PDA

View Full Version : How does this name for a setting sound to you?

vgunn
09-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Okay, I am (re)writing a series of novels that are Arabian Nights style fantasy. I think I've decided on a name for the world/setting.

Mir'aj (sounds like mirage)

Now, in Islam the word miraj is the second part of a journey taken by the Prophet Muhammad and his ascent into Paradise.

My books, rooted in Arabic tradition, however do not take place on Earth and the people of this world are not Islamic.

Most readers will think of an exotic desert setting (which is what I want). At the same time I do not it to be offensive to Muslims. I do not believe this to be the case, but I am running it by as many people as possible for feedback.

So I would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance!

NeonKnight
09-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Sounds cool, and definitely a place I would expect to have an Arabian Feel to it.

icosahedron
09-24-2009, 06:13 AM
Sounds good to me.

Of course, Muslims are as individual as Christians - what will offend one person will not offend another. You can't please everyone, and your concerns do you credit.

We have a guy here called Ascension (hi ;)) and he hasn't been lynched yet. I don't see the difference. :)

Steel General
09-24-2009, 07:48 AM
I think it sounds good, and like NK it brings to mind the desert-y type setting you seem to be aiming for.

vgunn
09-24-2009, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

Ascension
09-24-2009, 09:22 PM
I like Mir'aj better than the other, original, name anyways...just didn't want to tell ya ;) Your game = your rules, I just draw it.

ExMachina
09-24-2009, 09:40 PM
That's an excellent title for what you're doing as it evokes everything you're aiming for; the desert, an exotic culture, etc.

Not to mention it's a nice play on words with its pronunciation. ;)

voidgere
09-25-2009, 12:58 AM
As an artist, you should be concerned with how your audience will appreciate your work but you should not be as concerned with the way individuals will interpret your work.

I say this because no two people will see the work the same (keeping with the religious undertones expressed in this thread I will draw your attention to the bible - so many interpretations there).

vgunn
09-25-2009, 01:54 AM
As an artist, you should be concerned with how your audience will appreciate your work but you should not be as concerned with the way individuals will interpret your work.

I say this because no two people will see the work the same (keeping with the religious undertones expressed in this thread I will draw your attention to the bible - so many interpretations there).

Agreed. However, there can be times when an author thinks it is okay and then realizes it later (once it cannot be taken back) when it turns to be offensive. A bit of homework on my part I hope will reduce the chance of an unintentional mistake.

Ramah
09-25-2009, 05:39 AM
Agreed. However, there can be times when an author thinks it is okay and then realizes it later (once it cannot be taken back) when it turns to be offensive. A bit of homework on my part I hope will reduce the chance of an unintentional mistake.

Like Hayao Miyazaki with his film "Laputa." He took the name from Gulliver's Travels, not realizing that (apparently) in spanish it means "The Whore." I believe he was kinda mortified when he realised and although he could not change the film and the constant references to it, the title was changed to "Castle in the Sky" and those words are placed over the word "Laputa" on the title card at the beginning.

Slightly, off-topic I guess, sorry. The name sounds good by the way.

rdanhenry
10-02-2009, 04:42 AM
The only thing I think you're likely to be lynched for is the use of the arbitrary apostrophe. Mir-aj looks a bit less "faux exotic" than using the apostrophe. The only reason not to just write it "Miraj" is because you probably don't want it to actually duplicate the (Romanized spelling of the) Arabic word.