PDA

View Full Version : Canthar

DungeonMasterGaz
10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi everyone.

Here's my finished world map of Canthar, my 4e D&D campaign setting.

Also, Since I started the WIP thread for this map I've been working on a regional map of the Heroic tier campaign area, using and expanding on the techniques I used for the world map. This map is actually part of a full-sized map of Ithlond that I'm creating, and the image lost a bit of its crispness when I exported it to a jpg, but is otherwise okay (I think). So, I though I might as well post both for you.

Both maps were created using CC3.

Hope you all enjoy them.

DMG

Gidde
10-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Very nicely done! I'd have never guessed these were done in CC, way to push the limits of the software :)

I love the style and the setting is intriguing.

Karro
10-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Indeed, this looks like Photoshop quality, so for you to say this was done in CC3 is certainly a surprise. Great looking maps!

My only critique: based on the sepia-toned map, it looks like continents are floating in the sky/void. The close-up map, though, suggests the continent sits in a standard ocean. It might be tricky, but can you do something with the ocean layer or what-have-you to differentiate the appearance there from that of the lakes (which I assume are actually water)?

Gandwarf
10-05-2009, 12:08 PM
I agree with the others. Great work, wouldn't have guessed this was done in CC3.

Steel General
10-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Nice work DMG!

Ramah
10-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Really nice maps. I was stunned when you said they were done in CC, I really wouldn't have been able to tell. Nicely done. :)

DungeonMasterGaz
10-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Thanks for all your kind comments, guys. I'm glad you're enjoying these maps.

Good observation, Karro. The continents do float in the sky, and you're spot on with your comments. I intend to do exactly what you're suggesting when I complete the whole continental map of Ithlond, but at the same time don't want to reveal to my players that they're actually on a floating continent until they reach paragon level. That's the reason I haven't done it yet, simply to hide character knowledge from player knowledge.

DMG

Immolate
10-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I agree that you have achieved Gandwarfian levels of making CC3 sit up and beg. Like a rocket-powered wheelchair.

Karro
10-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks for all your kind comments, guys. I'm glad you're enjoying these maps.

Good observation, Karro. The continents do float in the sky, and you're spot on with your comments. I intend to do exactly what you're suggesting when I complete the whole continental map of Ithlond, but at the same time don't want to reveal to my players that they're actually on a floating continent until they reach paragon level. That's the reason I haven't done it yet, simply to hide character knowledge from player knowledge.

DMG

Ahh, well that's certainly a valid explanation for that discrepancy. That's cool.

zenram
10-06-2009, 10:21 PM
I have to put my hands over a tutorial for this style.... What's your price XD

DungeonMasterGaz
10-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks again for everyone's encouraging replies. All along I've been trying to do something different with CC3, and looks like I did.

Zenram, I made the regional map just by creating some draw tools inspired by issue 24 of the Cartographer's Annual: Shaded Reliefs. The rest is just sheet effects, really. Send me a PM and I'd be happy to share the techniques with you. I've never written a tutorial for anything. I tend to over-explain things, lol, but if there are a few CC3 users who would be interested in a tutorial for this style, Just let me know and I'll see what I can put together.

Thanks.

DMG

msa
10-07-2009, 09:17 PM
I *really* like the world map. One one hand, it feels very busy and vibrant, I think due to the font choice and the multiple maps. On the other, it keeps its high-level overview feel of a nice world map.

I like the regional map slightly less, although I do think its very good. There are really only two things I didn't like. I'm not a huge fan of the heavy variance in width on the rivers--it just rubs me wrong. I also think that the valleys between the ridges is a little blank, and some texture might be nice there. That said, think the way you laid out the mountain ridges is really top notch, and the forest texture is really good as well.

DungeonMasterGaz
10-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks, msa. Nice ctiticism, and I agree on both counts. The rivers felt awkward to me too, and I haven't figured out how to extend the mountain textures into the valleys yet. However, the regional map is just a crop of the full map of Ithlond I'm still making, and I'll be experimenting with some other techniques as I finish off the rest of it. Hopefuly I'll stumble across a good effect.

DMG