PDA

View Full Version : Fellwick - WiP

StarRaven
10-07-2009, 03:10 AM
This is pretty much my first attempt at making a town map. I've just got some stuff laid out right now.

I drew the coastline in Photoshop along with the graph paper lines, and printed it to draw on by hand so I could work on it while I wasn't at my computer. When I got home, I scanned it and traced it, and now I'm procrastinating because I don't know how to draw the farms, but I'm sure I'll get over it. :roll:

Once I figure that out, I'll start with the colors.

Edit: Er... oops. That mess in the upper-left corner was me experimenting with ways to make trees. I'll go delete that. Hehe....

Coyotemax
10-07-2009, 04:33 AM
that's actually a neat way of doing it. now that my scanner is working, i may give that method a try..

Gandwarf
10-07-2009, 05:42 AM
Great start, can't wait to see some more progress!

Steel General
10-07-2009, 08:16 AM

Ditto that...

Immolate
10-07-2009, 08:21 AM
I like your boldness in pioneering a unique style. It's not there yet, but obviously you're developing the technique. I'm interested.

Gidde
10-07-2009, 09:02 AM
I really like the trees that ended up in the actual map. This is looking great so far :)

Katto
10-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Very nice layout so far. I will watch the thread to see the progress.

StarRaven
10-08-2009, 04:06 AM
I've started working on color, building placement, and the like.

I'm not sure about the wonky paper texture. It's just sort of there because I didn't like how smooth everything looked without it. (Though, I liked the water better without it so I masked that....) I'll probably replace it later, but with what I'm not sure.

Hummmm... I was going to say more but I forgot. :x

Oh, right. I should distinguish elevations at some point, heh. I'm not sure if I want to do it with shading or what. I still don't know how to draw farms. Haha.

I'm working on the walls now. Hmm....

StarRaven
10-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Right! I know what I forgot. Thanks everybody, for your interest. :)

that's actually a neat way of doing it. now that my scanner is working, i may give that method a try..
Thanks! There are just some things that I do better by hand. A tablet can't mimic the texture of a pencil on paper, so it's just not the same....

and

Ditto that...
Thank you both! :D

I like your boldness in pioneering a unique style. It's not there yet, but obviously you're developing the technique. I'm interested.
Unique style?:?:

I really like the trees that ended up in the actual map. This is looking great so far :)
Thanks! I hope they look okay once I texture them and whatnot....

Very nice layout so far. I will watch the thread to see the progress.
Thank you!

Gidde
10-09-2009, 08:25 AM
A tablet can't mimic the texture of a pencil on paper, so it's just not the same....

And thank goodness for that, lol ... anything I do on actual paper looks like a 5-year old drew it ;)

This is looking really cool, keep it coming :)

Gandwarf
10-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Looks great so far. We need more progress ;)

StarRaven
10-10-2009, 03:37 AM
I still haven't done much with the landscape. I experimented a bit with some elevation (only three levels of it.) I'm not sure if I like it yet, but I'm going to see where this idea takes me. I'm pretty happy with the trees, though! :3

I like the varying roof colors for the most part, but I'm still not sure I'm satisfied with them. They need some texture, but I'm not sure how I'll do that, since all the buildings are facing different angles.

I'm not sure how I'm going to texture the walls and other stone stuff, for partly the same reason. Also because I'm just not sure how some of this stuff should look from above, hehe!

I'm still trying to figure out how to draw farms... if you can think of any good examples, I would love to see them! Thanks!!

Gidde
10-10-2009, 10:56 AM
One way to add a quick bit of texture would be to add a noise overlay layer at low opacity and mask it to only show up on the roofs. Not sure how to accomplish that in Photoshop though. In Gimp it'd be HSV noise.

Looking great!

Ascension
10-10-2009, 01:37 PM
I have a thatching brush that you can use, it also resembles wood slats here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2639). Look at post #3 and I show you the steps for making your own.

StarRaven
10-10-2009, 05:22 PM
One way to add a quick bit of texture would be to add a noise overlay layer at low opacity and mask it to only show up on the roofs. Not sure how to accomplish that in Photoshop though. In Gimp it'd be HSV noise.

Looking great!
Thanks! Not quite what I'm looking for for the houses, I think, but it does give me some ideas! Thanks a lot!

I have a thatching brush that you can use, it also resembles wood slats here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2639). Look at post #3 and I show you the steps for making your own.
Very interesting! I tried it and it's working fine. That helps with quite a few things.

StarRaven
10-11-2009, 12:52 AM
I added more buildings, gave the houses some texture, and added a few other things. I experimented with some sandy beaches and rocks. I think they turned out okay, but I don't think the beaches blend well into the grass.

Still not sure what to do with those walls and whatnot.

Kehehe I also decided to see what it looked like with no stroke lines on the various layers. I think I like it better with.:)

Ascension
10-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Depending on how cluttered this gets the stroked one might be best as it defines the spaces better. If that empty space is for farms then I guess it won't get too cluttered and therefore the non-stroked painted version might be best...but you'll need to make your houses a tad lighter so that they don't blend into the shadows.

Steel General
10-11-2009, 09:36 AM
I like either version, but Ascension has a good point.

I think your beaches need just a bit more blending (but not much), maybe a little Gaussian Blur might help. You might also want to do something with the transition of the rock mounts in the water.

Gidde
10-11-2009, 12:02 PM
I agree with SG on the rockmounts ... some breaking surf around them might look cool.

I like the stroked version better, but both are looking good.

StarRaven
10-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Depending on how cluttered this gets the stroked one might be best as it defines the spaces better. If that empty space is for farms then I guess it won't get too cluttered and therefore the non-stroked painted version might be best...but you'll need to make your houses a tad lighter so that they don't blend into the shadows.

I did notice that they were getting a little dark. Hopefully this is a bit better. I did hope to put some farms in that empty space, yes. The town, though, is pretty close to finished, other than another couple of houses over on the eastern side.

I like either version, but Ascension has a good point.

I think your beaches need just a bit more blending (but not much), maybe a little Gaussian Blur might help. You might also want to do something with the transition of the rock mounts in the water.

After some consideration, I decided to blur the beaches. I think it came out pretty good! For the rocks, I removed the stroke and made them a little darker at the edges and played with a dissolved outer glow.

I agree with SG on the rockmounts ... some breaking surf around them might look cool.

I like the stroked version better, but both are looking good.

I liked parts of the stroked version, and parts of the unstroked version, so I combined the two. I'm not sure what I think of it yet.

There's quite a bit still that needs a bit of blur at the edges if I'm going to keep it at 100% size. I'm thinking I like it more along the lines of 75% or so, though, like the second picture here.

Gidde
10-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Looking good. Also, I didn't mention it before but should have ... the texture on those rocks is fantastic.

StarRaven
11-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Ugh! My computer crashed and I lost all the work I had on this. It's gonna take me a while to redraw it and whatnot, but I'm glad everything's here for me to look at! Haha.

Ah, well, sometimes reworking it from the beginning can be the best thing! I'll see how it goes.

Ascension
11-07-2009, 10:13 PM
It'll at least give you a chance to play around and experiment some more :) Me loves playing around and experimenting like that. I'm such a geek that way.

The-Somberlain
11-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Very nice map...the aesthetics are great, but I think it is all in too much order! You know, a medieval/fantasy town should be a bit more "funky" in terms of shape, building size, etc...On the other hand you might have a very solid background for this orderly town so don't listen to me!

On thing that bothers me though is the scale...I think the biggest problem is the towers compared to the manors or the buildings. I think knowing your scale beforehand will help you put things in perspective.

So, good luck with your re-work...Overall I like your mapping style!

StarRaven
11-09-2009, 01:49 AM
It'll at least give you a chance to play around and experiment some more :) Me loves playing around and experimenting like that. I'm such a geek that way.

Me too! The only problem I'm having is that I can't remember how I did the forests, exactly. :/ I'll figure it out, I hope!

Very nice map...the aesthetics are great, but I think it is all in too much order! You know, a medieval/fantasy town should be a bit more "funky" in terms of shape, building size, etc...On the other hand you might have a very solid background for this orderly town so don't listen to me!

On thing that bothers me though is the scale...I think the biggest problem is the towers compared to the manors or the buildings. I think knowing your scale beforehand will help you put things in perspective.

So, good luck with your re-work...Overall I like your mapping style!

There is actually a reason why the town looks very planned and in order! :)

The castle there was originally a fort on the border of two countries, years and years after the countries were both conquered by the empire, a town started being built there. As there wasn't much in the way of threats to the town's safety, no walls were built, though there were one or two guard towers there.

When the town was leveled by a horde of monsters (Fellwick happened to be in between two larger cities housing rival wizards... apparently there were some ancient grudges that escalated to violence), it was put back together around the landmarks that survived with the help of the town's resident mages and a wall was erected around the entire city.

...There's a bit more, but I'll leave it at that for now! Hehe! As for the size of some of the manors and whatnot, at least one of them is obscenely big - it was built a few generations after the disaster by one of the lords of Fellwick and was added onto by several of his successors. The other two obscenely big buildings are a temple and a monastery. A few of the other large buildings are inns. Despite its rather shaky beginnings, Fellwick has been very prosperous, mostly because it's a stop for many travelers along the road from one part of the empire to the other, so two of its largest buildings are inns located at the entrances (or exits, depending on where you're coming from) of the town.

Haha... anyway, that's all I've got. I'm sure some of the scale is still wrong, but I wanted the bigger, more important buildings, to be more visible. As for the towers and the walls, well... I'm not sure how the heck to do those, yet.... What was on here was mostly placeholder. D:

Thanks for the compliment and the good luck! :)

StarRaven
11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
I've made some progress! Honestly, I'm glad. It looks much better than it did before.

I have some buildings I need to draw in, and then I need to decide where exactly to crop this thing, then I need to redownload some fonts before I can start labeling things!

I don't think I like the water, though. I'll probably replace it before I finish this.

modernhamlet
11-09-2009, 11:36 PM
That's a really elegant town. I feel like the people that live there would be genuinely interesting to meet.

Ascension
11-10-2009, 12:18 AM
That is something sweet. Almost cartoon but not. Almost sat-style but not. That green was a great choice, I wanna try that. The ocean repeats but you only notice it in the thumb, at full scale you have to look hard for it.

RobA
11-10-2009, 10:09 PM
That is just lovely!

-Rob A>

mrrkyl
11-11-2009, 05:35 AM
Great layout and trees!

Steel General
11-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Coming along quite nicely.

StarRaven
11-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all the compliments!:)

What's sat-style?:?:

I think I'm getting pretty close to done now, but I still don't like the water and I'm not sure about that... that... giant space with nothing but a label in it up at the top left....

Ascension
11-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Sat-style = satellite style...too long to type and I misspell it 50% of the time. I'd put some fields and huts out there in the empty space.

StarRaven
11-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Sat-style = satellite style...too long to type and I misspell it 50% of the time. I'd put some fields and huts out there in the empty space.

Ah! I see. Thanks. :D

Fields and huts... :idea: Thanks!!

Tom_Cardin
11-12-2009, 04:33 PM
I love how you did the forests, plain and city walls, but I can't read the font you are using for labelling very well. The character spacing is just a bit too tight and narrow for me.

Thumbs up everywhere else, cities are hard to tackle.

Xyll
11-12-2009, 05:48 PM
It looks great and a lot like some of the Paizo style maps.

StarRaven
11-12-2009, 07:35 PM
I love how you did the forests, plain and city walls, but I can't read the font you are using for labelling very well. The character spacing is just a bit too tight and narrow for me.

Thumbs up everywhere else, cities are hard to tackle.
I really like the font and I think it fits well with the feel of the town... I increased the space between the letters and made them just a bit wider. Does that make it easier to read?:)

It looks great and a lot like some of the Paizo style maps.
Thanks! :) What's Paizo?:?:

StarRaven
11-13-2009, 12:47 AM
...I think... I THINK... I might be done. I've been at this all night, and I think I've finally got everything the way I want it. This incessant tweaking is the stuff of insanity. I'm not going to touch it again until tomorrow!

ZleapingBear
11-13-2009, 04:42 AM
I reay like it. especiealy your farm lands :)

I also like the fackt that it has all the adventures "just rigth the next cornor" Pirate santurary, abandoned monastary, slums, and a mystic tower in the woods. :D

Coyotemax
11-13-2009, 04:48 AM
That is nice!!!
And inspiring...

The-Somberlain
11-17-2009, 08:23 AM
I'd like to venture against those pirates! Or would I like to plunder Fellwick as pirate? Overall a very inspiring RPG map!

philipstephen
11-17-2009, 01:25 PM
This is one of my favourite maps in progress at the moment!

My only suggestion is to put some of those fence posts around the lord's manor. They might want some more privacy or separation from the common folk who live across the street from them.

great map!

phil

StarRaven
11-18-2009, 02:04 AM
I'm glad you all have found it inspiring!! :D

This is one of my favourite maps in progress at the moment!

My only suggestion is to put some of those fence posts around the lord's manor. They might want some more privacy or separation from the common folk who live across the street from them.

great map!

phil

Ahh, you have a point there! It's on a hill, so I didn't really think about it, but you're right, the Lord's manor definitely needs a fence.

StarRaven
11-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Took a suggestion and added a fence around the lord's manor. I always meant to do something with that space, but I guess I forgot somewhere along the way! Anyway, thanks for the suggestion! I think it helped a lot! :)

StarRaven
11-28-2009, 02:29 AM
Well, I think maybe I'm finally done. I can't think of anything else to add! I'd still love to hear any suggestions for this, but I think unless I come across something major, I'm gonna have to give work on this one a rest. If I know myself half as well as I think I do, I'm sure I'll look at it in ten minutes and find something.... :roll: But... yeah, done for now I think.

I'm not terribly sure about the textures I used in the printer-friendly version, but it's probably something I'll use for the purpose of keeping track of things (I just work so much better on paper!) so I think it's okay if it just gets the point across, rather than looking particularly beautiful. I left it unlabeled so I can mark on it all I need to.

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions and encouragement everyone has given me! :D

Ascension
11-28-2009, 02:42 AM
I wouldn't change a thing...but then I could never get this nice of a look to begin with :) Wait a day or two then post it up in the Finished Maps section so that I can snag a dl for myself ;)