PDA

View Full Version : Terrain test for the World Of UBORA

Nexis
09-22-2009, 11:17 PM
HI
Just a test for Terrain. I'm looking for large scale mountains for continental topography. Don't mind the color this is for the shape and texture. I used photoshop and a tablet with a map of Spain for reference.
To get the texture I used the tablet and pen and tried a pointillism style by tapping the pen on the tablet around the drawn in forms.
Comments, Questions or just random praise is accepted :)

Ascension
09-22-2009, 11:49 PM
I think it looks good. The coast is rather uniform but otherwise good job.

Nexis
09-23-2009, 12:06 AM
I think it looks good. The coast is rather uniform but otherwise good job.

Thanks! But don't worry about the coast its just a mountain test. :)

Steel General
09-23-2009, 07:44 AM
I agree with Ascension, but since you said it's more about the mountains, it's all good.

Nexis
09-24-2009, 12:26 AM
Ok Second Test. Better coast but not close to finished. This mountain test came out a bit better. I like the look but not the shading. Gona need to test a few colors to find one that fits. Once I find that and forrests, Grass and all the other details I can start on the main maps.

Gidde
09-24-2009, 01:33 AM
I like this, it has a very satellite-atlas type feel to it.

landorl
09-24-2009, 12:00 PM
I think that the terrain has a good natural feel to it. I can't wait till I see some more!

Nexis
09-24-2009, 12:27 PM
I like this, it has a very satellite-atlas type feel to it.

I think that the terrain has a good natural feel to it. I can't wait till I see some more!

Thanks! Yes I was going for the Atlas style look. Once I get the physical features right I will build them into a collection of maps like HandsomRob did.

Nexis
09-24-2009, 05:30 PM
OK Question for those who can help me.

The world of UBORA is generated in FTPro. I just save the coast and do the land forms by hand. So, as all who use FTPro know, it has a bug in it that crashes the program when you try to save with a grid.
I make maps from it using the Lambert Equal Area as it represents the area I'm mapping nicely with little distortion. But I need the Long and Lat lines.
Any ideas on how I can make them? I use Photoshop CS2, Illustrator CS2. I also have Gimp and can get Inkscape in a pinch if that is easier.

waldronate
09-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Send ProFantasy's tech support an e-mail with this problem. They should be able to point you at a beta version that does not have this problem.

If you're not after a super high resolution version then taking a screenshot might be a short-term solution (Alt+PrintScreen saves the current window to the clipboard where you can paste it to other programs).

Nexis
09-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Send ProFantasy's tech support an e-mail with this problem. They should be able to point you at a beta version that does not have this problem.

If you're not after a super high resolution version then taking a screenshot might be a short-term solution (Alt+PrintScreen saves the current window to the clipboard where you can paste it to other programs).

Thanks for the reply but something funny just happened. I had a problem with FT so I reloaded it and as a test I tried to save with a grid. It saved no problem. I then downloaded the upgrade patch and tested it and it crashed every time. I reloaded without the patch and it saved the grid! LOL live and learn.
Not a problem as I only want the coast and the grid, I do all the land by hand.

:lol:

waldronate
09-24-2009, 06:44 PM
The update available from the web site is not the same as the version that tech support can get you. Original Install < Update from PF (new toys + crashes with grids) < Beta from PF Tech support (more new toys + no crash with grids).

Nexis
10-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Well I'm still doing the first map. I do it by hand so it will take a while. I'm also doing other things to go with it. I call it The Ubora Project. Along with Atlas Ubora I will also have History Ubora to have a detailed history of the world. To that end I have decided to make them PDFs. I can do a lot more with that then a web sight (Which I can't afford to get the space I need.

Anyway, I have made a Compass Rose to go with the maps. What do you think?

Steel General
10-08-2009, 08:40 AM
I like it, though the W's look more like upside down M's.

Nexis
10-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I like it, though the W's look more like upside down M's.

Yes it does. I have an alternate that may help and I have just noticed a mistake in it so I have to do it again. Grrrrr. Not so bad. It doesn't take long to put together from scratch. Good chance for a bit more experimentation.

Nexis
10-08-2009, 05:52 PM
OK after fixing some mistakes and the fonts I rebuilt it. I like this one much better.

Ramah
10-08-2009, 06:00 PM
That looks really nice. :) I much prefer it to the last one you posted.

Steel General
10-08-2009, 06:01 PM
I do too, though the original was good as well.

Jeff_Wilson63
10-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Hm. Personally I prefer the first one, although it depends a bit on the style of the map. The second one is a bit too mechanical and polished for me.

Nexis
10-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Actually that's what I was going for. The Ubora Project is laid out as if geographers and historians were cronicaling the history of their world from a modern point of view.

Nexis
10-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Ok Here is an island just off the coast. I'm still not sure of the shading. One of the problems, in my eyes, is that the mountains look fuzzy and not well defined. Next up will be rivers . As the island is not that big and lots of rough areas I'm thinking of short to the coast rivers with a few interior rivers and lakes. At this scale I'm only going to show main rivers.

Ascension
10-09-2009, 11:57 PM
If you have your shading on a separate layer then duplicate it and maybe that will help. Personally, I think it looks fine...just like a topo map should.

Nexis
10-14-2009, 12:53 AM
For my maps I'm using a mix of HansonRob's and Creating Mountains and other terrains in Photoshop by Pasi. Using my own settings to create the mountains at this scale. The one thing I have had problems with is getting the map to show proper erosion. So I experimented and came up with an alteration to Pasi's idea. I make a new layer to go above all the mountain layers then go to Bevel and Emboss and alter the gloss contour. I go into the contour and just reverse the settings (see pic #1). Then change the direction setting from up to down. Then go into the contour sub-setting and do the same (see pic #2).

I then did a test on my map. Here it is for your consideration. I need to experiment a bit on my technique and look at a few more real world topo maps to get it just right.

su_liam
10-14-2009, 02:35 AM
Thatsh pretty attractive ak-shly.

Steel General
10-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Yup, yup, yup...you're definitely on to something there.

landorl
10-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Wow, that is some of the best mountains that I have seen done with PS!

Nexis
10-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Wow, that is some of the best mountains that I have seen done with PS!

Thanks! :)

Nexis
10-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Alright lets try it this way. I went for a more subtle approach. A much lighter hand on the erosion.

Gidde
10-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Hmm, I think I liked the first version better. The erosion level on this one's good, but they seem to have lost their edge a bit.

Nexis
10-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Hmm, I think I liked the first version better. The erosion level on this one's good, but they seem to have lost their edge a bit.

That's what I was afraid of..That and clowns.

Ascension
10-15-2009, 12:50 AM
Heh heh heh.

Nexis
10-15-2009, 05:36 PM
OK I think this is it! Here is the map in full scale. now for a bit more research on physical maps. One thing about this technique is it makes it relay easy to find valleys and run off to rivers.

Gidde
10-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Ah, yes. That looks very nice and satellite-y. Now all I would do is change that to an overlay-type layer so that it bumps the color underneath it rather than imposing its own. Or overlay the mountains with a low-opacity green, either would work well (and i think color overlay on bumps is easier in PS than trying to bump an already-colored layer).

Nexis
10-16-2009, 02:47 PM
OK lets see how this works out for coloring.

Ramah
10-16-2009, 03:51 PM
My word, that's bright. I like the mountains though.

Nexis
10-17-2009, 10:09 PM
More of the coastal mountains and foothills. Question....Would it be logical to continue the mountains down along the coast or break them up to different areas?

Edit: Why is it that these mountains just don't sit right with me? Am I missing something or is it just too much of the same thing?

Gidde
10-18-2009, 08:15 AM
It might be that they follow the coast a little too closely; you might want to move them inland a bit. Take the Rockies for example; I'm not too familiar with the geography of them in Canada, but in the states, they have most of the states of Washington, Oregon, and California between them and the ocean.

rdanhenry
10-18-2009, 01:13 PM
The Rockies are nowhere near the coast. A better model would be the Coast Ranges the run along the Pacific coast.

I think the distance between mountains and sea is maybe a bit too regular. Otherwise, I think most of the odd look is due to the rest of the map being undeveloped yet.

Nexis
10-21-2009, 04:07 PM
And the experimenting continues.... Trying a new shading technique. Also I'm going more subtle in the terrain building. Trying to keep most of it looking that it is only up to 1,000 m. After looking at the coastal ranges and some Mediterranean landscapes decided to pull it back a little.

Gidde
10-21-2009, 04:24 PM
This keeps looking better and better! Nothing really constructive to offer at this point, I think you've nailed the shading.

Nexis
10-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Next stage The old caldera that became the bay. 58,000 years ago a volcanic hot spot formed under the island causing a large mound to form. The mound was mostly large gas pockets. This gas was slowly vented over time leaving a massive cave system that made the mountain a brittle bubble. When the sea broke in the water eroded the supporting structure. This caused the slow collapse of the mountain into the ocean forming the present bay. Does that work?

Gidde
10-22-2009, 09:25 AM
Aesthetically it looks cool, but I have no idea if the geology is sound.

su_liam
10-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Basically a caldera happens when volcanic eruptions are of such volume that a void forms in the magma chamber and the overlying crust... falls in. It isn't a bubble blown upward by gas pressure and then bursting.

Otherwise, in terms of appearance and such it seems good. Except... Scale is a problem. A 100 mile caldera seems to put Yellowstone to shame. This wouldn't be a dinosaur-killer eruption. More of a kill-the-dinosaurs--no-the-mammals-aren't-taking-over--they're-dead-too kind of ecosystem-killer. Maybe there will be some algae left to keep some oxygen in the air, but it won't be pretty.

I've been wanting to do a city called Caldera Bay for some time, but my caldera would be much smaller. Maybe Crater Lake-del-Mar.

Nexis
10-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Basically a caldera happens when volcanic eruptions are of such volume that a void forms in the magma chamber and the overlying crust... falls in. It isn't a bubble blown upward by gas pressure and then bursting.

Otherwise, in terms of appearance and such it seems good. Except... Scale is a problem. A 100 mile caldera seems to put Yellowstone to shame. This wouldn't be a dinosaur-killer eruption. More of a kill-the-dinosaurs--no-the-mammals-aren't-taking-over--they're-dead-too kind of ecosystem-killer. Maybe there will be some algae left to keep some oxygen in the air, but it won't be pretty.

I've been wanting to do a city called Caldera Bay for some time, but my caldera would be much smaller. Maybe Crater Lake-del-Mar.

OK that makes sense. Yes the scale is a bit too large. Just a normal bay then! :)

Nexis
10-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Redid the bay area. looks much better.

Nexis
10-26-2009, 04:48 PM
OK I'm adding rivers and lakes. look good or should I make the rivers a little thinner?

mearrin69
10-26-2009, 04:56 PM
Looking pretty good. I don't think they necessarily need to be thinner but, instead, taper a bit more as they get to the source. Your mountains look great, BTW. I'm going to have to try that. Repping you if I didn't already.
M

Gidde
10-26-2009, 05:03 PM
I agree with Mearrin on the rivers, although you do have a few of them tapering nicely. Also, great job putting them in the "cracks" of the mountains. Looks very natural.

Nexis
10-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Looking pretty good. I don't think they necessarily need to be thinner but, instead, taper a bit more as they get to the source. Your mountains look great, BTW. I'm going to have to try that. Repping you if I didn't already.
M

Thanks for the rep!

Nexis
10-26-2009, 06:46 PM
I agree with Mearrin on the rivers, although you do have a few of them tapering nicely. Also, great job putting them in the "cracks" of the mountains. Looks very natural.

Thanks. The difficult part is choosing the right one for major rivers that show up at this scale.

Nexis
10-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Ok looks like I have finished the land forms. Now it's time to do the rest of the rivers and lakes. Next up some experimentation for flora.

Nexis
10-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Alright here it is with the major river systems.

Call out to the River Police! Please let me know if I goofed anywhere here. Or if you see something that may need tweaking. Thanks!

RobA
10-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Since you eroded it with software, the rivers should all be "correct".

It just looks funny to see so many rivers join at an angle of >90 degrees.

Like this:

/
/
/
/
------------------- -> downstream

rather than

\
\
\
\
\
\

-Rob A>

Nexis
10-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Since you eroded it with software, the rivers should all be "correct".

It just looks funny to see so many rivers join at an angle of >90 degrees.

Like this:

/
/
/
/

rather than

\
\
\
\
\
\

-Rob A>

Fixed some of the river connections. Software..Heh..the only software I used is CS2 and a Wacom Bamboo. I hand painted all the mountains and the erosion. man my hands are stiff. LOL

RobA
10-29-2009, 11:18 PM
Fixed some of the river connections. Software..Heh..the only software I used is CS2 and a Wacom Bamboo. I hand painted all the mountains and the erosion. man my hands are stiff. LOL

Sorry, my bad! For some reason I though you had used wilbur on a heightfield for that!

(guess that means you did a good job?)

-Rob A>

Nexis
10-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Sorry, my bad! For some reason I though you had used wilbur on a heightfield for that!

(guess that means you did a good job?)

-Rob A>

Now THAT is a complement! I'm now convinced that I'm on the right path.

Nexis
04-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Hi all. Been away for a while. I wanted to restart The Ubora Project again but in the time since I was here last I lost all the data. So I have to start from scratch.
One good thing, I upgraded to Photoshop CS5 and Illustrator. So here is my first test to relearn how I did it. Any and all feedback will be appreciated!

Oh one other thing the name Ubora (which I thought I had made up) is actually Swahili for Excellence! LOL.

Nexis
04-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Ok after some adjustments and a few hours practice I think I have the technique down now.

Ascension
04-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Looks pretty nice, man.

Nexis
04-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Thank You! That was just the practice run. Now I need to look at land form sat photos for reference and get started back into it.

Nexis
04-15-2011, 11:55 PM
Ok I'v been squinting at this too long and need a fresh pair of eyes on it. Question..Does this appear correct. It's a small island off the main coast only just under 20 km across.

Murcu
04-16-2011, 12:35 AM
It looks really nice. Only that at the very skinny bit on the northern piece of the island, it looks a bit weird the way the slants of the mountain disappear suddenly and turn into a black outline.

Nexis
04-16-2011, 12:51 AM
It looks really nice. Only that at the very skinny bit on the northern piece of the island, it looks a bit weird the way the slants of the mountain disappear suddenly and turn into a black outline.

Yea I don't care for the outline myself. It takes the eye away from the map. Just need to find a way to fix it and keep as much of the detail as I can.

Murcu
04-16-2011, 12:52 AM
Maybe you should change the shape of the map to fit the slopes of the mount and have little bits jut out?

Steel General
04-16-2011, 09:47 AM
You could try changing the black line to something tan/yellow/sand-y in color and then blur it a bit, might help soften the transition.

Nexis
04-16-2011, 12:14 PM
Maybe you should change the shape of the map to fit the slopes of the mount and have little bits jut out?

Interesting idea. I think I'll do some experimenting with that in mind. Thanks!

You could try changing the black line to something tan/yellow/sand-y in color and then blur it a bit, might help soften the transition.

Yes a lighter color and a bit of judicious softening might just do the trick. Thanks!

Nexis
04-16-2011, 11:26 PM
OK
I altered the coastline and gave it more detail. I used a dark sand color then added the lowest ground color and blended the edge. I think it looks much better.

Nexis
04-17-2011, 10:43 PM
OK
Re-did the terrain. The last terrain version I didn't take the scale into account. Next up will be adding the water channels and rivers.

LonewandererD
04-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Would it be possible to get a large pic, the mountains look very nice from at this scale but it can't hurt to get a close look at them. Nice work nonetheless :)

-D-

Nexis
04-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Would it be possible to get a large pic, the mountains look very nice from at this scale but it can't hurt to get a close look at them. Nice work nonetheless :)

-D-

Yea that's the max scale I have on the map. I was thinking about it when I added the scale bar. It seemed way too small a pic for The detail I want to do. I'm going to have to redo it at a much larger scale. If I zoom it out it gets way to fuzzy.
This is of course more of an experiment so I have just learned I'm going to have a lot more work to do. No prob...

Nexis
04-18-2011, 11:46 PM
Larger Map. Started on the land forms. So far I am most defiantly not happy with the rivers. Also not sure of the highland section. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Starting to wonder if I'm biting off more than I can chew with this. maybe I should try a more simplified map style. Such as the modern maps are made. Don't know. Probably just tired. Look at it again in the morning.

Nexis
04-23-2011, 04:26 PM
OK
Update in the current test. Added more and changed the color scheme. I think this color is better for the map as I can overlay other info later like forests, political or cultural facts without fighting the old darker colors.

I'm also playing with some of the new CS5 customizable brushes. They work nicely with a little practice.

Nexis
04-26-2011, 08:40 PM
OK
Went back to the original color scheme. Added some new features. Let me know if it looks good or if it works. Good, bad or indifferent. All comments are welcome.