PDA

View Full Version : What is "Rep" and how do I use it?

RPMiller
07-25-2007, 07:33 PM
This is to answer the question of what is "Rep"? "Rep" short for Reputation. Represents the reputation that you have in this community. The more you have the more people have liked what you posted whether it was a nice map, a great comment, or helpful information. Basically whatever you feel has been worthy of increasing another posters reputation.

If you look at the bottom left corner of a post under the member information you'll see a set of scales. Clicking that icon will make a window appear. You can add a comment as to why you agree with the post or how much you like it, and then click OK. That increases that posters "rep power" so that when they rep someone they in turn get more rep from that poster. It is a way to give some quantification to the quality of a particular posters posts.

If you click the User CP link at the top left corner of the page you'll see a Reputation section which lists the various comments that people have given you and a link to the post that earned you that rep.

Note: You can only give "Rep" to the same individual once per 20 people. So if you rep someone you won't be able to do so again until you have repped 20 others. Also you can only give out rep 5 times per 24 hour period. Assuming the default settings are being used.

Since the addition of some modifications to the system, you can now "like" individual posts. This will also add reputation, and should follow the existing reputation rules. Please let us know if you experience any problems.

Duvik
07-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Thanks for clearing that up... I was wondering about that actually. i saw rep comments in my CP but wasn't sure how to rep another. Thanks fer the great post...

and... rep'd :D

RPMiller
07-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Arcana, can you add the member's name to the Rep listing? It helps to know who the person is that makes the comment as well. Just in case the ask a question as part of the rep comment.

Robbie
07-27-2007, 10:50 AM
I don't think thats possible but I'll look...I think its designed to be anonymous. BUT...it may be a permissions thing that i can change.

Edit: Fixed I think..I have rep disabled for administrators (me) so I can't be certain, let me know if its working ok.

RPMiller
07-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Yup. It is working. Thanks!

HellHound
08-09-2007, 02:25 PM
I run a vB board also and noted that the rep I'm getting here is all grey rep.

What are the rep rules for rep power?

ie: how much rep and / or how many posts do you need before your rep power is 1?

(When your rep power is 0, you can only give out "grey" rep, which in turn doesn't increase the person's rep, and thus doesn't give them the power to give out real rep either).

Also, how does rep power increase?

The defaults for vB are pretty steep, with rep power starting too slow and increasing too quickly, in my experience. On our forums we ended up going with a system where rep power is 0 until you have 10 posts AND 10 rep, and then becomes 1 - but never goes up again. Otherwise you end up with people who have 1000 rep handing out 10 rep at a time.

RPMiller
08-09-2007, 02:47 PM
I believe rep is set to the default here as well. I notice that I can give out green rep, but I have over 600 posts and I've only received one green rep the other rep is all gray. Arcana would be the one to ask to find out for sure what the limits are set at.

Robbie
09-10-2007, 10:40 AM
I've modified the reputation settings AND added an FAQ entry about them. Check it out:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_rep_info

RPMiller
09-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Excellent!

You might consider changing the following though:

Register Date Factor: for every 60 days, user gains one point of rep factor
Post Count Factor: for every 50 posts, user gains one point of rep factor
Rep Point Factor: for every 50 points of rep, user gains one point of rep factor

Change to 1 year. Anything shorter rep is going to be huge very quickly.
1000 posts. Makes things easier to calculate and keeps the rep a bit more under control especially considering those of us who post like crazy.
100 point of rep. Makes things easier to calculate and keeps the rep from exploding and not really being worth much.

This is based on the years of using rep at the Hero Games site.
Here are my rep stats for Hero Games:
129807 rep points

That is actually about 3 years worth. When I rep someone I increase their rep power by 13 based on these numbers.

RobA
09-10-2007, 01:19 PM
So how can you tell your rep points and power? Somewhere in the User CP?

jaerdaph
09-10-2007, 07:46 PM
And is there a way to see the comments people have left?

Robbie
09-11-2007, 10:11 AM
You should be able to see your reputation and rep comments left to you (last 5 comments only) in the userCP...at least I can...if you can't then I must not have made the change properly for regular users.

RobA
09-11-2007, 12:19 PM
OK - see it on the upper RHS. Just never looked that far over before :)

jfrazierjr
06-13-2008, 12:42 PM
You should be able to see your reputation and rep comments left to you (last 5 comments only) in the userCP...at least I can...if you can't then I must not have made the change properly for regular users.

Is there a setting to show rep you have given others? Date, who, and comment would be nice just like how your own shows if possible. Also, if possible, it would be nice to see the last 20 or so you have repped to help knowing when you need to spread some around.

Joe

RPMiller
06-13-2008, 01:04 PM
There isn't a setting such as that and the system will warn you if you try to give someone rep that you haven't recently repped or if you need to spread some around.

Molch
03-02-2009, 02:37 PM
I've modified the reputation settings AND added an FAQ entry about them. Check it out:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/faq.php?faq=vb_board_usage#faq_rep_info

As of time of this post the above link is broken unfortunately.

RobA
03-02-2009, 03:24 PM
As of time of this post the above link is broken unfortunately.

Thanks Molch-

Fixed the link.

Have some rep for pointing it out.

-Rob A>

Molch
03-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks Molch-

Fixed the link.

Have some rep for pointing it out.

-Rob A>

Thank you. And now I actually know what it is good for. :)

Midgardsormr
03-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Do mine eyes deceive me? RobA has reached 300 rep and has a fourth green box! Congratulations; it's well deserved.

RobA
03-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Which also happens to give me a repping power of 10!

Though other are close behind...

-Rob A>

Redrobes
03-03-2009, 02:37 PM
snap snap snap heh heh

Congrats Rob. Stand aside Arcana, Robs steaming through with his +10 sacrificial dagger of mighty scripting :)

Steel General
03-03-2009, 04:40 PM
snap snap snap heh heh

Congrats Rob. Stand aside Arcana, Robs steaming through with his +10 sacrificial dagger of mighty scripting :)

Also known as Chicken Bane! :D

overlordchuck
03-15-2009, 06:54 AM
If I give out this so-called "gray rep," does it morph into "for-real rep" once I've hit the requirements?

EDIT: Not that I have gray rep. Just curious.

RPMiller
03-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Unfortunately no. The rep you give is what it is and doesn't change. However, but getting more rep your "repping strength" will grow and that should encourage you to make lots of awesome contributions so that you can turn around and really show others that you appreciate what they have done. In a sense, we all grow together.

Robbie
03-18-2009, 12:42 AM
RobA's rep power is truly earned, I fudged mine ;) I guess I'm gonna have to fudge mine up to +15 huh?

RPMiller
03-18-2009, 04:15 AM
Could you fudge mine a bit while you are at it? I so rarely get rep, it will take a couple more years to jump from my current +9 to +10. LOL

Ascension
04-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Don't know if this has been covered before...but I was wondering if there was a way that we could distribute less than full rep? Those of us who have big bonkers have to be responsible in how we bonk people but I like to give out rep to reward the great stuff as well as encourage the younger/newer members to keep up the good work. Seems kinda overkill to give out full rep to someone who has a pretty good intro map while someone who works really hard and long on a great map gets the same amount. If it's not possible then I guess I'll just have to use more smileys :) and try to use really cheery words to encourage folks 8) Just wondering.

RPMiller
04-19-2009, 12:41 AM
As someone that deals out 10 rep at a time I totally understand where you are coming from. I do not believe that you can do partial rep, but I like your smiley alternative. However, we still have to give out rep semi-regularly if we want to rep the same person for multiple things. In the end, I really don't think it will be that critical. We can only rep the same person intermittently and with others repping regularly the large hit you deliver is just a piece of the overall puzzle.

Personally I look at it as a way to encourage the things I specifically like to see. If you want a serious repping post up the stuff I am forever asking for or talking about and you'll get it. Additionally, make good solid logical and/or intelligent posts and you're likely to get repped as well.

Now then, all that out of the way, don't forget as a CL we can modify rep. Both up and down. ;)

Gandwarf
04-19-2009, 05:45 AM
Now then, all that out of the way, don't forget as a CL we can modify rep. Both up and down. ;)

Darn! Never found that function when I was CL for a day on the 1st of april.
Otherwise I would have given myself 999999 rep.

Talroth
04-19-2009, 10:18 AM
If you look at the top right corner of a post you'll see a set of scales.

Either something has changed since this was written, something is currently bugged, or one of us is under the influence of something,...

I could swear that the scales are on the bottom left corner of this post,...

Or maybe RPMiller needs to stop using his computer while doing head stands?

joćo paulo
04-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Don't know if this has been covered before...but I was wondering if there was a way that we could distribute less than full rep? Those of us who have big bonkers have to be responsible in how we bonk people but I like to give out rep to reward the great stuff as well as encourage the younger/newer members to keep up the good work. Seems kinda overkill to give out full rep to someone who has a pretty good intro map while someone who works really hard and long on a great map gets the same amount. If it's not possible then I guess I'll just have to use more smileys :) and try to use really cheery words to encourage folks 8) Just wondering.

Just give a strong rep' for all without distinction to merit.

RPMiller
04-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Either something has changed since this was written, something is currently bugged, or one of us is under the influence of something,...

I could swear that the scales are on the bottom left corner of this post,...

Or maybe RPMiller needs to stop using his computer while doing head stands?
You are correct it is the bottom left now. Note that that post was written in 2007. We have since upgraded to forum software. I'll go fix that in the original post. Thank you for the heads up.

RobA
05-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Congrats Ascension, on being the rep leader here at the guild! The second person to get 5 pips and you blow right by me ;)

(Guess that's what happens when you don't have the chance to map much for a couple months....)

-Rob A>

Ascension
05-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Sorry about that Rob, I'll try to scale back cuz you certainly deserve much more than me.

Gandwarf
05-22-2009, 05:12 AM
In ominous voice: just remember who you have to thank for that 5th pip Ascension. I know I remember... :D

Ascension
05-22-2009, 07:37 AM
I have a mind like a steel trap. Of course it doesn't work properly cuz I can't engineer my way out of a paper bag :)

Steel General
05-22-2009, 10:28 AM
I have a mind like a steel trap. Of course it doesn't work properly cuz I can't engineer my way out of a paper bag :)

and here I thought I was gonna see some rust comment or something :)

Immolate
07-13-2009, 07:54 PM
Trying to be a better guild member by reading some of the background posts like this one and learning how to use the forum software, and I've come to the conclusion that perhaps I've been throwing the rep around a bit too liberally. Now there probably isn't any harm done, as I doubt I can give more than a point away at a time, if that, but I will need to moderate my giving.

Is there a way to tell how much bang I have in my rep-giving? I comprehend the argument that says that if you have a higher rep rating to give, then it's appropriate that you give more, but I think that most responsible people will be more careful and try to act responsibly when given weapons of mass promotion.

Gamerprinter
07-13-2009, 08:15 PM
I believe those numbers exist in this thread, somewhere early on.

If I'm not mistaken, you need 10 points of REP yourself to be able to grant a point of REP. You get a point for each 100 points of REP, and one for each year as a full member.

I've been a member since July 2007, and I have 435 points of REP, but I seem to grant 9 points of REP when I give it out.

I sometimes forget to grant REP, but whenever I remember and see REP worth posts and maps, I freely give it REP when I can. Sometimes I find that I REPped someone recently and cannot apply new REP, so I wait until I can (I believe 20 handouts of REP between REPping the same person is the amount required) sometimes even handing REP to less REP worthy posts, but I'm really trying to catch up to older REP I wanted to hand out, but couldn't...

Does that help, Immolate?

Edit: oh, and the number of total posts give additions to REP granting as well.

GP

Immolate
07-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Very helpful GP. Not as convenient as having it posted somewhere but at least you can see figure it out. Thanks!

Steel General
07-14-2009, 07:04 AM
It's a secret formula - like the ones for Coke & Pepsi, locked away in a vault somewhere in the Florida Everglades. :D

Harewood
06-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Seems like an excellent rep system; nice and elegant. I suppose it's a vBulletin plug in and not available to us cheapos with free forums! lol

StillCypher
07-15-2010, 01:48 PM
In the FAQs, the icon indicating reps is a scale. The one showing in the member information on each post is a star. Might want to make them match! :D

daviddwilson
10-08-2010, 06:24 AM
http://www.cartographersguild.com/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_rep_info

Rep Point Factor: for every 50 points of rep, user gains one point of rep factor

RobA
10-12-2010, 11:46 AM

Why?

-Rob A>

mearrin69
10-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Boy. That could lead to some serious rep inflation. Seems to me that rep is supposed to indicate the community's regard for you, not be directly scaled to time registered or how prolifically you post. I couldn't link to the faq but isn't it presently 1 point every year? That seems like a good number to me...rewards you for sticking around and remaining active, but not excessively so. Is there currently rep based on post count?
M

geamon
10-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Don't think so mearrin. Besides I repeat RobA's statement "WHY?". To be honest just look at the post by post comments more then the rep.

Gamerprinter
10-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Despite not being active for a few months, I can answer this question. Rep is based on number of years since you've become a member, number of total posts, and the number of rep points granted to you by other members. So, yes, your total post count affects how much rep I grant when I give someone Rep. Last I checked, I grant something like 12 Rep whenever I give it out, whereas 'newbies' who have enough of their own rep to grant rep, only give 1 point of rep. The base number goes up once you reach 50 and again at 100 rep. Perhaps it still goes up with more Rep.

Let me experiment, Geamon currently has 34 Rep. Now I'm going to give him Rep and see how much I grant... now he has 48 Rep, so that means I grant 14 Rep, everytime I do.

I guess I forgot that I've hit another anniversary since I first joined, so I've been a member since June 2007... the more years go by, the more I can 'bonk' you with...

GP

Klokk
01-20-2012, 12:03 PM
The REP FAQ link does not work.

To see Your rep, Look up top and clicky on the " Settings " in the top right under your name. For me it says "Latest Reputation Received (22 point(s) total)" and that both Lukc and Jaxilon gave me rep and how much.

Robbie
09-15-2013, 08:11 PM
I've updated the OP to include Liking for Rep. Clicking like on a post should also apply reputation.

Jalyha
01-09-2014, 03:45 PM
vHi, sorry to necropost but...

I'm pretty sure I understand now the *basics* of how the rep thing works. And I kind of get why, since it's a sort of ranking system, you need to *have* rep, before you can give it... else some spammer/troll would come along and make 50 accounts and rep himself to god-mode... but...

I don't know how to say/ask this. I'll just use me as an example to start with. I'm (obviously) new here. And (more obviously) know nothing about cartography. So my first goal is (as it will be for most new people) to *learn*.

My initial visit, I was looking for an answer to a specific question. I read *massive* numbers of threads (post by post) and finally found the answer. After I registered, I went back and liked the post... or repped it? I'm not sure which, because, I repeat: >>Newbie<< .

I've also found 2 or 3 other posts that REALLY taught me something great, and either repped/liked those as well. Point being "Newbie wants to learn" and "This post actually helped". Since the point of "Tutorials" and "Guides" and such (which are a large portion of the forums) are meant to *teach*, I think this point is important. I think the fact that those posts educated people that DON'T know cartography.. that matters.

So I was a little distressed today to find out that the reps or likes or whatever I gave... (from what I understand) those didn't count for anything? Not only that, but I can never go back and re-do it? It is like a thank you card getting lost in the mail, and then the person moves away - you feel guilty every time you use their gift!

Unless I'm understanding wrong. Should I avoid that rep button until/unless I actually have some rep to give away?

And I still don't get what the difference is between reps and likes?

I don't want this to sound like a complaint, because it's not. I think it's a much better way of ranking contributions than whoever's post count is "over 9000". Rather, I'm struggling for clarity, as well as pointing out that (from my understanding) there's a hole in the system where a lot of genuinely helpful posts probably aren't acknowledged. What may seem basic to the "old-hands" at mapping, and therefore go unnoticed, is often truly helpful to the *beginners*.

Unless, again, I'm understanding wrong. So I guess my questions, in a very general sort of way, are 1) Am I correct in how the rep system works, 2) What is the difference between reps and likes, and 3) How can a newbie express their appreciation for something that really helped them?

foremost
01-09-2014, 03:56 PM
Hello Jalyha, I hope I'm able to answer a few of your questions!
You were exactly right behind the reasoning of why reputation
power isn't given to brand-new folks. The idea is that you have
to earn some rep before you can contribute back.

If you rep another user, but you don't have rep power yourself,
they'll generally appreciate it anyway; most of the members
here will be more excited someone liked what they did. Rep
isn't a very competitive thing. So no need to feel like you should
go back and do it over again when you get rep power.

You probably should use the like button more than repping,
as I think it's a more general expression of approval. Rep is
normally reserved for posts including maps, whereas a like
might go towards a useful comment. Plus, a like shows up
on the member's profile whether you have rep power or
not.

Keep working hard and posting maps to earn rep; another
good way is to complete a map for a mapping challenge.
Voters sometimes rep the artist who had a map they liked.

These are obviously just general guidelines, as the technical
rules and stuff were posted at the start of the thread. It
didn't seem like you had any problems with that. Plus, I'm
not a knowledgeable member of the community yet. Just
what I've observed.

Happy Mapping

Jalyha
01-09-2014, 04:16 PM
That actually answered precisely what I needed to know. A - that people do see the *attempt* at giving them rep, and B - that the "like" feature is more along the lines of what I needed anyway. :)

Thank you so much for clarifying. :D

Katto
01-09-2014, 04:24 PM
If you like what people are posting, but can't give rep at the moment you could also write some nice words in the user's vistor area.

Midgardsormr
01-11-2014, 12:47 PM
I know I always like seeing a rep entry in my control panel, even if it didn't come with any points.