PDA

View Full Version : Guildmasters - Help with terrain

megrim
10-12-2009, 01:44 AM
Hello there its been a while guys my old project (earen) is being finished by some friends (they insisted so i hand them the setting) i am now working on a new setting and trying a different style for the map.... first i drew it by hand and then in photoshop... everything is well except i really do not know what type of mountains or forests to use that would match the style of the map... i tried my old mountains and forests and they do not look pretty. The dark brown area is a barren wasteland while the more light brownish one is a desert... the green areas are just grasslands and of course the white areas is ice... what style of mountains and forests would best suit this map?:shock:

Gidde
10-12-2009, 09:08 AM
With the textured paper look you have there, I think a hand-drawn style would look best. There are bunches of brushes and tutorials in the Mapping Resources section of the forums if hand-drawing them is intimidating (like it would be for me ;) ).

Ascension
10-12-2009, 05:44 PM
I'll second that but point you to the Elements section for brushes or Reference section for ideas.

Tom_Cardin
10-12-2009, 06:23 PM
hmmm I have the feeling I am looking at a aged stone wall with this map painted on it. I would keep that stone look moving forward but it could go either graphic or illustrative for the details...Me I preferr a painted, graphical look to maps but thats what I preferr to make, I find things to appreciate in either style though and I think either way would work for this.

megrim
10-17-2009, 06:04 AM
Thank you all for your replies.... ive decided to go with a more hand drawn map rather than "carved in stone" map... heres a small sample of the mountains :P

Nexis
10-17-2009, 10:46 PM
I like the idea of stone. It looks like something found on a Roman Villa or Government building.

xequar
10-20-2009, 10:34 PM
I love the shapes of your landmasses! I'm seeing something aged on an old canvas... Something painted, but flexible, like maybe it once hung in the war room of some long-forgotten kingdom or in the classroom of what was once a great university... I'm thinking the mountains and forests might be something in that same vein, painted representations, as opposed to drawn mountain symbols or individual trees...

That's just me, though.