PDA

View Full Version : Do you have maps to sell?

Gamerprinter
08-03-2007, 10:03 PM
I don't mean I want to buy your maps. I mean, do you have quality maps that game masters could use in their own campaigns?

Do you have historic map recreations of actual places like ancient Rome, Alexandria, Athens.

Do you have maps ready for use in ShadowRun, DnD, BT, Aces & Eights, any specific campaign world, any non-specific/generic fantasy or otherwise maps, maybe its time to share it with the world and get paid a license fee.

Gamer Printshop now has an RPG Map POD shop - currently with 12 to Midnight, Modern Floorplans D20 maps, soon to offer GM Syndicate Maps, Goodman Games Maps, and others.

Signup and Product Data forms are almost ready. Signup is free. There are no monthly fees or transaction fees. Cartographer/publisher assigns license fee, which is added to cost of printing with optional laminating. Currently using Paypal only in a secure Ecommerce site.

I need account signups and you need recognition and a paycheck - check us out, please!

http://www.gamer-printshop.com

Duvik
08-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Sounds like a great idea but... it would have been nicer if you had waited until it was all ready to go before announcing it...

I'd love to submit some work over there whenver you are ready but, I need more info regarding pricing and whatnot. I would also say that this post borders on the lines of spam but, I like the idea so I'm not gonna gripe.

Feel free to PM me whenever you launch the publishers area and I'll be most eager to join up.

Arcana
08-05-2007, 04:41 PM
I gave this thread a LOT of thought in regards to spam myself. To be honest, I think it would have been a wee bit kosher if you'd have asked me first before advertising your site on here, but since it is on topic, I'm going to allow it for now.

If things like this get out of hand though, I don't think I'll continue to allow it. One thing you could also consider is to advertise on this site through my google ads...I believe Fractal Mapper has done this, hence the fact that full-size banner ads occasionally pop up on the ad-sense...if you aren't sure how to go about that, let me know.

Gamerprinter
08-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Sounds like a great idea but... it would have been nicer if you had waited until it was all ready to go before announcing it...

I'd love to submit some work over there whenver you are ready but, I need more info regarding pricing and whatnot. I would also say that this post borders on the lines of spam but, I like the idea so I'm not gonna gripe.

Feel free to PM me whenever you launch the publishers area and I'll be most eager to join up.

Because only I have access to the Ecommerce setup page, I have to hand-type or "cut-paste" your product name, product description short, product description long, product thumbnail and pricing information myself.

The script is simply a means to upload this directly, however, if you wish to email this info directly, along with your name, paypal email address. I create a temporary FTP account on my site for you to upload map files. You can do this now. I will have the scripts up by Monday or Tuesday. (They are up, but need some tweaking still.)

Prices are on ecommerce site under "color map printing". Determine proposed map dimensions at sq.ft. price, add lamination, then add your "publisher license fee" to get customer cost. Product placed in Ecommerce shopping cart site - all costs paid for by me. 30 days after a sale is made I money transfer your fee payments to your paypal address.

Is this "SPAMMY", maybe? I apologize. My intent here is there will never be a cost to you (anyone who might be interested)

I want to create another platform or avenue to promote your cartographic skills, instead of "hit or miss" RPG publisher jobs. This is really more self promotion, I just take the cost out of printing, shipping and online transactions out of the cost of marketing your map product. You'd still need your own site to promote your product - but I'd post a page on the main site focusing on you and your products with link directly to Ecommerce page for purchase - also at no cost to you.

I have a Google Adsense account setup - haven't used it yet. As "Duvek" suggests - get the scripts uploaded and fully operational. Once that is done
I will advertise here first!

Again I apologize for any misconceptions regarding possible SPAM nature I may have presented.

Arcana
08-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Its ok...I haven't deleted it have I? ;) As I said, this is definitely on topic stuff you're doing, and I don't see what you're doing as competing...so its good to go for now.

Gamerprinter
08-06-2007, 12:30 AM
In case anyone wished to berrate me in person :P

I am sharing booth 1829 with GM Syndicate at GENCON Indy. Over 20 maps will be on display, that I've printed and laminated. ProFantasy booth will feature one of my printed maps. All the maps used in Goodman Games Dungeon Crawl Classic (mostly B/W) will be my print work as well. So you can get an idea of the kind of work I produce for you.

Looking forward to anyone interested in my idea!

RPMiller
08-06-2007, 01:10 PM
Perhaps you could take some pictures from GenCon and post them here for those of us not lucky enough to go. ;)

Gamerprinter
08-06-2007, 03:46 PM
I'll definitely be taking photos at GENCON Indy - so sure, I'll post them here with permission from the administrator, of course!

I'll be networking while at the show, so I'll take more than just pictures of my stuff!

Arcana
08-06-2007, 04:04 PM
By all means post pics!!!

Gamerprinter
08-13-2007, 11:41 AM
For those interested in signing up a free account on my RPG Map POD shop, the signup scripts are ready. You can find the opt-in form at the bottom on the home page, below the ad describing the program.

I'm not twisting any arms. Sign up is free - there are no setup fees, monthly fees, transaction fees or anything.

After signup I will send you instructions on how to load in your product information and you can start selling your map designs to potential buyers!
8)

Gamerprinter
08-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Just got back from Gencon Indy yesterday...

Awesome and exhausting - I had a great time.

Ah, my camera broke, so I don't have pics, but the guy I shared the booth with has pics and will be sending them, so I'll post them as soon as I get them.

Got free software from NBOS - Fractal Mapper, Profantasy was pushing my brochures "people kept asking prices for printing maps", made lots of great networking conditions. Even getting an endorsement from Russ Morrisey, CEO of EnWorld for printing is WoBS campaign maps.

Next year, I'll be setting up a "Map Print Shop" at Gencon, with color plotter, laminator, cutter in my own booth, and will be adjacent to GM Syndicate and Profantasy.

"Claire" (Save the cheerleader, save the world) of NBC's Heroes was signing autographs.

OK, I'll shutup - great time though!

Richardb
08-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Hey Gameprinter,
I tried to contact you via the site, but the script failed to execute:(
What I wanted to ask was:
Map printing question: I have some CC3 maps with sheet effects I'd like large posters of. Question 1: how does one notify you to activate sheet effects on CC3 drawings before printing so the print looks right? Question 2: will you do set up print properties to do a multi-part map also (say one map printed in 4 36x48 sections)?

Are you up and running for printing?

HellHound
08-28-2007, 11:48 AM
I met you at GenCon and it was a pleasure.

I was the guy running around with the ENnies Swaggon on Saturday and Sunday (Russ' business partner).

Gamerprinter
08-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Hey Gameprinter,
I tried to contact you via the site, but the script failed to execute:(
What I wanted to ask was:
Map printing question: I have some CC3 maps with sheet effects I'd like large posters of. Question 1: how does one notify you to activate sheet effects on CC3 drawings before printing so the print looks right? Question 2: will you do set up print properties to do a multi-part map also (say one map printed in 4 36x48 sections)?

Are you up and running for printing?

Just submit a quote - or just send me an email request (I'll check up on the script not running) stating that the attached map file is in CC3 with sheet effects (so I know), otherwise export to an image format that shows the sheet effect detail as you need it. And yes, I can slice maps that are larger than what I can print, or in the sizes you desire. Just mention the full map size and how you want the image sliced for you.

And I've been up and running since March of this year.

Email at support@gamer-printshop.com

Gamerprinter
08-28-2007, 04:10 PM
I met you at GenCon and it was a pleasure.

I was the guy running around with the ENnies Swaggon on Saturday and Sunday (Russ' business partner).

I remember and yes it was great to meet you! Encon was a great experience -I'm definitely going next year, with my own booth.

I even plan to bring a color printer and laminator and operate as a map shop live at Gencon - you can expect I will be adjacent to Profantasy and GM Syndicate next year.

Richardb
08-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Cool! This is a great service by the way (printing). The best I can do at home is super b, which is nice, but sometimes you want a poster! I'll be sending a handful your way shortly!

As to POD selling maps, that should be interesting. I sold my maps along with the word docs on culture, demographics, geography on ebay for $14.95 each in electronic format, and they did fairly well, so there is a market for fresh gameplay worlds. You may find a nice little niche market here.

Good luck with it!

Gamerprinter
08-28-2007, 08:17 PM
Cool! This is a great service by the way (printing). The best I can do at home is super b, which is nice, but sometimes you want a poster! I'll be sending a handful your way shortly!

As to POD selling maps, that should be interesting. I sold my maps along with the word docs on culture, demographics, geography on ebay for $14.95 each in electronic format, and they did fairly well, so there is a market for fresh gameplay worlds. You may find a nice little niche market here.

Good luck with it!

It sounds to me like you have both the experience and the content for Map POD products. I'd be very interested in your submitting some custom maps for printing sales.

I seem to have no problem finding RPG publishers like GM Syndicate and E.N. Publishing. What I'd like to see more of, however, is small one-person companies, individual cartographers and home-brewed adventure game designers with their own small line of map products. Very much like what you may have to offer.

True, I want me new business to be successful. But because I'm printing your maps, I want to see the community become successful. The whole reason for posting the announcement here, was to find "wannabe" publishers and making success stories out of their products. :D

I am still an active participant in the community trying to adapt a graphics background into a cartography... its not my only reason.

ravells
09-02-2007, 04:05 PM

Good luck with it!

I'm curious as to what 'fairly well' means! (if you're willing to share) I've always done this for recreation and fun (and intend to continue to do so), but if we have people here with talent who have no idea about how to go about marketing their map making skills, then perhaps we ought to look at that.

Ravs

Richardb
09-02-2007, 11:12 PM
I ran 3 different worlds as I recall, each for a 5 day auction, and sold about 30 of each. That was without marketing, and without any real strategy. I thought it was a real good sign of desire to buy independant fresh material. I got really great feedback, and a few buyers contacted me asking for anything else I was willing to give or sell.
What was even more surprising was that these were pure electronic format, nothing printed. So one, it was pure profit, and two, the price would go way up with printed materials available. Many people asked me if I could get them print outs!

RPMiller
09-03-2007, 01:14 AM
That is really awesome news Richard!! Congrats! I guess this is your path to fortune and fame. :)

Richardb
09-03-2007, 01:26 AM
That is really awesome news Richard!! Congrats! I guess this is your path to fortune and fame. :)

Fame and fortune? Well, its nice to have some people use my stuff and enjoy it, I know I've spent enough time making them! It should be fun.

Gamerprinter
09-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Granted Richard has an over abundance of excellent map content and worlds ready to market to the world.

But this shouldn't be mine and Richard's path to opportunity, if not fame and fortune.

I've already contacted Terrainmonkey with a similar offer - is their anyone else here among the members who might have a few maps they would like to see what the market will bear...

Richardb
09-03-2007, 11:00 PM
It is about developing a new market, and keeping the quality bar high. Avoiding the short term fate of the POD book market is an enviable goal.

NeonKnight
09-10-2007, 03:38 AM
BOY, wish I was on this forum before GenCon otherwise I would have stopped and said Hi! Always nice to network when I wasn;t busy playing D&D Minis!

If I go to GenCon next year, I will try and stop by!

Richardb
09-25-2007, 02:33 PM
By the way, I went ahead and had my first huge (4'x3') blow up of one of my better maps done by Gamerprinter... and WOW.
If you have ever put a lot of work into something and wondered how it would look printed in poster size, DO IT! Clearly he has amazing printing capabilities (must be killer printers and he is using high quality papers and inks). The results are awesome, filling a good portion of a wall now. Even my wife thought it was cool (and let's face it, cartography rarely rates a 'cool' with the ladies:P
Now I have about 4 more I want done large. I have a printer that does superB and thought that was big... but no comparison to a double poster size!