PDA

View Full Version : My first map ever

Nian
10-11-2009, 05:22 AM
Yestarday I decited to try one of the tutorials I found here. I'm not very good with photoshop and this map was my first try ever. I hope it doen't look that bad.

Btw. I hope this is the right section I'm posting in ^^;; feel free to move it if it's not. Yea I know my english isn't very good. =/

Edit. Of course feel free to critique it and say what should I change =P I got lost with the tutorial preety fast and had to improvize a lot so there are a lot of problems propably. And hello everyone ^^

Ghostman
10-11-2009, 05:46 AM
Welcome to the Guild Nian! That is an amazingly good map for a first try. The rivers are a bit hard to spot against the darker green terrain though, and there is a slight impression of the land floating over the sea. Try painting the rivers with the same light-blue color that lines the coasts; then they might be easier to see and they'll be connecting with the seas in a more natural manner.

Nian
10-11-2009, 05:50 AM
Thank you for reply. I will change the rivers. Btw. I have 1 question. Anybody know how can I make some forests on this map? Or shouldn't I bother with it. A link to some nice tutorial is welcome =]

Gandwarf
10-11-2009, 06:25 AM
Nice job Nian. I agree with Ghostman's comment about the rivers and floating land. Otherwise you nailed it pretty well!

Ascension
10-11-2009, 09:13 AM
At this scale forests are not that easily seen so I wouldn't bother with them. For your first attempt I think you did a really good job.

Steel General
10-11-2009, 09:47 AM
I think you did a pretty good job of following along with the tutorial. It'll probably take a couple of run-throughs to get all the techniques down. But once you do, you'll be mapping like a pro. :)

Nian
10-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Ok I finished this map. I didn't bother to make up names so I simply copy-pasted most of them from FF XI maps or random name generator. I had lots of fun doing this map and can't wait to make another.
btw. Don't bother thinkin about the scale I have no idea what scale could be apropriate for this. =P

Sapiento
10-22-2009, 05:17 AM
Looks very good now.

In a few places, however, the labels overlap with the symbols slightly or are very close to each other.