PDA

View Full Version : October 2009 Entry - Docklands

gilgamec
10-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Curses! After spending far too much time on last month's entry (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7029), you have to come up with another good theme! *sigh* I had to make this one something that I can bang out in a weekend. Fortunately, with a long weekend, I can get most of it done.

It's another procedurally generated map; this time, a commercial harbour, with docks and soundings. In order to get it done quickly, I've reused the same workflow as I've used in previous Challenges (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5654): create a quick sketch of the coastline (smaller dots indicate shoals)
then add a little fractal noise to get a height (and depth) map. I can then modify the coast (add channels and seawalls) with another sketch
which changes the height map. The points for soundings are created by a Poisson process on the water area, then the depths just read off the height map. The contours are calculated from the original depth map; I tried using the soundings to recalculate them, but the result was only slightly better, and much harder to control.

The map still needs a lot of notation (labels, lanes, buoy markers, cartouche, compass rose, etc.), but the land and sea are pretty much what I want.

### Latest WIP ###

Roger
10-14-2009, 11:14 PM
Low tide is going to make some people very unhappy, I see. I like it.

Cheers,
Roger

gilgamec
10-15-2009, 12:45 AM
I took advantage of a slow day to progress a little more. I'm not certain what to do with the labels; in some places the label background looks OK, but in others it's pretty hideous. I'm fairly happy with the rest of it, though.

### Latest WIP ###

Juggernaut1981
10-15-2009, 06:22 PM
I kind of dislike the "partially transparent" background, especially for the text that crosses objects. I'd have been inclined to make them fully opaque backgrounds.

gilgamec
10-15-2009, 09:00 PM
I kind of dislike the "partially transparent" background, especially for the text that crosses objects. I'd have been inclined to make them fully opaque backgrounds.
This is a really good idea, but it falls down for the long thin warehouses that are in the middle of the docks; those are completely covered up by their labels (and look really silly to boot):
I'm loath to shrink the font any more, but it may be the only way.

ravells
10-16-2009, 03:51 AM
Really nice clean feel to the map. I think this is a first for depth soundings too.

gilgamec
10-17-2009, 01:33 PM
I've made the label backgrounds all opaque. I fixed the silly-looking bits by widening some of the docks, removing some warehouses, and generally being glad this isn't a map of an actual place!
### Latest WIP ###

Really nice clean feel to the map. I think this is a first for depth soundings too.
Thanks! I think (never having tried it myself) that depth soundings are one of those things that are extremely time-consuming to do manually but really easy to do procedurally. (In fact, the contour lines are much more difficult to do, computationally-wise.)

Gandwarf
10-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Looks better and better...