PDA

View Full Version : Untitled Map

Faelpen
09-30-2009, 07:41 PM
This is my third map. I finished the first, but not the second and lost both in a computer crash.

I used RobA's tutorials Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map, and Simple Mountains in Gimp. They were very helpful.

I'm planning on using this one for a book.

This map is free for personal use only.

Steel General
10-01-2009, 07:26 AM
Pretty good implementation of RobA's tutorials.

Is there are reason the Mountains are all white?

Faelpen
10-01-2009, 10:30 AM
@Steel General: Those are the snow caps, which I admit do look slightly too big. I might change those.

The compass used by Gidde in Yet Another Middle Earth caught my eye and I'm considering using something like it in finishing up the map. I still have to figure out towns and stuff like that, too.

Gidde
10-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks Faelpen, I honestly thought that compass was the biggest failing of that map. For one that's more ornate (and much better imo) with the same concept, check out Tear's Westeros map in the Gallery.

I'd totally agree that the snowcaps need some shrinking, but I like their texture :)

Faelpen
10-01-2009, 12:54 PM
Yes, Tear's Westeros compass (and map) is definitely very good, but I like the simpler style of your compass.

Karro
10-01-2009, 12:59 PM
I minor point of criticism on implementing RobA's tut, here:

Make sure you mask out the dirt layers according to where the rivers will be (as it is the dirt runs over your rivers at the moment). I'd also try something to make the rivers a little bluer, since at the moment the are shallow-sea-white. Maybe with a light, semi-transparent brush on the sea layer beneath your land run over the path of the rivers with a bluer color.

Faelpen
10-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Yes, definitely have to get the rivers blue, probably gonna do that next.

Faelpen
10-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Ok, here is an update. Smaller snow caps (though might need to be smaller still), colored mountains, and cloud cover.

I colored the mountains using a gradient map with 'lowest dirt' foreground and 'high dirt' background colors. I then halved the saturation to make them grayer than the dirt.

I also uploaded one without cloud cover so details can be more easily seen.

Coyotemax
10-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Is it just me, or do some of the rivers split off as they go? Or is that intentional for some non-physics reason?

Looking nice overall though, the forests look pretty decent.

Gamerprinter
10-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Please read the entire thread for the following link...
http://forums.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3822

Your rivers are doing non-realistic things like forking downstream with two separate channels going to the sea. Why do so many people not understand how rivers work? Two or more rivers join to form forks, they do not split apart and fork away from each other.

Anamolies exist in the real world, but only at very small scale, they split around islands then rejoin on the otherside, or they form deltas near the mouth of extensive flat regions depositing silt that forms separate channels, but honestly, most rivers do not have a delta, its actually somewhat rare with the Nile, Missippi and Ganges among the examples that exist.

The rest of your map seems sound, but the rivers are screwed up. Please fix and show us an update!

GP

Faelpen
10-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I wasn't very happy with the rivers either, I'll have to work on those.

Faelpen
10-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Ok, here is an update with bluer rivers. I going to restart this one from scratch because there a couple things I don't like that I think I could do better on and this one is close enough to done that I won't feel like it isn't finished.

The new one will be almost the same, but with changes to the rivers and a couple other things. I'll also get the cities figured out and stuff like that.

So here is version 1.2:

Coyotemax
10-01-2009, 03:01 PM
The rivers are looking much more like rivers, can't wait to see them sorted out!

Oh, another thing I noticed is that your lake has multiple inflows but nothing leading out. might want to look to that too in the interests of completeness :)

(not trying to come down on you for it, just offering suggestions for a bit more accuracy in realistic rivers)

Faelpen
10-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Okay, here is the new version of the map. I hope the rivers are better than before. I had some trouble with the colors of the forest, but I think I got it mostly worked out.

Once again, there are unclouded and clouded version.

Juggernaut1981
10-14-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah... watch out for those River Police... they'll get you just like an RBT from an unmarked car...

*whoosh*
NOOOOObody expects the River Police...
Our weapon is fear, fear and surprise!
Our weapons are fear, fear and surprise... and

*whoosh*

Ascension
10-14-2009, 07:58 PM
We'll throw a rack on you and put you in a comfy chair.

Gidde
10-14-2009, 10:49 PM
It looks like you maybe used white for the surf rather than light blue ... the rivers look a little too white, and the surf looks a little like clouds rather than spray. Might want to try darkening the sea layer a bit with a blue overlay layer.

Other than that, this is looking great :)

xequar
10-20-2009, 10:10 PM
I like the style (see my Nesspressen WIP...).

I have to agree with others here, though. Your rivers look like roads to me. Maybe if you thickened them up just a bit and darkened the blue. I do like that they look slightly sunken into the landscape.

Good stuff so far though.