PDA

View Full Version : *** September 09 Challenge Voting - Passage of Time ***

Ascension
09-28-2009, 07:47 PM
VOTE FOR THREE (3)

current entry maps: September 09 (http://www.cartographersguild.com/utilities/Thumbs/Html/Challengers_Sep09.htm)

Recap of this months rules: Rules (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6953)

Please give some Reputation to those that you vote for. I'm sure that they'll appreciate it.

Gidde
09-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Oh dear. I've been dreading this for weeks. At least we get to vote for three.

Immolate
09-28-2009, 08:39 PM
I voted for SG because I was enchanted by the presentation of the volcanoes and felt the piece closely adhered to the theme of the challenge.

Coyotemax combined two central "Passage of Time" ideas into a single piece, with both "before and after" combined with "follow the heroes". Clever enough, but the maps were well-executed and entertaining to read. I love art that seeks to make an impression on the viewers through common experience and values. Besides... octoclops!

Ashenvale did two things. First, he presented a piece that was unique in many ways, from the 3/4 perspective to the Monet-like quality of the colors and lighting. Second, he listened to everyone that commented without being defensive, and he spent a lot of time and effort trying to help others improve their own work. I was impressed by both aspects and would have given him my vote if I only had one to give.

Gidde
09-28-2009, 08:44 PM
That ... was hard.

I ended up voting for:

Coyotemax, because the map is both well crafted and clever, and because I just laughed out loud and had to read some comments to my hubby while I was looking over thumbnails.

Tear, for all of the little details that went into the different styles (I especially like that the city names evolved as they actually do).

And Toff. The colors are fantastic, the insets are really well done. I'm glad you got to finish!

I wish I had more votes. All of the entries were really voteworthy.

Gandwarf
09-28-2009, 09:10 PM
WHY? WHY DO WE TORTURE OURSELVES LIKE THIS?
This vote was too bloody hard.

I had to go with:
- Ascension, because Eddings was my first fantasy love (well after Tolkien that is) and his map looks epic.
- Ashenvale, because his map looks magical. It has a style I don't see a lot (Tear comes to mind here).
- Töff, because the map looks awesome and I appreciate the fact he was using a real town.

As I said, it was just too hard... I wanted to vote for all the others as well (the ones not dropped out). Especially Tear, CoyoteMax, Immolate and Steel General. But then there is Sapiento and Jerriecan... and AARGH.

Don't make this so hard next time, please...

Juggernaut1981
09-28-2009, 09:28 PM
I voted for...

Myself (because it seems a bit naff to not back yourself at least a little...)

Ashenvale because I liked the whole "old fantasy game" kind of feel his map gave me. I felt like I was about to commence an adventure in the "village of blah" which would lead to some massively epic demon/god-killing D&D super-campaign...

CoyoteMax because again, he sparked my inner D&D geek. The whole "new map/old map" thing was a nice amusing twist... and the notes were not bad.

Gandwarf
09-28-2009, 09:29 PM
I see at least half a dozen maps in this contest that would be worthy featured maps, by the way...

Coyotemax
09-28-2009, 11:41 PM
I was going to launch into a description about why I voted for the ones I did, but I decided not to.

if there were any constructive comments I could add, then I would, but really the only things I can say in that regard is "i wish the unfinished maps could have been finished" - ahwell.

All of the maps do a great job of addressing passage of time (and though Ashenvale kept pointing out that his didn't include actual time since it was a different locale, the perception of the adventurers would be passage of time, and that really kept it in in the running for me)

Well done to everyone, and I'm going to start repping the heck out of all the participants (at least the ones the board will let me, lol)

AslanC
09-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Well I voted, but it wasn't easy at all.

Thank the gods we had three votes so I feel less like I passed over good ones. :(

töff
09-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Töff, because ... appreciate the fact he was using a real town.I don't know if this is good or bad, but ...

The site is real. The River Great Ouse is real, and its course is accurate (you'll recognize it on Google Earth near the town of Beachampton). England, of course, is real, as is Northampton 10 miles to the north. Even the woad that grows in the area is real.

Woadsbury, however, is fictional -- a product of the imaginations of our writers group.

Ugh, sorry. I hope you don't regret your vote for me. If you have to take it back, I understand. Thanks either way, though :)

Ramah
09-29-2009, 04:01 AM
Ok, voted. Was a very tough choice but I managed in the end.

If I'd had just one vote it would have gone to Tear. I love all four maps in his entry but that last one is just genius. :)

Good luck all.

Gandwarf
09-29-2009, 06:42 AM
I don't know if this is good or bad, but ...

The site is real. The River Great Ouse is real, and its course is accurate (you'll recognize it on Google Earth near the town of Beachampton). England, of course, is real, as is Northampton 10 miles to the north. Even the woad that grows in the area is real.

Woadsbury, however, is fictional -- a product of the imaginations of our writers group.

Ugh, sorry. I hope you don't regret your vote for me. If you have to take it back, I understand. Thanks either way, though :)

You are right of course, I followed your WIP. I should have said you used the real world for inspiration and that you took an existing site and made it into something you can use. So yeah, I knew you put in a lot of fantasy, I still thought it very cool you used something from this world. Besides that, it's a cool map, something different from what we are used to see here.

And because of this, I certainly don't regret my vote.

Steel General
09-29-2009, 06:57 AM
After much deliberation (and nail biting, etc) I ended up voting for CoyoteMax, Tear & Toff.

Though several others could have easily gotten my vote as well.

Congrats to all the entrants!

Sapiento
09-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Coyotemax. He met the theme of the challenge perfectly (unlike me - you have to look twice on my map to grasp the theme, although I think it doesn't lack quality), the quality of the map is very good, too, and a certain humor is produced by the comments on the used map.

Gandwarf
09-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Coyotemax. He met the theme of the challenge perfectly (unlike me - you have to look twice on my map to grasp the theme, although I think it doesn't lack quality), the quality of the map is very good, too, and a certain humor is produced by the comments on the used map.

You do know you were allowed to vote for 3, right? :P

Sapiento
09-29-2009, 09:22 AM
You do know you were allowed to vote for 3, right? :P

Yes, but too late. Next time I take time to read more exactly.
Terrible habit.

zenram
09-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Well i voted for Sapiento for his beautiful map, i love the style.

Toff, just unbelievable, its a great map that matches the theme at perfection.

Coyotemax, wow a great map and with great humor, thats a lot to achieve.

Karro
09-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Man... tough challenge.

I ended up voting for

Ascension (love the style; you always pull out something unique and beautiful)

Toff (This is a great, flavorful map; the insets really work for it)

and Sapiento (nice style)

I also meant to vote for Tear, but missed his entry on my first pass (can't view the thumbnails here at work, so had to dig through each thread)... not sure who he would've displaced on those I voted for, but that map was fantastic, and the style-changes really achieved the feel of "passage of time". Count yourself phantom-voted-for.

Ashenvale
09-29-2009, 10:55 AM
I hope lengthy praise isn’t a faux pas (voice-activated software makes it far too easy to spit out volumes of nonsense), but here how I voted and why:

--------------------

tőff’s Woadsbury: This map contains one of the strongest abstract patterns I’ve seen, elevating it from simple cartography to art.

By changing the shapes, sizes, interior colors, and border solidity of the rectangular forms, tőff made the boxes echo each other without ever becoming repetitive. This echo creates a visual cadence that sweeps my eyes around the picture plane, delighting at the variety. Each boxed map feels like a new treasure chest I get to explore. The strong linear element of the river in the main map ties up the composition. I ride along the river and its tributary, which carries me back to the vignettes repeatedly. The timeline the vignettes present flows naturally, right to left, then top to bottom, but simultaneously unexpectedly in their rhythm, punctuated by the title, the heraldic device, and the nifty country map and pull-out. This thoughtful, logical, and yet quirky flow engages me more in the maps' content – the changes to the village over time – than I would have been if you’d just lined the era boxes up in a row or stacked 'em up in a column. Composition serves content.

And I need not comment on the exceptional skill used to execute the image’s myriad details. But I can’t help but compliment the visual wonder the image as a whole inspires through its unexpected placement of elements. If this weren’t a map, if it were just colors and shapes and values stripped of narrative content, I’d still be enthralled.

--------------------

Immolate’s Leonardo’s Landscaping: I can’t imagine a more charming idea for a “before and after” map! But Immolate also presents all of its elements with such care and delight. I can’t find a weak moment in the entire presentation. The magazine pages, the landscaping logos (big and small!), the advertiser’s pitch, the anecdotes, the smart little surprises (The Gnome Depot, Google Oerth!), all come together to look professional while simultaneously carrying the humor. That’s what makes it so charming.

When I zoomed in on the “before” side and saw the orcs’ catapult, I roared! The grunge that the “before” image evokes makes me want to take a shower. I swear I can smell the place through my computer screen. And the after side rocks too! Nice lighting, gloriously three-dimensional trees full of color and depth, fabulous gazebo cupola, perfectly manicured details throughout.

Juxtaposing pictures of the hotty elf with the classic garden gnome got me laughing again. You captured both my and my grandmother’s interest in fantasy. Didn’t think that could be done!

Inspired thought, beautifully executed . . . and funny!

--------------------

Coyotemax’s Gelderland: Once again, humor carries the day! The map is gorgeous, wonderfully distressed, an example of how to do this kind of thing. But I didn’t really appreciate it until just now, when I zoomed in and began reading all the marginalia. Very, very smart! Characters revealed through different handwriting and voices. I’m ashamed I failed to see the brilliance in this entry earlier, particularly since Coyotemax has been so helpful developing my own piece.

--------------------

I need more votes to cast!! I almost voted for Ascension’s Voyage of the God Slayer for the sheer freakin’ beauty of the piece! LOVE the posterized style! Damn, that dude’s got chops!

Sapiento’s Piktoplano Magnifiko also embodies a splendor that comes only from real love of our craft. I’m enthralled by his subtle, earthy palette, presented with such nuanced balance. But the compass rose! Damn! I’m stealin’ that thing for one of MY maps! (Did I say that out loud?)

jerrican’s lusciously colored before-and-after image portraying Chaskar’s death also captivates me. I particularly like the prominence of the vestigial border of the continent on the dead planet, a visual marker of all that’s been lost. It’s hard to effect an image of such overall beauty while conveying such a grim theme, so I wish I hand another vote to laude this success.

Tom_Cardin
09-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Oops I didn't realize that I could vote for 3..I just voted for 1. That was Coyotemax for a very well drawn and entertaining experience.

I am really impressed by everyone's maps though! So many different techniques and approaches to the theme. I loved the variety and high quality of execution.

Adanvo
09-29-2009, 02:43 PM
My votings are:

Tear: I like the different maps very much, and it´s a great idea to "pin" them on a board like this

Töff: Awesome map. I like the creation with the smaler maps and your mapping style.

Steel General: The structure of the mountain/volcano is cool.

töff
09-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Danke schön (und willkommen).

That reminds me, I have a postcard I need to try to write in German. Use it or lose it!

gilgamec
09-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Hmmm... I wasn't aware we were supposed to post reviews. Ok, then. I voted for:

töff, Woadsbury (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6983): Beautiful work; even just the "main" map is great. Especially wonderful are the frames; not uniform, not even closed, but flowing together organically. A slight nitpick: wouldn't that area have been Roman in AD 350?

Coyotemax, Lynch the Scribe (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7022): Even the "before" map is nice: great trees, mountains, an amusingly completist list of "encounters". Then the hilarious "after" map seals it. My favourite: "WE DON'T GO HERE" -- "Because there's bloody well nothing here"

Tear, Sapphire Bay (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7082): I was expecting more people to take this route (drawing the same area using the map styles of different eras), but this one is very nicely done. I like how the names change organically: the castles become "Stonewall" and "Castleport", Ellar takes over the lands of the Argatian Empire (and they become a nature preserve), Greenvale (which is just a nice green valley in the oldest map) survives to become a trading post, etc. There are a couple of problems: in the thread, Tear mentions that the maps show exactly the same part of land, with the same map projection and everything, but I think that helps to get across the sense of progress. What I don't really see is the scale: if the scale bar is to be believed, everything is very small (Spira is only 25 miles long!); too small to fit everything in, maybe.

Other maps I liked:

Immolate, Leonardo's Lawnscaping (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6994): A cute idea, nicely executed. Some nice touches in the map: Guido the cave troll, the "relocated" tenants, Leonardo sleeping on the deck. Would have been my fourth choice, if we had one.

Steel General, Unexpected Int-Eruption (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7061), and jerriecan, Chaskar's Doom (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7063): Quite similar, not only in idea but in effect (on me at least). Both are beautifully rendered: I especially like the red giant and the smoking crater! The problem with both is that (unlike, say, Sapphire Bay), I never felt any kind of attachment or sense of loss in Makhazi or Chaskar; Sapphire Bay, on the other hand, has an actual history (well told through the maps) that we feel has actually been lost in the post-apocalyptic final map.

Ashenvale, Feeding Hills (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7166): Gorgeously rendered, easily the most aesthetically appealing map of the Challenge. It's just not, well, not very informative; besides the church, I have no idea what any other building in the village is, where the roads go, what have you; I feel no association with this village. It's almost so damn pretty I don't care, but it still doesn't quite have it for me.

Sapiento, The Celesian Empire (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7068): Like all of Sapiento's maps, marvelously executed. The only problem is that, beyond the "dates of joining the Empire", I don't see the "passage of time" theme! It looks more like a "general information" map which happens to include dates, than an "historical" map; if, say, the regions had been differently coloured based on their dates of conquest, it might have seemed more fitting.

So, lots and lots of beautiful and well-executed maps. Great Challenge this month! I can hardly wait for the next one....

töff
09-29-2009, 05:04 PM
töff, Woadsbury (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6983): ... A slight nitpick: wouldn't that area have been Roman in AD 350?Indeed. There was a Roman installation called Towcester only a few miles north. I will try to include it in all the other labelling that is yet to come. Woadsbury itself, though, at that time, was simply a small native village, unworthy of Roman atten tion except perhaps to extract some of its domestic product (mostly woad and food, then) for taxation. Our first story takes place with King Arthur's ennoblement of the first Baron Woadsbury, well after the Roman withdrawal.

Gandwarf
09-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Hmmm... I wasn't aware we were supposed to post reviews.

It isn't a requirement.
But it is appreciated.

ravells
09-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Ugh this is the problem about voting without looking properly at the maps and not expanding the thumbnails...sorry Coyote, had I seen it in all it's glory, it would have got mine...excellent stuff and a really good laugh in the bargain.

:: edit :: I'm reading more of this now and I'm still laughing....how DID I miss this entry???

:: sides hurting now::

armoredgear7
09-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Coyotemax: A beautiful map made absolutely hilarious in the after version. When you finished your map mid-month I knew I'd be voting for you.

Ashenvale: An unusual perspective and an interesting technique too. I'm glad to see the map completed; the overall atmosphere and detail of the ruins make for a fantastic result.

Toff: There's a very sleek professionalism about this map, and you get props for finding a nice way to combine your different eras into one image. For me, your solution for organizing the space won you the vote over Tear, whose work was also excellent.

DevinNight
09-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Again I'm floored by how great the maps look.
I voted for Ashenvale for his wonderful dreamy and dark vision of the town.
Toff for his fantastic way of working it all in, in one great looking image.
Jerriecan for his approach, a great look at a dying planet in all it's 3d glory.

I'm going to have to make future challenge request be indoors just to have a glimmer of a chance of competing with you guys, as far as outside terrain is concerned I'd never have a chance.

Nice job to everyone who worked on the challenge.

torstan
09-29-2009, 10:30 PM
What a stellar month for entries. Seems everyone's back from their summer vacations with a vengeance. Well done to everyone on this months competition. These are a fantastic testament to the skill in the guild.

Ashenvale
09-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Ashenvale, Feeding Hills (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7166): Gorgeously rendered, easily the most aesthetically appealing map of the Challenge. It's just not, well, not very informative; besides the church, I have no idea what any other building in the village is, where the roads go, what have you; I feel no association with this village. It's almost so damn pretty I don't care, but it still doesn't quite have it for me.

Excellent point, Gilgamec! Great criticism. In its present form, the map could well leave one feeling somewhat disconnected, somewhat lost, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of a map. I won't blunder into that shortcoming again in another Challenge.

My friend (the adventure's author) and I (as cartographer and possibly, hopefully, the illustrator), have over two months until the publisher's likely deadline for this project. (Words like "Christmas" and "New Years" have been bantered about.) Accordingly, the adventure manuscript itself continues to evolve. Given the lengthy and somewhat fluid timeline, the author hasn't nailed down locales yet, compromising my ability to add a key or tags that designate areas, buildings, and the like.

I'd nonetheless flirted with inventing one of my own design for this Challenge, even though I'd have to chuck it for the real map in the end. But the most descriptive names -- the best locale ideas -- come from the manuscript. While I'm bold enough to thrust my work out there before the publisher locks things down with a Nondisclosure Agreement, I'm far too chicken to offer up the author's ideas without permission. Even so, I'd leaned towards fabricating my own place names and putting them into the map jsut for Challenge purposes (as I think I mentioned in my developing map thread -- or perhaps I just whined that I lacked time for tags, I'll have to go back and check). But I bit off more than I could chew trying to shoe-horn this commission into this Challenge's timeframe.

I flat ran out of time.

Not an excuse! What one offers for a Challenge is what one offers for a Challenge. Deadlines are the real world. Meet them or shut up. And I'm proud of what I submitted in its present form.

But your comments help me see my entry with keener insight. That’s why this site is splendid. With your help, I'll now make sure the final version to hit the publisher's desk fills the viewer with a profound and meaningful sense of place. My thanks! Have some rep, dude! ("THWACK!!")

You just made my work product better.

(An personal aside: I'm still holding my breath hoping that I get the greenlight to illustrate the cover and create some of the adventure's interior artwork. I've prepared a rockin' mock-up of the cover, which the author sent off to the publisher as an enticement. But no word back yet. Waiting—waiting—waiting . . . cross your fingers for me!)

philipstephen
09-30-2009, 02:15 AM
i accidentally only voted once... Ascension and Ashenvale would have had my other 2, but it seems like Tear is the only one that I actually voted for...

good luck everyone!

Aegeri
09-30-2009, 04:49 AM
Man there were so many entries here that I really loved.

Why only 3? So cruel :(

Gregorus Prime
09-30-2009, 05:05 AM
Also voted only once by accident, but for me Steel General was the standout. My god, those are some beautiful maps.

Depassage
10-01-2009, 07:07 PM
It's my first vote, and I must say it's been quite difficult to choose between some excellent artworks. For some others, I should say I didn't really saw the application of the theme to be treated, in spite of the technique used.

My choices:
1. Toff: I appreciated very much the area scale chosen and the time span of 1000 years. I like the layout too.
2. Tear: Really impressive how you master every mapping techniques with an apparent ease. Great work and great idea to let us travel through time using these techniques.
3. Coyotemax: Simple but great idea and quite elegant style. Nice work.

Endarguul
10-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Its really hard to make a decision for three... all of them are great...

But I finally decided for:

Tear because I liked the Idea and the conversion of the idea.

Ascension because I love the style.

Coyotemax because I liked the style and the idea.

Avulsion
10-03-2009, 12:01 PM
i accidentally only voted once... Ascension and Ashenvale would have had my other 2, but it seems like Tear is the only one that I actually voted for...

good luck everyone!

I voted for the same ones :P

töff
10-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Holy crap ... did I actually win? ... against such competition!?

Coyotemax
10-04-2009, 12:16 AM
I believe you did, very nicely done.

*applause*

It was a close vote all the way through though!

Immolate
10-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Congratulations Toff! Way to go man! A well-deserved award.

Sapiento
10-04-2009, 05:30 AM
Congrats, töff!

Gandwarf
10-04-2009, 06:07 AM
Congrats Toff!

Steel General
10-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Congratz Töff!!

Tear
10-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Congratulations Töff!

töff
10-04-2009, 11:56 AM
I don't know how the value of the award changes when the competition was so strong. Does it mean I really get like only 1/5 of it, and the rest spread around, like the votes were? or does it make the award five times more meaningful for the lucky schmoe who actually ends up with a couple more chads than the other guys?

Wow, thanks, I really am quite stunned ... and somewhat dubious about whether I really had the best entry. But hey, a Golden Compass! I don't have one of those, so ... I'll take it! TENGKYU!

Woadsbury will continue to evolve. I am thinking I might even do a present and future iteration, also. But I've already crammed in more than I should have on 11x17. I might just bite the bullet and go to 20x30 or whatever size I can get cheap somewhere. I need to price shop Gamerprinter vs. CafePress.

And @ Sapiento: as much as I wonder why I got the most votes, you should wonder why you got so few. Your entry was awesome: a great detailed map that answered the passage of time. You got robbed, man. Sorry! Life ain't fair and democracy has serious problems. (Still the best system we have, though.)

Redrobes
10-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Well done Toff.

Nah the votes aren't fair many times but I thought your map was very cool and you have had very cool ones in the past and not got that compass so if you could carry remainder votes over from near wins then you would have a fair pile of them. Everyone deserved to win this time. Each month it seems harder than ever to differentiate between the entries.

Gandwarf
10-04-2009, 12:56 PM
As I said before, there were at least half a dozen entries that could and maybe should have won this contest. Unfortunately there can be only one winner...

This contest was indeed very hard. An example: look at the maps made by Immolate and Ascension. These maps had amazing quality yet "only" got around 10 votes.

töff
10-04-2009, 01:05 PM
... you have had very cool ones in the past and not got that compass so if you could carry remainder votes over from near wins then you would have a fair pile For the record, this was my first and only entry into a monthly challenge.

töff
10-04-2009, 01:06 PM
at least half a dozen entries that could and maybe should have won this contest. Unfortunately there can be only one winnerYeh, and this is why the Oscars every year never fail to aggravate millions of people.

Ashenvale
10-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Congratulations, Töff! Well deserved!

Immolate
10-04-2009, 11:43 PM
When will we be seeing the October challenge? I am currently between projects and hoping this month's challenge will appeal :)

Gandwarf
10-05-2009, 05:56 AM
This week... it's probably going to be a challenge with the Trade theme.

Karro
10-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Hey, a late-breaking congratz to Toff. Seriously great map, but you're totally right about the seriously great competition. I think that means that you've got a great map among many great maps, and to be the best among the best is no small honor.

zenram
10-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Congrats to all of you, this month show to all us how to participate. XD

melliefluous
10-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Woo hoo, Toff!!!! I wish I'd known yesterday, I'd have tooted your horn for you at Writer's Group! I'll go tell on you now :p

How cool - our own Woadsbury has an award-winning map :)