PDA

View Full Version : October Entry - Gromet and Friends vs Caravan Raiders

Coyotemax
10-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Heck with it, the more stuff I have going on, the busier I am, and the more distracted I am from my situation, which is good.

I decided to take a different tack on this one. I'm going to continue with Gromet and Co. from the previous challenge. This time they have been hired to protect trade caravans, and find the bandits themselves and deal with them. Only this time they made their own darn map :) Seeing as Gromet is the mapmaker, I figured I would hand-draw this time.

I'm actually going to include several maps on this one. First map, being posted now, is the regional map showing the general terrain and the caravan route between 2 major towns (working notes are still visible, and there's going to be a mountain chain down the middle-right) - also marked will be raiding party encounters.

I'll have at least 2 more maps, one of the mountainous region where they encounter the bandits for the first time, and another for the bandit camp itself while they plan out their approach.

This is fun, I haven't done a hand-drawn map for.. almost 25 years. Woah.

Gamerprinter
10-12-2009, 10:55 PM
I wondering if my "Not a Challenge Map" is influencing you at all, in going the hand-drawn route - I think its a great tack and am glad you are trying it, just wondering is all???

GP

Coyotemax
10-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Actually no, I was planning this almost from the moment I heard we were doing a Trade theme. I just held off on doing anything becsause I have a few other projects (some of them paid) on the go right now.

Ever since I started work on the Transylvania map, I've been wanting to try my hand at a hand-drawn version of one of these.

Coyotemax
10-13-2009, 12:00 AM
These mountains should look familiar to anyone who's seen the last few maps I've done :) Farms, a few more forests, and I'm ready to start laying in the groundwork for the other maps! yay!

[edit] Farms added, decided on no forests to the east of the mountains, it's all grassland - i *think* that comes across wih the symbols. Plus the Octoclops makes a reappearance!!

Reuploading since there's not *that* many new features.

### Latest WIP ###

Gandwarf
10-13-2009, 05:58 AM
The village of Ramah? :)

Steel General
10-13-2009, 06:50 AM
Wish I had a few extra bucks to get a scanner I might try me a hand drawn map myself. Looking like a fun little 'project'.

Plus the Octoclops makes a reappearance!!

Hooray!!!

Gidde
10-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Hmm, I thought the grassland symbols were swamp symbols until I reread your post.

Other than that, this looks great!

I was a bit surprised that it was Gromet who got tapped to do the mapmaking, although I suppose he showed his talent to the group with his dancing girl ;)

Coyotemax
10-13-2009, 12:29 PM
I was trying to come up with something to represent the grasslands.. either I'll leave it the way it is and mark it prairie, or maybe call that region swamp (it doesn't play into the other maps anyhow, so no worries there).

I also had it pointed out to me that the names appear elsewhere. Apparently Harn is the name of somewhere (and has an rpg named after it) and I realize now that Ramah is a username off the forum.. whee! I was just making things up as I went. I suppose there might have been something subconscious going on, but heck with it, the names stay as they are!

I have the first encounter map finished (mostly) but not scanned yet. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do one of the mountain pass or not, or just go straight to the bandit camp from here. I figure a half decent tracker should be able to follow them back home.

The other thing I'm trying to figure out is how to add everyone's comments along with the map. I'm likely going to break down at some point and start working things over in photoshop, especially for font work. I'm not that great at emulating other styles of handwriting - especially neat ones, lol

I'm definitely considering working it over for textures (parchment, etc) if nothing else.

Juggernaut1981
10-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Nice to have you as competition Coyote... and any Idea theft that may have happened was purely trans-global psychic powers...

Immolate
10-13-2009, 07:39 PM
CoyoteMax has moved to the loftiest regions of my "steal-from" list.

Coyotemax
10-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Heheh

Well, I'll take it as a compliment that people are starting to take my ideas and run with them. If I've inspired someone, that makes me happy :)

Well, I got tired of drawing and put some work into the parchment textures. The one for the regional map will stay more or less as is, perhaps a bit more aging and a close encounter with the mudflats at the river ford :)

Speaking of river ford, that's the first encounter map. It's still not done, I ended up running errands and taking a break from drawing this one out today and worked on other projects. I resized the regional map a bit to give some room around the edges for comments, I might do something similar with the smaller maps, but less likely - I'll be using those more like insets (hrm, now that's an idea...). So consider the parchment texture on the encounter map as being a temporary thing :)

### Latest WIP ###

Gamerprinter
10-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Gidde is right, the symbol you used for grass is traditionally used to describe swamp terrain, however, I've seen grassland symbols that look like what I posted below. Just an idea for symbol replacement! :P

GP

Coyotemax
10-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Ah, maybe that's what i was trying to do.. I seem to recall the swamp one having a flat line across the bottom so I avoided that.

Ok! Ramah is now officially in swamp country :)

Roger
10-15-2009, 12:13 AM
I like the style, particularly the lettering.

Cheers,
Roger

ravells
10-16-2009, 04:54 AM
Gorgeous mountains!

Coyotemax
10-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Well, i decided to work on the main map for additional inspiration before I do the bandit camp.

As if Gromet wasn't cool enough already, he's developed a bit of a sarcastic streak :) I think he's been influenced by Alwen more than he's willing to admit... (Incidentally, Alwen seems to have mellowed out a bit since the last map)

### Latest WIP ###

Gandwarf
10-17-2009, 06:06 AM
Very funny... I should start hanging out with Gromet more often.

Steel General
10-17-2009, 10:14 AM
Gromet may have a career doing celebrity roasts after he's done adventuring. :D

Sapiento
10-19-2009, 02:06 AM
I like the fighting guys! :)

Coyotemax
10-19-2009, 03:08 AM
I'm seriously considering calling this done.

I was thinking about grunging it up a bit, but I got some feedback along those lines, and I agree - it's fine the way it is, there's enough going on I don't want to distract from.

The following map is not for the faint of heart, or those with poor bowel control. And once you see it, you can't unsee it. You have been warned.
:twisted:

### Latest WIP ###

AslanC
10-19-2009, 03:14 AM
AWESOMESAUCE with a side order of tranny Octoclops! ;)

Well done sir.

Ramah
10-19-2009, 04:54 AM
Looking great again. I especially like the little views of the camp and ford you have in there. It's kind of hard for me to take this seriously when there is "silk bound for Ramah" in it. Hehe.

One criticism I would level at it is that you have this completely hand-drawn map which looks like it has been done with pencil crayons on quite a rough paper, but all your dialogue labelling is very uniform in colour and crispness. So are they all using the same fountain pen? Wouldn't Gromet be using a crayon maybe? Personally, I think all the text could do with a slight blur on it (but then I maybe use that too much so don't take my word for that one, hehe). Maybe copy the text layers, and blur the one beneath a little so it doesn't look quite so digital.

Still, a very nice map and I have to admit, you did force a chuckle from my throat when I scrolled down and saw, "It's the Octoclops!" :D

Coyotemax
10-19-2009, 04:57 AM
You're right about the text.

That's been bothering me on and off, and at the time I finished everything else and decided it was done it wasn't bothering me right then.

At one point i was meaning to do exactly what you said, and adjust the transparency a bit so it wasn't quite so stand-outish.

An artist's work is never done!!

Coyotemax
10-19-2009, 05:29 AM
Ok, I reuploaded over the previous version.
Ran the text through the texturizer to break it up a tade and ran a light gaussian blur on it afterwards. Exactly what it needed!

Part of the issue is that most of this is hand-drawn on paper then scanned in, the rest is drawn with the tablet. And the fonts are fonts.

Yay! Thanks for the suggestion.

Ramah
10-19-2009, 05:35 AM
Yeah, that looks a lot better to me. Thumbs up. :)

Immolate
10-19-2009, 08:42 AM
Octoclops lives!

Coyotemax
10-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Ok, the fiddling starts.

I did add some fold lines after all, nothing too drastic, but I think it helps (i don't know any adventuring group that could go through what they do and keep a large map -or even a small one - unfolded the entire time..). I did resist the urge to grunge it up with blood stains, watersplotches, etc.

I also changed the wording around in a few spots, nothing drastic, just helps the storyline along :P

### Latest WIP ###

ffxfiend
10-19-2009, 11:40 PM
I have to say my favorite part (besides the amazing map) are all the little notes and characters filling in the space. The hand drawn look and feel is awesome!

Coyotemax
10-20-2009, 01:57 AM
thanks!! If someone enjoyed the map besides myself, that makes it all worth it!

ravells
10-20-2009, 05:13 AM
Absolutely brilliant!! I love the character humour!

Immolate
10-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Perfect. I believe this map :)

mearrin69
10-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Very nice job. Love the notes and character sketches. Let's see if I can rep you yet (nope...I'll come back around :) ).
M

Coyotemax
10-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Yay thanks :)

btw, Helloooo from Mexicoooooooo!!!

Wouldn't you know it, the first hotel we stay at has wireless internet in range of our room :)