PDA

View Full Version : Do not let this happen to you.

Coyotemax
10-02-2009, 05:07 PM
It's so easy to fall out of touch with friends in this day and age.
you take for granted that they will always be there, and that at some point you'll get back in touch, and things will go back to the way they were.
Do Not Trust That It Will Happen.
Get back in touch now. And keep in touch, even if it's just quick emails once a week or two. I assumed one of my best friends would be around forever and that we'd always be able to laugh and joke around - after all, we'd fallen out of touch briefly before and went back to our friendship like no time had ever passed.
Then recently I found out she'd passed away. To me, this was like a physical punch to the gut. How could this have happened? how could I not have known?
Easy. We fell out of touch.
So if there's a friend you haven't spoken to in a while, fire off an email, make a phone call, write a letter, drop by their house. Don't let this happen to you. As sure as you are that nothing will change, or that nothing will happen, it can. medical emergencies come up, car accidents, broken limbs, house fires, any number of things could happen. Don't let your last memory be "talk to you next week" and then find out 12 months later you'll never get the chance to talk to them again.

Karro
10-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

I have a few I need to get back in touch with, just to let them know I care. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Ramah
10-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Yeah, real sorry to hear your story CM. I have several friends who I have lost touch with yet it would take little more than a call or an e-mail to re-establish contact.
Thanks for the kick up the arse. I'm going to do it.

Ascension
10-02-2009, 05:43 PM
I talk to my friends just about every day...they're all here :) Yeah, I'm one of those loner dudes...except for here.

Steel General
10-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend C-max...

My friends are to spread out (all over the world), but I try my best to keep in touch.

Coyotemax
10-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the comments.

It just hit me really hard that this could have been avoided just by the occasional note or phone call, and I would have been able to head down in person to offer extra support.

Well, if someone else can avoid that and learn from my mistake, I'll feel a bit better.

zenram
10-03-2009, 01:50 AM
Im sorry to hear about it...

Im gonna do some calls...

Turgenev
10-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend, Coyotemax. Your post reminded me that I should call a friend of mine that I haven't talked to in a couple years.

Immolate
10-04-2009, 11:14 PM
It is the irony of life that we always learn the wisdom we need at precisely the moment that it becomes too late. My condolences to you CM.

Coyotemax
10-05-2009, 01:03 AM
thanks for the kind words everyone. Really the point was "go and catch up before it's too late" more than "feel sorry for me", but I appreciate the sentiment :) (i hope that statement didn't come off wrong, it can be difficult to word things liek that for me)

As an update, while I've been getting in touch with others from my own past to catch up and say hi - i found another formerly close friend has passed away. So this process has a very sharp double edged sword.

Passage of time - 2
Coyotemax - 0

NeonKnight
10-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Sorry for your loss

Sirith
10-13-2009, 01:25 PM
My condolences, and good luck in getting in touch with your friends again.

And you make a very good point. I'm quite the introvert, and just asking people about them makes me feel uncomfortable (that said, there are a number of people that like me and like having me around). But you hit a nerve, one that I was looking for (I've been trying to be a little more outgoing, and most of the time it just doesn't work, I think this might help me get over it).

So thanks mate, for sharing your loss and urging others to pick up those lost friends :)

vhailor27
10-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Sorry for your friend. I've also lost some friends some years ago in car accidents.
Lately I came up with a theory. Every second we live we roll a dice. A dice with a million sides. We roll some of them several times while others never.
If that is what really happens in life you realize that each of us is the PC in our own RPG. Some may even roll a critical hit. Some. But we all are destined to roll 1. Lets call that a critical miss. At that point you see that the best thing about the trip was the company and the path you chose.