job. I too wish I could do that sort of thing. The whole perspective thing just gets me every time.

Fister
07-27-2007, 11:39 PM
Your map reminds me of a cinematic storyboard before the interference from actors. Your players are fortunate to have such a talented GM. By the way I am also a fan of your GURPS campaign website. GURPS Rocks as RPG system and you are telling a story backed up by solid game mechanics and numerous forms of quality art.

pyrandon
08-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Your map reminds me of a cinematic storyboard before the interference from actors.

Yes!! That's the look I was going for, combined slightly with architectural sketches--well, that and doing the sketch quickly. That being said I must admit I've always loved film concept boards. My favorite, although a cluche' choice, are the boards from Jackson's Lord of the Rings films: they leave you with just enough for your imagination to munch on, enough to inspire wonder, while not giving you with a photograph.

Your players are fortunate to have such a talented GM. By the way I am also a fan of your GURPS campaign website. GURPS Rocks as RPG system and you are telling a story backed up by solid game mechanics and numerous forms of quality art.

Good Goopy Gobs of Gravy! What a compliment! I'm totally not worth that, although I sure thank you for it. That says more about your kindness than the reality of it, I'm sure. :)

Our Westaven website is really an in-house project, used primarily for record keeping among we players. Although we have a welcome page geared toward anyone who stumbles upon the site, we never really expect anyone other than the six of us bothers to look at it. I am glad you did, though. Thanks a million.

PS: You're right about GURPS. It rocks! :)

The Cartographist
12-13-2007, 05:55 AM
Pyrandon - going back through the Finished Maps this morning. The sketch-up is one of the coolest maps I've seen in awhile. It reminds me of a tourist brochure for a vacation destination.

Slightly "different" style but amazing.

pyrandon
12-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks a lot, Cartog! (can I call you Cartog? ;) It's the nature of my work and me that I look at it now, months later, and cringe a bit. I would change two million things about it were I to go back--and maybe someday I will. :)

Thanks again.

NeonKnight
12-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I agree. A beautiful map. Maybe I should start perusing some of the old posts when I get time. Some beautiful treasure to be found there I am sure.

RPMiller
12-13-2007, 01:39 PM
I agree. A beautiful map. Maybe I should start perusing some of the old posts when I get time. Some beautiful treasure to be found there I am sure.
I highly encourage this behavior and feel free to bump them with comments if you deem them worthy. There are a lot of great treasures to be had in them thar old'n days of the forums.

RobA
12-13-2007, 03:57 PM
(can I call you Cartog? ;)

I think he prefers Mr. Cartographer :o

-Rob A>

The Cartographist
12-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Actually, it is THE Cartographist.8) And don't anyone forget it. . . ;)

RPMiller
12-13-2007, 07:09 PM
I shall call him TC, or perhaps just T. Although I always liked the name Tim. Yes, I shall call him Tim. From this day forward THE Cartographist shall be called Tim. So says I. ;)

And thanks to secret CIA cameras we even have a picture of THE Cartog... er... Tim:

http://www.virginmedia.com/microsites/movies/slideshow/top-ten-movie-wizards/img_2.jpg

The Cartographist
12-14-2007, 03:49 AM
Nice...
I did't know that any copies of that had escaped me. ;)

ravells
12-14-2007, 06:15 AM
Best not to ask him about African swallows, then.

RobA
12-14-2007, 09:16 AM
TC's new avatar....

:P

-Rob A>

The Cartographist
12-14-2007, 06:09 PM
While yours does look GOOD, if I am to be TC for short, then why not one of the other two?

RPMiller
12-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Being from London, you shall be known only as Tim. ;)

ravells
12-14-2007, 06:16 PM
This is my fave TC (showing my age!)

God rest Phil Silvers' soul, boy did that man know how to make me laugh!

The Cartographist
12-14-2007, 06:19 PM
RPMiller - Not FROM London. Only staying there now. . . Originally, from Pittsburgh, PA.

Ravells - That is a good TC, but I prefer a big, helicopter piloting TC myself.

RPMiller
12-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Nope, your Tim. Just accept it and move along. ;)

LOL

Robbie
12-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Tim...I'm not even IN the navy, nor am I a pilot...but given that I work with a lot of Aviation Physiologists, they have decided that I should have a call sign...I wanted Arcana...they said no, and started calling me "Dungeon Master" but then decided that was not humiliating enough as call signs are supposed to be...

So in response to a small exchange we had one day about flight helmets and crossed-eyes...I shall forever be known to them as "Corky" I hate it...but I didn't get to choose it...so they love it...

And now its starting to grow on me...as I'm sure Tim will for you :D

The Cartographist
12-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Indeed Arcana - You'll see that I've even been signing my posts...

Tim

GlennZilla
12-21-2007, 12:26 PM
If it's any consolation my handle "GlennZilla" is based on my co-workers teasing me about my love of Godzilla movies and being the biggest guy in my office.

I resisted and even offered to pummel the guy that Photoshopped my face onto Godzilla and hung it around the office.

Eventually it became merely an annoyance and finally I accepted that it's not a fat joke as much as a somewhat deprecating nickname.

RPMiller
12-21-2007, 02:36 PM
If it's any consolation my handle "GlennZilla" is based on my co-workers teasing me about my love of Godzilla movies and being the biggest guy in my office.

I resisted and even offered to pummel the guy that Photoshopped my face onto Godzilla and hung it around the office.

Eventually it became merely an annoyance and finally I accepted that it's not a fat joke as much as a somewhat deprecating nickname.
So have you picked up Monster Island from Firefly Games?

GlennZilla
12-22-2007, 12:15 AM
Seen it but my gaming group doesn't share my appreciation for Gojira. I am hoping the upcoming movie, Cloverfield, might put the bug into thier heads.

terrainmonkey
12-22-2007, 07:36 AM
i'm waiting for cloverfield as well. saw the trailer when it first came out and thought the name of the movie was "bad robot". how foolish was i, huh? anyway, when did we start calling The Cartographist "Tim?"

RPMiller
12-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Seen it but my gaming group doesn't share my appreciation for Gojira. I am hoping the upcoming movie, Cloverfield, might put the bug into thier heads.

When you get it, let me know what you think, and if you get the Invasion of Monster Island book, let me know what you think of the scenarios in the back.

when did we start calling The Cartographist "Tim?"

As soon as he insisted on "THE Cartographist". ;) :D :lol:

pyrandon
12-22-2007, 05:53 PM
I think my thread here deserves the "First Annual Threadjack Award". I can't even remember what's at the top of this thread anymore! ;)

ravells
12-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Here's your award!

RPMiller
12-22-2007, 06:58 PM
I think my thread here deserves the "First Annual Threadjack Award". I can't even remember what's at the top of this thread anymore! ;)
I think it was some sort of map or something. ;)

The Cartographist
12-23-2007, 01:41 AM
Well, I didn't remember what it was originally about either :P, except for the fact that it was where I was christened Tim. But, back MANY days ago, it WAS a map:

12-13-2007, 10:55 AM

Pyrandon - going back through the Finished Maps this morning. The sketch-up is one of the coolest maps I've seen in awhile. It reminds me of a tourist brochure for a vacation destination.

Slightly "different" style but amazing.

Thinking back to my comment that it resembles a tourist brochure, I think that the RPG community can do well to look at other actual "location" literature.

The Ptolus hardcover comes to mind in that Monte Cooke specifically tried to follow the format that is common in travel books today. And I think that it does improve the utility of such a document.

I think a majority of the RPG industry output is location description of one form or another, which is why cartography is so important.