PDA

View Full Version : WIP untitled world in another style

Adanvo
10-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Here is another map of the campaign world in another style. Has someone ideas how to make good mountains which fit to this style?
Other comments?

Ascension
10-04-2009, 10:11 AM
Go through the Mapping Elements section and look for mountain brushes, there's a bunch there.

Adanvo
10-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Oh thanks Ascension!

Rythal
10-04-2009, 09:12 PM
yah like ascension said, look through there. I also think that the antique style suits the map a lot better than the other one you did. If you want my artists opinion, I would say find a different color of glow around the land... to me the dark blue just looks out of place.

looks like a good (re) start :)

Immolate
10-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Agreed on the dark blue. It makes it look like the continents are floating on the ocean rather than being high spots in the ocean floor.

Adanvo
11-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Here is a totaly new version of the map.

Rythal
11-26-2009, 05:30 PM
looking nice!

The mountains are alright for now, though a bit on the repetitive side.

The hills are very uniform, something you might want to change. also, the fact that the hills are so far apart from each other, and so uniformly placed makes it look unnatural.

Finally, to put it very professionally, your rivers arent squiggly enough.

seeing much improvement however ;)

Ascension
11-26-2009, 07:25 PM
My first thought is that the trees are all too big and the mountains are spaced too far apart. I know that putting them closer together will result in overlap and create problems of its own. That's why it's better to draw your mountains in by hand instead of using brushes. It takes time to learn that skill so until you do you'll have to put your mountains on numerous layers and erase the parts that overlap...a process that will take almost as long as drawing them by hand. We use lots of professional words here and "squiggly" is a big one :)

Adanvo
11-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks guys. I will work on that!

Adanvo
12-14-2009, 02:53 AM
I has taken some time, but here is a "revised version". Till now i only worked on the river problems. I think it's a better now but not fully satisfying to me so i will work on that again.
The tree, mountain and hill problems are next on the list, maybe i will try the "handmade idea" next year after buying a graphicboard with the new pc :D

jfrazierjr
12-14-2009, 08:54 AM
My first thought is that the trees are all too big and the mountains are spaced too far apart. I know that putting them closer together will result in overlap and create problems of its own. That's why it's better to draw your mountains in by hand instead of using brushes. It takes time to learn that skill so until you do you'll have to put your mountains on numerous layers and erase the parts that overlap...a process that will take almost as long as drawing them by hand. We use lots of professional words here and "squiggly" is a big one :)

An alternative to drawing totally by hand (which I recommend as good practice by the way.. see my sig link) Is to fins some brushes that have full color as part of the brush itself. Unfortunately, this leaves PS out since it's brushes all work as greyscale versions while GIMP allows full color brushes. Though I have not made a full map from scratch and posted, I have played around with a few brushes I made and you can quickly and easily get something nice as long as your willing to go back in and add a bit of clean up time after the fact. Eventually, I will get back to making up my mountains brush pack for GIMP.... perhaps it's time to start working on it again....

katoblepa
12-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi Adanvo!
I like the new version much more, nice work. Especially I fell in love with Seanril Island, don't know why :)
And I like the continuity of the mountains between land masses.

Well, I'm not professional, but here's what I would change:
- the palm trees are too near to the coast and too crowded, I'd leave more space between them;
- I'd enlarge the width of the map to leave more sea right and left, and write "Dunkle See" with some orientation, instead of plain vertical;
- I'd add some textures or patterns to make the map feeling more "real"

Hope I've been helpful :)

Juggernaut1981
12-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Adanvo, if you are looking for an "antique hand-drawn" style map, then your fonts aren't really a good fit and you should try source the "original colours".

You are looking for classic ink colours, Prussian Blue, Cobalt Blue, Vermillion, India Black Ink, etc. They can be a pain in the butt to replicate but VERY much worth it.

Another thought is that your fonts really aren't quite right. You want fonts that potentially come from the "Etching/Engraving" categories and the "Seriously Embellished Calligraphy". Most maps have the Cartouche with important names (location & person who paid me to make it) in very elaborate fonts; the locations tend to change font only for the important places (Major Ports, Capital Cities, Nations).

If you google for 1500's maps you tend to get good examples. Also consider the "exploratory maps" of the mid-to-late 1400s. These will include things such as Columbus' Voyage to the Americas.

Adanvo
12-15-2009, 05:39 AM
Thanks guys, i will try to work on most of your ideas and post a revised version as soon as possible.

Adanvo
12-17-2009, 03:58 PM
I now worked on the first little things:
- played a bit with colors and color-overlays
- added some details
- added some space at the left and right map side
- builded a frame around for more details later
- tried a new font

Waht do you think about the new things: keep them or go back? or maybe do it another way? ;)

Thank you for your help so far!

Adanvo
12-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Hi there,

i´m back after a long while...and i tried another version of the Eloviath (formerly untitled) Map.
So i´m looking forward to your suggestions.

Aenigma
12-17-2010, 02:08 AM
Reminds me of Azeroth (World Of Warcraft).

VincentAlliath
12-20-2010, 03:53 PM
1. This:

Reminds me of Azeroth (World Of Warcraft).
2. Your western continent/s look fine, but the eastern one is just a big blob that's missing a chunk. It doesn't look right. Continents don't come in that shape.
3. You don't get big stretches of mountain the way your have on the western continent. It just doesn't happen.
4. Your rivers are very visibly a different colour to the ocean/lakes. Also, they should be below the terrain features, not above them. Rivers don't float.
5. What is the deal with that "Nebellander" area? It's sparkly and white and the sparkles cover the mountains a bit.
6. Your forests (dark green ones) don't make sense. Coniferous and deciduous trees don't mix.

Sorry if I seem a bit harsh there. 'nuff said.

jtougas
12-20-2010, 04:32 PM
I can see what your going for and the map has a very nice look to it. I especially like your forests :)

jfrazierjr
12-20-2010, 05:47 PM
16. Your forests (dark green ones) don't make sense. Coniferous and deciduous trees don't mix.

As someone whose stepfather was a logger and who has spent many months working on a logging crew, I would decidedly disagree with this statement. In fact, both types of trees CAN in fact exist within the same forest. The further north/south you go from the equator(assuming an earth like world), the conifers tend to take over. Likewise, conifers tend to dominate at higher altitudes.

Slylok
12-20-2010, 09:08 PM
i think it looks good. I like how your coastlines look.

3. You don't get big stretches of mountain the way your have on the western continent. It just doesn't happen.

This map doesn't represent earth and it is much smaller so I dont see any reason why there can't be a long stretch of mountains? The appalachian mountains range from Newfoundland all the way to Alabama in a pretty straight line. over 1600 miles.

VincentAlliath
12-21-2010, 01:22 AM
As someone whose stepfather was a logger and who has spent many months working on a logging crew, I would decidedly disagree with this statement. In fact, both types of trees CAN in fact exist within the same forest. The further north/south you go from the equator(assuming an earth like world), the conifers tend to take over. Likewise, conifers tend to dominate at higher altitudes.
I said mix, not co-exist. They can co-exist, sure. But there's just one conifer every few trees on the map. It doesn't make sense.

In reply to the mountains, well, I withdraw my statement. I'm still weirded out by it, but *Shrug*

Adanvo
12-25-2010, 03:52 PM
I think the "problem" is that this represents a fantasy world (d&d setting) which has its specials.
The "tree-problem" is not really big because the trees are only "icons whisch stand for "woods" in common,
they should not represent a tree for every tree at the map.
The "Nebelländer" is an area which is covered by fog (part of the setting-story)
So it is not my intention to show a geological correct map. However, i thank all of you for your comments so far!
(I hope you can understand my crapy english ;-))