PDA

View Full Version : New Fantasy World for Pathfinder

Immolate
09-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Each of the members of my gaming group that run campaigns have worlds that they run in. One, my oldest friend Ron, is creating a new world and has given me lots of leash to create something for him. He gave me a rudimentary map with some some very general ideas of where some mountain and forest would be, and explained a few features that he wanted.

I figure I will take a stab at naming everything, then he can rename whatever he doesn't like. Naming is hard for anyone, but it isn't as difficult for me as it is for him.

This is a small map for me, only 2000x2000 pixels. It is in Ascension's atlas style, with plenty of variations.

Oh, if anyone has a good suggestion for a world name, I'd welcome it. The current worlds are Mythgar, Laramis, Andior and Kerris. I don't care for the name Kerris.

###WIP###

Alfar
09-25-2009, 05:38 AM
Beautiful map. Nice colors and layout. And the Shoals of Tarkarrdin, v. nice.

I can see why you'd do it, but I think it looks odd that the place names are squashed (scaled without proportions locked) in places. Maybe curving the texts would make them seem less blocky as well. (I know, it's a pain to do :P) The beveled texts on the mountains seem slightly aliased. Not sure if/how you can add anti-aliasing, or a subtle blur will do.

As for a name, hmm... I tried to build a WordBuilder script based on some of the names you had put on the map already. It came up with one name I liked: Chennatrea. It also suggested Gagainstear - maybe Gagain's Tear?

NeonKnight
09-25-2009, 06:20 AM
Looks good. Wish the rivers were a little more pronounced, as they are a little hard to see.

Steel General
09-25-2009, 07:07 AM
Lookin' good so far, I'm with NK on the rivers - they are a bit difficult to see.

Not a big fan of the text labels - but that's really more a preference thing than anything else.

As for names don't have any ideas at the moment. :P
Hmmm....Definitely stay away from Mythgar. Of the others you listed I like Laramis (even if it does sound like a forgotten Musketeer), of those on the map itself I like Tarkarrdin and I also like Alfar's idea of Chennatrea.

Immolate
09-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey thanks all for the commentary. I guess the bottom line on the labels is that I put something in and haven't really spent any time thinking about them yet. The mountain text I've been messing with to try to find something that works, but I'm not happy with that yet.

As far as the name, I'm not really obliged to provide anything, though I probably will because I understand that it is ten times easier to improve someone else's ideas than it is to come up with something good of your own, and even if I suggest a name that doesn't appeal to him, it will probably get him thinking. Whatever it turns out to be, it will probably short, strong, someone elemental in feel (not earth/air/fire water elemental, but basic and primitive elemental). Names like Elos and Shar--names that evoke mental images of elder Gods and ancient lands, now extinct. Lots of things change in a campaign world from year to year, but the name of the world is eternal.

Immolate
09-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Okay, worked on the fonts and styles a bit to see if I could find something better scaled and more pleasing, more functional. Opinions welcome!

### WIP ###

Steel General
09-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Much better, just making them consistent (dimension wise), made a huge difference.

Coyotemax
09-26-2009, 12:45 AM
ooh, that's nice. Octoclops Approves :D

I find the text for the shoals to be a tad distracting going over both sea and land, but that's a personal opinion there.

Ramah
09-26-2009, 07:16 AM
That looks great. The new fonts are way better than the original ones.

I'd also like to say how much I admire your mountains in this map. Mostly, when people use Ascension's tut to make their map I don't particularly like the mountains as to me they seem to resemble wisps of cloud. These look really great though.

Nice job. :)

Ascension
09-26-2009, 12:38 PM
The text looks much better, love the gradient on the Romanesque font.

Immolate
09-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Okay well that was a bit of a bother, coming up with a hundred or so names. I also made some adjustments on the sea labels. I wouldn't be surprised if I tranced out and named the last 47 towns the exact same thing.

Oh yeah, the rivers got some visibility love too.

### WIP ###

Coyotemax
09-27-2009, 12:50 AM
That is looking very nice! The names look fine to me, and I like the way you did the city/town markers.

I especially like the one town, Swiftwater (long story there, but our house got named Swiftwater Holt by our friends.. heh)

vhailor27
09-27-2009, 09:29 AM
I loved the mountains, now I love the text too.How did you create the 3d text. Also, what font is it?

Immolate
09-27-2009, 09:56 AM
The font is Gabrielle and the effect is as follows:

Drop Shadow: Multiple; 60% Opacity; 145 deg.; Distance 17; Size 33
Outer Glow: Normal; 75% Opacity; Black; Size 3
Inner Glow: Multiply; 100% Opacity; Noise 11%; Color ae880c; edge; Choke 19%; Size 75px; Contour is the standard "stair bumps" with a range of 56%
Bevel: Inner Bevel; Chisel Hard; Depth 300%; Up; Size 8; Angle 90;
Altitude 40; Highlight Color Dodge 56% e5d266; Shadow Multiply 87% 5a3015
Pattern is a grainy gold pattern with lots of variability expanded up to 254% with a blend mode of normal and 100% opacity.

LonewandererD
09-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Whoa, this a nice map and that a pretty cool effect you have on the font. On though, it's really just a personal preference thing but the rivers are a bit too "squiggly", i may be wrong but i think they should be a little straighter if they occured naturally.

-D-

Immolate
09-27-2009, 12:38 PM
My guide was the Mississippi, which at 1 pixel per mile looks like this:

When you really look at these big rivers close up, it becomes evident that representing them as anything other than a gross approximation would require serious time and technique.

Here's my map with some updates, including compass rose and scale. Mountain labels have been scaled down.

### WIP ###

Steel General
09-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Very nice Immolate!

The only thing I noticed that looked 'off' (and this might just be me), is the rivers look like they are raised above the land rather than being 'dug' into it.

Immolate
09-27-2009, 01:52 PM
I catch it that way too sometimes SG. The bevel is definitely down, but we are used to seeing global lighting coming from the northwest, and this is coming from the southeast... an oddity of Ascension's atlas tutorial. Since the mountains and hills are not globally lit, but rather have rendered lighting that doesn't automatically adjust, I'd have to go back and restart from that point. Ain't happenin'. I'm sure there's a less drastic way to address it and I'll give it some thought.

Immolate
09-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Here's an alternative... thoughts?

I also reduced the opacity on the compass and scale to tone them down a bit.

### WIP ###

Gidde
09-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Hrm ... I think I liked the first one better. Now your rivers look too fuzzed out to me. The compass and scale look good :)

Steel General
09-27-2009, 08:39 PM
I'd forgotten about the lighting change in Ascensions tutorial. I agree with Gidde the rivers look to soft now.

Maybe try to darken up the bevel colors *shrugs*, or just leave it as you had it. Sometimes I hate rivers ;)

Ascension
09-27-2009, 09:19 PM
When it comes to doing rivers, I'm always torn between beveling them to show height on the banks or using a dark green outer glow to show lush vegetation or a tan to show sand/mud. I used to use the green mostly, but now I'm sorta on the tan side. Beveling often produces the odd look so I've been avoiding it altogether.

Immolate
09-27-2009, 10:22 PM
This is done, I think, for now. I found a name, Eldimar, to use until and unless Ron decides to change it. I considered putting roads in, but decided against it. I can always do that later should it become necessary.

Thanks to all that helped, and a special thanks to Ascension for his excellent tutorial that formed the basis for this map.

### FINAL ###