PDA

View Full Version : New map of the Valley (Campaign Cartographer 3)

Gandwarf
10-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Some years ago I did a map of the Valley, the fantasy world I am creating:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2977

Recently I wanted to do some regional maps and I started mapping the area around Verena:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6605

I wasn't able to stop unfortunately and in the end I created a new map of my world (I guess it's a regional map on a worldmap scale ;) ). I forgot to post it up in the Finished Maps section, so here it is.

The Valley is a large, fertile area that is home to a few million people. This valley is enclosed by mountains and eternal snow plains.

Gregorus Prime
10-04-2009, 06:37 PM
I've always hated Campaign Cartographer but you do some beautiful work with it. Kudos.

Gandwarf
10-04-2009, 06:42 PM
I've always hated Campaign Cartographer but you do some beautiful work with it. Kudos.

Thanks.
I can understand the dislike, CC3 doesn't have an intuitive interface and the maps made with it often look alike. Still, if you master the software you can make some pretty sweet looking stuff.

Not saying I mastered it yet, but I am certainly making the software work for me :)

Immolate
10-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Gandwarf... you just demonstrated the cartographical equivalent of shaving with a light saber. This piece is a testament to your endurance and your loyalty. ProFantasy doesn't deserve your love.

Ramah
10-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Gandwarf... you just demonstrated the cartographical equivalent of shaving with a light saber. This piece is a testament to your endurance and your loyalty. ProFantasy doesn't deserve your love.

LOL @ this! :D

It's a wonderful map Gandwarf. I liked the original one you did but this updated version is just wow. So much to see in it, it just boggles the mind.

Gandwarf
10-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Gandwarf... you just demonstrated the cartographical equivalent of shaving with a light saber.

LOL indeed.

ProFantasy doesn't deserve your love.

Well, their software is the only way I can create a decent map. My handdrawn maps kinda suck and my skill in graphics software like Photoshop or Paint Shop is just not good enough. I wouldn't know how or where to start (expect maybe follow the tutorials here, but I never can push myself to follow a tutorial, because I get easily confused and it starts to resemble work and I hate work :D ).

Gidde
10-04-2009, 07:29 PM
I despaired of creating a pretty map with CC a long time before I found this forum ... yet you manage to do so consistently. Hats off :)

mearrin69
10-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Wow. Nice looking map but even better is its cool-factor. I want it in my campaign world. :)

And, yeah, I've never used CC3 but Fractal Mapper gives me the shudders...never could get anything decent out of it...so I'm very impressed that you can get a similar program to jump through such hoops.
M

Karro
10-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Wow, that map is HUGE. Very cool looking. As others have said, your ability to do some very nice things in CC is really a testament to you and your skill. This is a very cool looking world, and got to say I like it alot.

DungeonMasterGaz
10-07-2009, 08:43 PM
I liked the first draft of this map that you posted, Gandwarf, and this one is even better. I absolutely love how you've used the symbols. The ravens over Ravenburcht, the ruins of Oud Kaag, the horses and sheep, and the way you group symbols to make the towns and villages just gives every one of them its own unique character and layout. As for the cities! Well, they're just minature versions of your outstanding city maps, but should I expect less from the master!

The most inventive use of core CC3 symbols I've ever seen. 800 XP and The Tome of the Northern Winds +3.

DMG

Gandwarf
10-08-2009, 06:04 AM
Thanks everyone!
I am almost sad I can't work on this map anymore :)

Steel General
10-08-2009, 08:24 AM
I am almost sad I can't work on this map anymore :)

But maps like home repairs/renovations are never truly done, it's all a matter of whether you want to keep 'tinkering' :D

coffeefery
01-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Wow! This is an amazing map! I assume you put in a lot of thought in creating this map. It reminds me a lot of Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, except yours is much bigger. Looking at your map triggers lots of tabletop gaming potential. Repping this definitely!

Coyotemax
02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Can't believe I didn't comment on this map before - wow nice!
I just spent almost a full 30 minutes just scrolling through and looking at things even though i know I need to run errands and work on time sensitive projects :)

(edit - at least I did rep you for it at the time you posted, jsut can't understand why I didn't leave a comment)

Jaxilon
02-02-2010, 01:50 PM
It's got SHEEP - it ROCKS!!

Seriously, the sheep made me smile but this looks like a huge labor of love. I could totally use this for a game world.

arsheesh
02-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Wow! Like others who've already commented on your map Gandwarf, I myself never much cared for CC. I was aware of the software long before I discovered the guild, but it never captivated my interest until now. Your map is the first I've seen that has given me cause to think twice about my earlier evaluation of the software (though in all fairness to other CC users of the guild I haven't spent allot of time really delving into other work done here using CC). The amount of detail is also impressive, and the overall "compositional" layout is fantastic. Great job, and here's some Rep.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh

Gandwarf
02-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys. I am still rather proud of this map and I can't wait to hang it on the wall in my new house :)

And the sheep were just something that seemed to fit in. I know it's a bit silly :)
Devinknight didn't post his symbols yet when I made this map, otherwise I might have used a lot of those.

NeonKnight
02-03-2010, 12:45 AM
A good use of the Default style. From one Master to Another...Kudos!

Sharpe
02-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Being a newbie here, I'm surprised to learn that CC is so hated!

Love the map, Gandwarf! Also, it's very imaginative, an "oasis" in an endless arctic. Awesome!

Steel General
02-03-2010, 09:39 AM
I don't think that CC is hated - it's just not as preferred as other software.

Midgardsormr
02-03-2010, 03:45 PM
It has a number of very loyal users, a few more who use it as a tool for specific tasks (like me), a handful who detest it, and an awful lot of people who just don't care one way or the other about it.

I missed this map first time around, Gandwarf. Very impressive!

Diaboli
02-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Amazing map. Makes me rethink picking up and using CC3 for my mapping. Your map has inspired me break out the mapping tools and rebuild the maps I lost with a computer crash a few years ago.

Davros01
02-17-2010, 04:59 PM
very nice map. whats with all the hate for CC3. I like CC3!

Gandwarf
02-17-2010, 05:51 PM
CC3 maps tend to look pretty generic and the user interface is kinda awkward. That explains most of the discontent I think...

Ascension
02-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Think about a CC3 map's icons and then if they decided to pay Ramah for his. Now those would be some sweet looking maps that everyone could make.

Raiderman
04-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Excellent map!