PDA

View Full Version : Part of Varness (first map post)

gwynwas
10-03-2009, 05:22 PM
Okay, this is my first post here. This map started as a hand drawn map in your most basic Tolkienesque style. I drew it about 15 years ago for a DnD campaign. More recently, I scanned it and decided to play with it a bit to experiment with adding effects to it.

The scan was black and white and the original drawing was done with a No. 2 pencil on drawing paper. All color, textures, effects, and most of the lettering were added in Photoshop CS2. I used a crinkled paper texture for the background which I thought went well with the original pencil drawing. The colors were done with wet-edge brushes for a watercolor look. The sea areas were intended to look cut out and the color of the sea was originally blue but I decided to change it to a coffee-stain color in keeping with the paper and pencil theme.

The following work is Copyright Protected by David Dodson. This image may not be downloaded, copied, linked to, or edited in any manner or form for use on any website, image gallery, clipart collection, printed product, or other derivative uses without express written permission from the artist, except as specifically permitted under the posting terms and conditions of the Cartographers' Guild website.

Gandwarf
10-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Welcome to the guild gwynwas. Have some reputation for posting a map and a beautiful one at that. It looks great and has a good fantasy vibe.
Very courageous to take and old map and fiddle with it some more, especially a 15 year old map.

I think you made the right choice on the color of the ocean.

Rythal
10-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Very good! have some rep!

(lol at "serve death, disappointment, and disembowelment")

Ascension
10-03-2009, 07:25 PM
You'll fit in quite nicely around here. Welcome and great map.

Steel General
10-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Karro
10-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Nice update for an old handdrawn. The effects pull off very well. I like all the little bits of story here and there throughout the map.

Immolate
10-05-2009, 05:31 PM
I think it's a unique and fascinating style you've come up with. I think it could benefit from a bit of grungification.

gwynwas
10-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the comments and input. I don't think I'm going to do anything else with this map, but I'm going to have fun experimenting with the different style found on this forum . . .

shantedracule
10-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Simple and eligant, Very detailed yet non-cluttered. THe colors play nice and the ideons make this seem more inplace of a fantasy setting. Nice work, I can only hope that my first completed map turns out so well.

Turgenev
10-07-2009, 05:27 PM
Welcome to the Guild, and have some rep for a fantastic map!

rdanhenry
10-09-2009, 04:06 AM
You did an incredible job on the textures and three-dimensionality of the image. Some of the text is really cool, too. But I have to say that when I looked at it up close, my thought was that "the cartographer must have been eating Cherrios and spilled some" looking at the castle symbols. You might want to change the color there or something if you don't want the viewer reminded of breakfast.

The pencil to indicate north is clever.