PDA

View Full Version : Terrainmonkey's Map-A-Day thread

terrainmonkey
08-03-2007, 10:17 AM
hey folks--

so every morning before work i've been drawing quick maps that take only about 2 or 3 hours to do, with simple color schemes and text. since i've done my fair share of towns and cities, i'm thinking of taking some time out for dungeons, because you can never have too many of those. should anyone want to use these in a game, feel free, kind of a map of mystery thing. also, if there are any ideas you would like to see, let me know. i'd be happy to try my hand at anything really, since i've jsut gotten the hang of the corel interface. critiques are welcome also. i still have a lot to learn from you pros out there. :) (since i'm hardly one of those....)

today's entry, Feyrot Caverns. should any of you wish some basic ideas about what i had in mind here, let me know. :)

thebax2k
08-04-2007, 12:47 AM
I've admired your maps since I first discovered your map section on Photobucket a few months ago. I find them sharp, clean, and crisp.

Although I suspect it would take more than 2 or 3 hours to create, something in the vein of Temple of Bahamut Defiled would be appreciated. I don't know why, but there's something evocative about maps of ancient vaults that guard dread secrets man was not meant to know....

terrainmonkey
08-04-2007, 03:20 PM
so thanks for the kind words. i sometimes wonder if i will ever be a pro at this whole fantasy map thing. one would think, i've been doing it for over 20 years in my own games. anyway, i appreciate the praise. :) now, on to the second one. taking your request to heart, i decided on an otherworldly type of map, perhaps a crypt built in the blackness of the negative prime or in the shadow dimension. the blue doors are normal, anything can pass through them. the red doors are flames, and a spell with the fire descriptor has to be cast at them to get through. some clerics of this area carry wands of burning hands. the green doors are green slime, and have to have some kind of necromancy spell cast at them to work. usually ray of enfeeblment wands are carried as well, but only for the higher level priests.

anyway, here's the map. only took a couple of hours.

RPMiller
08-04-2007, 03:50 PM
interesting concept. I would have thought the doors would have been laid out in a sort of security/function method. For instance the higher you are in the order the deeper you can go, but first you must be given the "key" to those doors. I guess I need a legend as to what the rooms are. ;)

pyrandon
08-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Just a quick interruption to say I can already tell after only two maps that this thread is going to bring me a lot of pleasure over the coming days, weeks, months, and (hopefully) even years! Thank you, Mr. Terrainmonkey, whoever you are!

ravells
08-05-2007, 07:16 AM
seconded! I love the 2b pencil effect; I really like the font you have used on the first map too.

terrainmonkey
08-05-2007, 10:06 AM
wow. thanks! here's another, just something i've been working on here and there over the past few days. i read a National Geographic article about the Cairns of Sutton Hoo, and was really intrigued. so i did a bit of research, changed a few things and made it more fantasy-esque, and when i was done, this is what i came up with. just the name and the basic idea has been kept. my style on this is more felt pen and doodles than anything else. i wanted it to have sort of a hand drawn look to it and i think it came out okay. anyway, here is the next map.

Publius
08-05-2007, 02:09 PM
I really like the Crypt of the Nocrothian. Very nice. I especially like the background, with the wispy look of smoke. I've been trying hard for just such an effect, without much success I'm afraid. I can get crosshatching, but even that has a very "regular" appearance to it that does not look quite as natural.

terrainmonkey
08-07-2007, 10:36 AM
hey folks--

for the past couple of days, business has interfered with my map design projects so i've had to take a few days off. probably what's going to happen in the next few days is i will be able to scan some sketches in and work on them, so i'm going to be doing probably 4 maps a week for the next few weeks. here's a preview of the ones i'm working on, which include ideas for a short adventure path incorporating all of them.

1. The town of Knight's Bridge
2. The Tinted Tankard Inn
3. The Rebel Caverns
4. The Keep of The Crimson Despot

if anyone wants a little background on these maps, let me know. or feel free to make up your own. probably on thursday i'll have the town and inn maps done and posted. keep an eye out. :)

also, thanks for the kudos about my other maps. one of my goals is to maybe one day be a featured map winner, or maybe win that accused monthly challenge that has eluded me these past months.

ravells
08-07-2007, 12:21 PM
I'm pretty sure that both will come your way soon enough.

Ravs

RPMiller
08-07-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that both will come your way soon enough.

Ravs
Oh yea?! Well we'll have to do something about that! :shock:;):D:lol:

I'm kidding of course.

pyrandon
08-09-2007, 06:44 PM
KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.....

Hellllooooo? Anyone home?

Come on Terrainmonkey--you can't promise me a map a day (or a few a week) then jilt me, pal! Let's get posting here. Chop chop! ;)

terrainmonkey
08-11-2007, 08:29 AM
yeah, sorry about that. girl problems and all. here's another one i'm working on. the first part of the rebel caverns. this was originally a hand drawn scan, so here goes.

terrainmonkey
08-14-2007, 09:26 AM
ok, so here's a new week. had a crazy weekend involving too many women, too much booze, and a lot more fun than any man should ever have. that being said, the first one is a set of caves, not spectacular, but you see where i'm going with this. i don't know if its done, or not. anyone has any ideas, let me know. i left off the numbers so it could be used for anything i guess. anyway, here goes.

terrainmonkey
08-14-2007, 09:40 AM
this time, with grid pattern. each square is 10 feet.

pyrandon
08-14-2007, 10:08 AM
I have a HUGE soft spot for hand-drawn maps, so you're right up my alley here! I do not, however, like that the edges of the caves you've drawn have "gaps" in the black; not sure if you intended it this way, but it seems the black coloring has not gone completely to the edges.

Glad you're back on the mapping horse!

terrainmonkey
08-14-2007, 10:17 AM
yeah, about the discrepancy between the fill and the cave wall lines. i really was in a hurry with this one, and i just wanted the bases covered. the walls are rough hewn rock, so these areas could represent rock falls, shelves, and other stuff. when one is putting it on a battlemap, you wouldn't have to worry about the walls, and would only have to worry about the dimension of the room and where everything was in relation to the grid. i'm still working on this one, but also, i'm trying to get the map for Knight's bridge finished. that's going to be hand drawn too, so that's pretty much what this week's maps will be, then scanned into corel and modified.

ravells
08-14-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure if it's just me, but I find myself looking at the black bits as the centre of attention, they really leap off the map. Might be worth trying a white fill instead of black, that might lead the eye to the cave floor? Or maybe a light grey or something. Otherwise I really like the tunnel shapes - very natural.

Ravs

terrainmonkey
08-14-2007, 07:43 PM
here's an update, now that i had a few minutes to monkey with it.

terrainmonkey
08-20-2007, 09:51 AM
okay, so it's been a few days, but weekends are rather busy for me. so here's a little hand doodle i scanned in and modified. i originally called it "Caves of the Brine Overlord" because it came to me off the top of my head and i thought it sounded cool. if that's been used already by someone in the gaming industry, sorry. not trying to infringe on copyright or something you see.

anyway, take a look. tell me what you think. i tried and tried to make maps in different styles, but the more i do, i always come back to hand drawn. odd, that.

on the map below, i accidentally deleted the number 6. not really hard to see what room that is. (its the one with the number missin', innit JP?)

pyrandon
08-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Love the "D&D 1st ed" feel of it! The hatching is nice, as is the feel of the "hex paper." Thanks for posting this!

terrainmonkey
08-29-2007, 08:29 AM
hey folks!

well, after a week of nothing, i present to you a series of hand drawn maps that i've been working on the past few days. i found some old graph paper, did some maps with a sharpie pen only and this is what i came up with. just doodles, without any plan. testing out the crosshatching thing. (hellhound, this is not to copy your style, though i must admit to you giving me inspiration for this type of map. old school hand drawn is becoming more and more appealing of late. i just wanted to let you know i wasn't trying to copy you or anything.)

anyway, here's the first. i'll try to post a few others maybe this evening after work. have fun. yoink it if you want. :)

terrainmonkey
08-29-2007, 09:10 AM
here's another map i had a few minutes and decided to play around. basic, i know, but it works. i'll post the other levels in a couple of days. this was originally the Keep of the Crimson Despot that i was going to do last week. that being said, maybe this will be it. gonna have to label it a bit though.

oh and i just changed the compass rose because i like the spearmen and it kind of goes with this map. hope you don't mind...

HellHound
08-29-2007, 09:24 AM
I love them. Especially the keep.

Something about hand-drawn maps that screams "D&D!" to me.

Robbie
08-29-2007, 10:13 AM
I love them. Especially the keep.

Something about hand-drawn maps that screams "D&D!" to me.

Agreed, and I'm tickled pink that we're starting to see more of those on this site! I may have to go scan some of my old hand drawn maps.

terrainmonkey
08-29-2007, 10:47 AM
thanks guys. i'm an old school DnDer, and with the advent of 4th ed, and a new play style perhaps, i think most of my maps will be hand drawn, as an homage to my earlier work. BTW, i just found a bunch of old campaign maps and dungeons from my 1e days. i may start a new thread just to show you some of my work. might take a few days, as some of them are in pretty bad shape. 20 years in a notebook tends to do that.

thebax2k
08-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Nice work with the handdrawn and crosshatched maps Terrainmonkey, I hope we see more ;) As for copying Hellhound, I do vaguely recall some cliche involving imitation and sincerity......

One of the things I like about a new messageboard is when it gets enough users who care about the subject at hand and post enough that they start egging each other on and inspiring each other. Cartographersguild has not been around for long, but I'm pleased with how its growing.

pyrandon
08-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Excuse me while I wipe a tear of joy... my spearmen have been yoinked! Love it! :) :) :)

RPMiller
08-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Congrats Don! :)

You are a machine terrainmonkey! Wow! Keep them coming.

terrainmonkey
08-29-2007, 11:05 PM
hey guys, glad you like them.

here's a few more. kind of to make up for the fact i haven't posted as i said i would. here's the rest of the keep. 2nd level, 3rd and 4th level of the keep, and the dungeon level. use it as you will.

also, if anyone has anything they would like to see here, let me know. i'm always up to the task of trying new ideas. i know mine can become a little stale here and there.

terrainmonkey
08-29-2007, 11:07 PM
here's levels 3 and 4.

terrainmonkey
08-29-2007, 11:08 PM
last but not least, the dungeons.... bwah ha haa!

terrainmonkey
08-29-2007, 11:33 PM
and just for fun, an isometric view.

terrainmonkey
08-30-2007, 04:42 PM
so i was watching my sister's scooter shop today, had some graph paper in the car and a few colored pens i had in my backpack and came up with this. what started as a doodle and some caves ended up being an elaborate smugglers den with rope bridges, statuary, and an altar to whatever god of thieves these guys worship. maybe i'll do the second level tonight.

don't know what's going on with me the past few days, i seem to be on a creative spurt...

as always, comments and criticism is welcome. :)

terrainmonkey
08-30-2007, 09:26 PM
here's the city of Knight's Bridge, as promised a week ago.

a couple of things, i know the river to the north needs to be lengthened. i was going to crop at that point, but the town just ended up a little higher on the map than i thought it would. i'm also not sure that the blue marking out the districts is acceptable to me. i might go ahead and cahnge that as well. we'll see. this has ended up being a work in progress for longer than i would have thought. i must have started and stopped this drawing about half a dozen times before settling on this one. i'm not even sure i like this one to tell the truth.

thebax2k
08-30-2007, 10:32 PM
The Undercity Smuggler's Caves was a very sharp and well done handdrawn map , consider it yoinked. If you should decide to do a second (or some other series if it suits you), that would be very nifty and appreciated. Keep up the great work.

terrainmonkey
08-31-2007, 07:03 AM
i'm working on level 2 now, but it may take a few days to finish, as i have guests coming for the weekend and won't be able to get any mapping done. there should be enough for everyone here, for the time being anyway... :)

i'll repost something maybe monday or tuesday. have a great weekend folks

RobA
08-31-2007, 09:09 AM
i'm also not sure that the blue marking out the districts is acceptable to me.

:D When I saw the thumbnail, I thought this was a city with canals - just you showing my how to make one (and answering my thread posting the question)!

-Rob A>

terrainmonkey
08-31-2007, 08:14 PM
just because i finished something at work. here's level 2 of the smugglers caves, on parchment distorted, and off by itself. tell me which one you like.

terrainmonkey
08-31-2007, 08:25 PM
and now that you mention it, i think i might do a canal city. hmmm... google earth and venice here i come.

bwah hah ha!

thebax2k
08-31-2007, 11:24 PM
Wow! You sure have a fast turnaround at times. Thank you very much. Of the two maps, I prefer the level 2 map that's not distorted.

And now you're about to start on a canal city? Check out the thread in town/city mapping where RobA was soliciting advice. Although I doubt you need any pointers, there are few bits in there that might provide some aid. One cool fantasy canal city I've seen done was Eltabbar in Thay in the Forgotten Realms. The streets and canals of the city were laid out in a giant rune to contain a demon prince that had been trapped there long ago.

Best of luck and good mapping, Terrainmonkey.

terrainmonkey
09-04-2007, 10:41 AM
okay, i've been doodling on the canal city, and i haven't come up with any ideas that i like, so this one is going to be shelved until i get the style right. not exactly a hard task, designing a city, but one has to take a lot of things into account about nature and science in order for it to look right. sadly, i don't have that kind of knowledge. so i've decided to do something different. a western town.

This is going to be hand drawn, and i'm throwing ideas on paper right now, but the jist of the thing will be the following:

day 1: Saddleman's Gulch, overview map
D2: Hell's Mercy saloon, run by "Lucky" Kate Saddleman
D3: Mumford's General store
D4: The L. E. Mumford Bank and Trust
D5: The Saddleman's Mines (because i'm going to want to at least do some kind of underground map
D6: Paulette Rondeau's "Boarding house for wayward girls"
D7: The United Faith church
D8: Palace hotel and Dance hall

if anyone has any ideas, questions, thoughts, or suggestions, let me know. i'll post the first map either tonight or tomorrow. and thanks for all the recent feedback. also, i'm going to be working with Gamer Printshop soon i think. i'm looking forward to that idea.

ravells
09-04-2007, 11:25 AM
I'm glad you've got a 'Gulch'. Every western town needs a Gulch...and a General Store.

RPMiller
09-04-2007, 01:15 PM
okay, i've been doodling on the canal city, and i haven't come up with any ideas that i like, so this one is going to be shelved until i get the style right. not exactly a hard task, designing a city, but one has to take a lot of things into account about nature and science in order for it to look right. sadly, i don't have that kind of knowledge. so i've decided to do something different. a western town.

This is going to be hand drawn, and i'm throwing ideas on paper right now, but the jist of the thing will be the following:

day 1: Saddleman's Gulch, overview map
D2: Hell's Mercy saloon, run by "Lucky" Kate Saddleman
D3: Mumford's General store
D4: The L. E. Mumford Bank and Trust
D5: The Saddleman's Mines (because i'm going to want to at least do some kind of underground map
D6: Paulette Rondeau's "Boarding house for wayward girls"
D7: The United Faith church
D8: Palace hotel and Dance hall

if anyone has any ideas, questions, thoughts, or suggestions, let me know. i'll post the first map either tonight or tomorrow. and thanks for all the recent feedback. also, i'm going to be working with Gamer Printshop soon i think. i'm looking forward to that idea.
OH MAN, OH MAN, OH MAN!!! You shall be a saint by the time you are done!! I'm currently, still, working on a map for my western game. I have lots of good information about western cattle towns and even maps of interiors so if you need any assistance please, please let me know, and just assume that I will be steal... er... borrowing everything you post. :D

Gamerprinter
09-04-2007, 07:02 PM
I've got this book - Ghost Towns of Arizona

In back of the book is a region-by-region map showing the locations of every ghost town in the state of Arizona. While the book itself is an alphabetical order of all these ghost towns, some with street plans, most with photos of the founder, the mine, the main structures that sort of thing.

I've always thought this makes a great reference tool for mapping the old west.

Plus Arizona has Tombstone and other very renowned old west communities.

RPMiller
09-04-2007, 07:23 PM
I actually have traveled to Tombstone and some of the other sites in the area. Got a few resources from there as well.

I have a guidebook that covers Cowtowns and how they were generally laid out and the sorts of buildings you would find in them.

terrainmonkey
09-05-2007, 03:44 PM
well, here's the map. worked on it all morning, and don't know if the colors work for me or not. anyway, i'm going to post the map and then do the descriptions a little later, maybe tomorrow. my birthday party last night kind of took it out of me, but in a good way.

so here it is: Saddleman's Gulch, New Mexico. population 195.

RPMiller
09-05-2007, 04:09 PM
Woohoo!! Off to a great start. Just out of curiosity could you post a version without the numbers? It makes it easier to ste... er... borrow. ;)

terrainmonkey
09-05-2007, 05:30 PM
you asked for it, you got it. glad it meets your approval. :)

RPMiller
09-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Thank you! Now I just have to figure out where I'm going to put the various buildings. In a typical cow town, there was a corral near the railroad station for the cattle to relax in after their long trip, and the saloon, brothel, and other 'dens of ill repute' were always positioned facing the railroad tracks and near them so that the incoming cowboys would see them first. The jail was usually very close to these buildings. The general store and other businesses tended to be a bit away from the "front street" as the town folks would eventually fence off the 'dens of iniquity' and the legitimate stores wouldn't want to get caught up in them.

Interesting thing about this town is that it is near a mine also. There weren't very many towns that were both mining towns and cow towns so this could make for some interesting scenarios.

Thanks!

terrainmonkey
09-06-2007, 10:25 AM
there are a few thought processes that went into the design of this town. i'm thinking it is a boom town that has a mine nearby that was discovered by a woman named Kate Saddlman, or Lucky Kate. The main road was a stage coach road that went past the bluffs to the north. one day, kate went walking after a gruelling day on a coach and tripped over a couple of rocks fell into a cavern, and wound up finding one of the largest viens of (Insert Precious Metal or Substance here) in new mexico. The stage men helped her back out of the cave, and she staked the claim right then.

the town grew up around the main street first, and all the basic amenities are fulfilled. after about 6 years, the rail road was added, so that is a new addition to the area. more and more speculaters and miners are flooding the area, making the site ripe for any kind of adventure one needs.

i hope this explains a little bit about what went into my thoughts about this.

RPMiller
09-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Sure does. :) Thanks for the back story.

terrainmonkey
09-08-2007, 10:36 AM
so i got to working on a saloon, but it wasn't the one i originally thought of. this one is named the Gingernut Saloon. the proprietors are Kelly and Colleen O'Donahue. Colleen is a vibrant beautiful redhead, 10 years younger than her husband, and Gingernut is "redhead" in irish. they have two sons, colin and finn, teenagers who help operate the saloon and clean up after the last customers have gone. it stays opne until midnight, and there's a huge grandfather clock against the back wall of the bar. When this chimes, everyone has to leave. anyone attempting to stay behind is given the boot by Kelly himself. he's a rough and ready strong guy, fast with a pistol, a former soldier in the british army, strong convictions, and protective of his place. he's got a sawed off shotgun behind the bar, visible just in case anyone wants to cause trouble, and a shileliegh that he uses quite often, thus coining the term used by patrons, "don't get kelly shileliegh mad." mostly now all he has to do is reach for it and the offending person runs from the bar.

There are to be no ladies of the night or scandalous behavior here. this is a nice place for those citizens who appreciate the better things in life. kelly has some of the best liquor, imported german and english beer, fine wines, and cigars money can buy on the frontier. one will also find a greater percentage of foreigners here than in other bars. this has also coined the term, "Ferner's Club" by less upright members of the town.

the trail to the outhouse is marked by boundaries of a white picket fence, overgrown a bit with vines. this is to keep the drunks from losing thier way to the outhouse and goin somewhere else, like next to the building, fer instance.

1 square on the map equals 4 feet.

since this is still a work in progress, i'm going to go over it later on with brushes and see how it looks. i'll post something else a little later on, perhaps after work

Venardhi
09-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Whats the point of drinkin' in public if ya can't engage in scandal while you do it? RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

RPMiller
09-08-2007, 07:58 PM
Not a bad floor plan, but unfortunately it is historically inaccurate for the old west and I won't be able to use it for my game, but perhaps others can.

pyrandon
09-08-2007, 10:05 PM
Just a quick chime-in to say Terrainmonkey rocks! I always look forward to this thread's newest tag-on; it's becoming a consistent smile for me! Keep it up you wicked, mad monkey, you! :)

terrainmonkey
09-09-2007, 07:16 AM
Not a bad floor plan, but unfortunately it is historically inaccurate for the old west and I won't be able to use it for my game, but perhaps others can.

since i don't normally do a lot of western style maps, i would like to ask how this is so with the most current one. just to get better, you see. is the description wrong, or is it the layout or floor plan? i'm just curious, as i would like to make things as accurate as possible. i've been researching floorplans in a few books and on the internet and i would like to understand how i may have messed up. please, enlighten me. :)

RPMiller
09-09-2007, 12:29 PM
since i don't normally do a lot of western style maps, i would like to ask how this is so with the most current one. just to get better, you see. is the description wrong, or is it the layout or floor plan? i'm just curious, as i would like to make things as accurate as possible. i've been researching floorplans in a few books and on the internet and i would like to understand how i may have messed up. please, enlighten me. :)
Gladly! Always glad to help.

Here are the main points, but keep in mind that I'm assuming the time period to be in the mid to late 1800s.

Dart board - Darts didn't make it to the US until the turn of the century and even then they were considered a child's game. They didn't make it into pubs until about 1920 or there abouts. There is a popular misconception that darts were brought over on the Mayflower, but that is entirely wrong as it would have been against the Puritan's beliefs to have such a game. Do a search on Dart History. There are some authors from the UK that have disproved the myth and give some more accurate analysis.

The privvy in the house - during this time period especially in the Old West people simply didn't have in house plumbing and thus wouldn't want the smell of the pit to be hafting through the house.

Gaming room - There really wasn't any such thing as a "gaming room" in saloons. They were usually far too small to devote to a space like that, and games were to be played out in the open so that they could be watched by the bartender/owner and in case of a fight breaking out they could be moved outside quickly.

Smoking loft - No such thing in any books I've read. The very concept would be foreign to them. At this time in history no one had any idea smoking was bad. Again space restrictions would mean that space would be devoted to what was absolutely needed. The fireplace in this room would extend to the lower level if it existed at all. Most buildings built during this time did not have the structural integrity to support a huge fireplace like that just on the floor joists. There appears to be some sort of closet near the stairs. While these did exist, they aren't typical.

Upstairs living - This was typically only seen in hotels or brothels. Hotels would typically double as saloons, but not the other way around. There would have to be considerable cash flow for a building like this. There are a few examples of upstairs living, but they seem to be an exception.

Main bedroom - I'm not sure if that is a fireplace on the west wall, but if it is, it would extend all the way downstairs. Most public buildings did not have fireplaces. They usually used wood burning stoves as bricks were expensive or simply unavailable.

Sitting room - This is an Eastern room. Houses built back east by wealthy landowners would have sitting rooms. Most families just had one main room again because of space restrictions.

Kitchen - most "kitchens" were either disconnected from the main building, or they were the wood burning stove that was used to heat the main room. There weren't many saloons that offered food. That was typically restricted to the hotels and brothels.

Finally the outhouse - I'm not positive on this one, but from most of the maps I've seen, outhouses are set quite a ways away from any buildings and they were often communal meaning one outhouse would serve many buildings and be positioned 'out back' between all the buildings in an area that was essentially the "garbage yard". It would be strewn with broken bottles, food waste, and other cast aside items.

I hope all that helped. Your map is certainly not a bad map, but I'm shooting for a historically accurate setting (as best as I can achieve anyway) and this map has a lot of Eastern US, fantasy, and modern elements in it.

RobA
09-10-2007, 09:44 AM
A reputable(?) source suggests:

How far away from the house was the outhouse?
Anywhere from 50 to 150 feet.

http://waltonfeed.com/old/out.html

-Rob (Gotta Love Google) A>

RPMiller
09-10-2007, 12:58 PM
A reputable(?) source suggests:

http://waltonfeed.com/old/out.html

-Rob (Gotta Love Google) A>
That equates to my findings as well.

terrainmonkey
09-11-2007, 08:08 AM
wow! :) That's a lot of good information. thanks! i'm still working on other things, but i'm going to go back to that map and change a few things. i think it might turn into a different kind of establishment, maybe a brothel or something like that. i'm not sure. i may just throw the whole thing away and start fresh.

in the mean time, i'm going to post a few other maps today or tonight maybe. depends. i just got a part in "12 angry men" in our local theatre so i may be preoccupied in the future. i'll post as many maps as possible. i'm going to be working with gamer printshop soon and i'll keep everyone posted about that.

terrainmonkey
09-14-2007, 10:17 AM
okay, so i shelved the western town idea for a few days, maybe a week. i'll post regular updates about it but it is clear to me that i need to do more research into 19th century architecture, lifestyle and habits. just watching deadwood aint gonna cut it, cowboys.

so here is a part of my campaign world for a new setting i'm developing. The Vastos Region. people will notice KnightsBridge from an earlier map. i'm in the process of designing the town of Tendrils, and the Ore Town. maybe i'll put them up later on. it's the weekend, however, so don't expect me to put anything up for the next few days. i'll update when i can on monday or tuesday.

i'm also redoing a lot of my old maps and making high quality jpegs for Gamer Printshop and you'll be seeing me there in the next week or so.

RPMiller
09-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Very nice! I really like the coloring of this map and its simplicity.

terrainmonkey
09-19-2007, 09:12 AM
thanks

i have always believed simple is best. sorry i haven't been on here lately, i've had a lot of stuff to do over the weekend, and work is killing me. i'm in the process of sending a bunch of my maps to Gamer Printshop, so i may not post anything here for a few days. i have a lot of catching up to do, and computer time is short. i have been working on some new ideas so keep an eye out.

also, if anyone would like some details on any of the maps i have posted, let me know.

terrainmonkey
09-22-2007, 10:35 AM
new map

this started out as a doodle and ended up being an idea for possible temple of a dragon god. i also put it do that the entire thing could be reproduced in 24x36 so it could be used as a battlemat. simply hide the areas you don't want the players to see, and voila! there you go.

anyway, there's more to come. keep your eyes posted to this thread, because over the next few days i'll have the Fortress of the Ghoul Lord and the levels beneath.... coming soon.

pyrandon
09-22-2007, 01:57 PM
That dragon god temple is really nice, TM! Very rich and authentic feel. Love it.

ravells
09-24-2007, 06:11 AM
I really like the style of the Dragon God Temple. It has a lovely feel to it.

terrainmonkey
09-24-2007, 10:19 AM
you've got to love doodles. this started out as a quick sketch idea after telling my players about a blue dragon in the Arid Desert to the south. i am planning on livening it up, so this is just a work in progress. maybe i'll show it off in the next day or so after i have had time to work on it. also, i'm still transfering my Fortress of the Ghoul Lord adventure maps to corel, so they should be up in the next few days.

terrainmonkey
09-26-2007, 10:27 AM
here's the beginning of the Fortress of the Ghoul Lord. This is a set of caves that can only be entered through a pit (the chamber in the center of the map). all of the elevations are based off of the base elevation of the pit, which is 60' deep. There is a fortress above the pit, with a large orc encampment serving as the protectors of the pit. it is a stockade wood fort, ruled by a large ogre barbarian warrior named Throg. the fort has several barracks, armories, smithys, and other shops that form a small village/town outpost for most of the humanoid population around the middle of the Ore Hills from the campaign map above. I'll draw out the stockade fort later on and maybe post it tomorrow or friday.

The two cavern passages that lead off the map go to a large chamber with an underground lake stream area that also houses more shops, huts, and tent merchants. there is even a half orc druid that tends a garden of lichen, mushrooms, and other underground fauna. This area is called Downtown by the residents of Throg's Pit. i'll have that up tomorrow or the next day as well. anyway, enjoy!

the scale on this map is left to individuals who want to change it. i was goingin with the 1 square equals 10 feet standard, and if you can't see the squares, it's 1 inch to 40'.

terrainmonkey
10-01-2007, 10:37 AM
because i had to....

i've been looking through some stuff i found on the web and decided to try out an idea.

this is a tomb, crypt, cavern system with scatter fills. just throwing ideas around and when i get on an idea, i have to go to it. the second cave system is finished in the raw, i just have to scan it and color it up. that will post tomorrow probably.

oh, by the way... 1600+ views? wow, i'm touched... :)

pyrandon
10-01-2007, 11:16 AM
I really, really like that scatter fill!! Do tell how you did it!

Gamerprinter
10-01-2007, 03:58 PM
i'm going to be working with gamer printshop soon and i'll keep everyone posted about that.

Terrain Monkey your site is up and running.

terrainmonkey
10-01-2007, 07:32 PM
WOO HOO!!!

awesome! thanks gameprinter! here's to a happy and productive partnership!

thanks again!

Robbie
10-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Since there hasn't been an official policy or stance taken on this sort of thing...I'm issuing a warning for this particular activity. Please refrain from advertising here. I have no problems with mentioning a service, but posting direct advertisements in a thread is taking it a little too far I think.

This could have been accomplished in a PM, and terrainmonkey I will allow you to provide a link to your print account in your signature...

Gamerprinter
10-01-2007, 11:00 PM
Since there hasn't been an official policy or stance taken on this sort of thing...I'm issuing a warning for this particular activity. Please refrain from advertising here. I have no problems with mentioning a service, but posting direct advertisements in a thread is taking it a little too far I think.

This could have been accomplished in a PM, and terrainmonkey I will allow you to provide a link to your print account in your signature...

You are quite right. I apologize for this.:(

Robbie
10-01-2007, 11:22 PM
You are quite right. I apologize for this.:(

Thats why I liek this community...everyone's a good sport! ;)

terrainmonkey
10-04-2007, 04:48 PM
hey folks, been a few days, but i'm back with another map. this is the second level of the Throg's Pit maps series. this large cavern is the residence of many orcs, ogres, and smaller humanoids, even humans, who come to trade in the caverns below Throg's Pit fortress (which is another map i'm working on right now that should be done in a few days.) if you don't see me here for a few days, i'll be doing a WIP for the challenge this month. i'll post a thread about that in the next few days. i don't know whether it should be hand drawn or not, so opinions would be great either way.

thanks!

as always, critique and comments are welcome.

Perfect
11-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Wow. Dude thanks for referring me to this site. Your stuff is really well thought out. Subscribed.
This is Channin btw. See ya at DnD

terrainmonkey
11-02-2007, 09:30 AM
hey, you aren't supposed to look at some of this stuff, you might end up going through it. :( had fun last night. The scythed man is coming! beware the scythed man! bwah hah hahhh......

terrainmonkey
11-03-2007, 10:29 AM
since i've decided not to enter this month's challenge, it frees me up to do some other things i've been wanting to do. i found a graph pad that had 8 squares to the inch and i got inspired, and i've always wanted to do a keep on the borderlands type of map. here is the first attempt. i didn't have any plan in mind, i just started doodling the landscape and putting towers and walls on it. not much of anything, but what the heck. then scanned into corel draw and colored with a soft brush. i might decide to revisit it later, put some shadows on the walls and buildings maybe.

pyrandon
11-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Woo hoo: my spearmen compass occupy another map! :) Thanks!

I like this map, TM! I hope you do play wiht it more in the future. Plus, I'm glad we'll be seeing more of your "doodlings"!

terrainmonkey
11-15-2007, 10:10 AM
here's another one. cities aren't named or anything. this map is in response to a PC in my campaign asking, what's beyond those mountains? (sigh).... i don't know, but i'll bring a map of the larger campaign world next week, i say to him.

so this means i have to make a larger map. okay..... what do i do? i know, google earth has never let me down, maybe i can get an idea from that! sure.....

one picture of messopotamia later, here's the result. a quick player's map they can use. took about 3 hours, basic and simple i know, but i'm all about simplicity. one thing i know to be a fact. i love my Wacom tablet. any mapper out there who doesn't have one, i can't see how you can design maps without it. just using the mouse is almost impossible for me anymore.

terrainmonkey
11-15-2007, 10:33 AM
today is a two-fer. i got the idea for this city after looking through some of my old judges guild maps and seeing the simplicity of design for a map of a city in one of the books. can't name the city right off hand, but thought i'd give it a go.

this was done with the tablet, all freehand with a felt tip pen brush and a couple of artistic styles. took about half an hour, then another ten minutes for the text.

i envisioned this as a town led by a lawful evil ruler who has let the town fall on hard times. there's really no scale because i wasn't really thinking about it. this is just mostly a freehand doodle based on ideas i had during the moment. i may go back and revisit this one, but i think its mostly done.

terrainmonkey
12-05-2007, 03:20 PM
wow, two weeks.... sorry guys

anyway, back to the show, here's one i just put together for the last hour or so. trying to make hand drawn on the comp without using the scanner. getting used to those layer fills. so much easier...

here's a random cave sample. i'm working on something else right now, a dwarven citadel on a mountain called Grisskaald City. maybe i'll post a WIP on it here in a few days when i get the style down i want.

well, anyway, here's the map:

The Cartographist
12-05-2007, 05:05 PM
terrainmonkey-
I'm new to the site in the last few weeks, and when I first got here I didn't take the time to peruse this entire thread. I've just done so. Nice!

Really like a lot of your work, especially Temple of the Dragon God, Smugglers Caves, The Keep, Catacombs of the Lexrian Princes, and Caves of the Brine Overlord (In no particular order).

Some of your other stuff, not so much. . . But it's great to look over all of it.

Keep posting--as several have said, it's really enjoyable to come and take a look on a regular basis.

thebax2k
12-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey Terrainmonkey, did you ever flesh out (hmm, maybe a bad choice of words) any additional levels for Fortress of the Ghoul Lord? It looked like you had made a good start.

terrainmonkey
12-30-2007, 09:26 AM
yes, i've worked on it from time to time, but my work and performance schedule makes it rather difficult to post or do anything really productive lately. add the holidays and travel to the mix and you can see why its been a while since i've posted here. anyway, thanks for the interest, and i'll see about getting those maps up here soon.

terrainmonkey
01-30-2008, 02:18 PM
hey

heres another one. took a couple of hours, but i think i'm getting pretty good at layer masks and all that. reading a lot of tutorials and transferring that into corel draw.

RPMiller
01-30-2008, 02:29 PM
My how your skills have improved young grasshopper. ;)

That is very nice!

terrainmonkey
01-30-2008, 05:49 PM
thanks! every day i have to try something different. this is a happy blending of several happy accidents in map design over the months i've been here. thanks to all who have spurred me on to be better than i thought possible.

anyway, the above map with emboss techniques and stalactites. (because no self respecting cave can be without those.)

also with added texture on the floor. this one is done. i can't do any more to it to make it better than i feel it is.

terrainmonkey
01-31-2008, 01:23 AM
My how your skills have improved young grasshopper. ;)

That is very nice!

by the way, isn't there a badge for "Most Improved Cartographer" here? just sayin', 's all....

;)

ravells
01-31-2008, 05:33 AM
If there was, you would definitely get two of them! :)

Really beautiful work there, TM!

RobA
01-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Oddly, I like the emboss and stalactites of the second, but the floor texture of the first. Might be because the textured floor looks too much like tiles, and it just seem odd to imagine a chamber with a tiled floor having stalactites hanging down.

Beautiful job however - I'm glad you still are finding the time to slip this in occasionally.

-Rob A>

terrainmonkey
02-02-2008, 03:44 PM
obviously, when i say i'm done, i'm not done. here it is again, with a few things fixed that were bothering me.

The Cartographist
02-02-2008, 04:56 PM
TM - Really like this latest effort. I could even imagine a future for that map...

terrainmonkey
02-03-2008, 08:28 AM
TM - Really like this latest effort. I could even imagine a future for that map...

let me know what you have in mind, and we'll talk.

terrainmonkey
02-04-2008, 10:26 AM
so my next project is going to be a group of lairs and dungeons, quick adventures any DM can insert into his game if he doesn't have time to prepare a session. these are going to be quick one shots, without a story, much like the book of lairs that TSR put out in the mid 80s. here's an example of one of the maps i'm working on for this.

terrainmonkey
02-06-2008, 08:57 AM
yeah, this one's done.

next i'm going to work on this month's competition so watch that for updates.

The Cartographist
02-07-2008, 08:29 AM
TM - Looks nice. Some things that I liked:

- How the grid ends where it is no longer needed (at the map's bottom).
- The water grid showing waves.
- General style of it all.

thebax2k
04-18-2008, 07:50 PM
"Casts resurrect on the thread."

Terrainmonkey, its been awhile since I've seen something from you. When inclination and circumstance permit, I hope you are able to post up one of your maps.

Additional stuff for Fortress of the Ghoul Lord seems remote, but one can always hope.... :)