PDA

View Full Version : Faldon

Coyotemax
10-15-2009, 01:59 AM
The client has allowed me to post the following map as a finished piece.

I had a lot of fun working on this one, and of course it came with it's fair share of frustrations. But when the home stretch hit, I didn't even notice the passing of time! A whole day gone, just poof like that.

This is the overland map for a game world, representing different areas in the game In the game screen itself, there will be no border (that I know of), I just added it for display on here :) And I finally found a use for the desert canyon texture!! I recycled a few of my typical sat-view textures, but most of the ones used here were created specifically for this map.

2009 Illusory Studios.

AslanC
10-15-2009, 02:17 AM
Simply excellent :)

Steel General
10-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Very cool C-max!

You're churning out all kinds of goodness lately. Bravo!

Gidde
10-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Very nice!

Ramah
10-15-2009, 08:23 AM
I have no idea where you find the time to do all the maps that you do. :s

I have to say I prefer the maps you make that aren't so obviously created from a tutorial, e.g. Pasis' but that is like saying I prefer cheesecake to cherry pie. I do but they are both damn tasty. :)

Coyotemax
10-15-2009, 09:19 AM
Thanks!

Well, I am still settling into my own style with the satview maps (as i've started calling them, heh). This is a total hodgepodge mix of layer masks a la craggles, layer effects a la pasis, rendered clouds a la ascension, and textures a la coyotemax :P

I really had a hard time with the mountains, they slowed me down for a whole 2 days. I wasn't able to get the latest technique to work properly, so I fell back on older techniques.

As to finding time to do these.. I'm still on medical disability, so I figure I'll take full advantage of the situation and be as creative as I can :)

Incidentally, between raiding the change jar and hoarding what I've made from commissions, I can get that intuos4 I've had my eye on since I started all this :)

*dance hop skip*

Karro
10-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Another Coyote Special... great work.

Hope that medical situation improves!

Coyotemax
10-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks, so do I :)

But I've determined to not let the job get in the way of my creativity ever again - even if I have to switch to a job that allows me to be creative :)

It feels like a part of me that was missing has been found.

And honestly, it was finding this site that did it.

Ok, enough, I'm starting to get mushy :P

Gidde
10-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Congrats for the "I'm getting my tablet" you buried in all that! :)

Karro
10-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks, so do I :)

But I've determined to not let the job get in the way of my creativity ever again - even if I have to switch to a job that allows me to be creative :)

It feels like a part of me that was missing has been found.

And honestly, it was finding this site that did it.

Ok, enough, I'm starting to get mushy :P

Yeah, I know that feeling. I mean... I'm a "Financial Analyst", whic isn't what it sounds like... I'm basically a corporate cog that, soullessly, assembles monthly financial forecast and annual budget data and sometimes tries to make sense of that all but ultimately works tirelessly with little more than numbers as my friends... it saps the life out of me. Still... from where I sit now, the only thing I can see is that you gotta do what you gotta do to survive... just also gotta take some of that time off to work on creative stuff in order to stay sane...

Auth
10-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Very nice, indeed. Well done, mate.

I absolutely love the textures, especially where the mountains hit the desert - awesome.

Repped!

Coyotemax
10-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks! I think the desert transition is actually my favourite part :)

Ascension
10-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Mine too, pretty cool. Looks like that one pattern you use (which is so cool no one else wants to steal it) that has been used as a textured bevel or bump map. I'm gonna have to find my own cool-ass pattern :) Nice job, bro.

Gandwarf
10-16-2009, 06:34 AM
I have to say I prefer the maps you make that aren't so obviously created from a tutorial, e.g. Pasis' but that is like saying I prefer cheesecake to cherry pie. I do but they are both damn tasty. :)

I saw this comment and justed wanted to say I fully agree. It's a very fine map of course.

Is there going to be any labeling done for the client?

Coyotemax
10-16-2009, 06:38 AM
On this particular map, no. The primary artist is good at most things, but the map was throwing him off :) We ended up deciding not to represent roads at this time either, or town locations.

that having been said, if further work is required, I will be available to assist with the project in the future as well :) For the sake of a consistent look and feel, of course.

Coyotemax
10-16-2009, 10:09 AM
Incidentally - if anyone has any C&C's, please do mention them! this may be posted as a finished map, but if there's something that can be improved, i would love to hear it.
*prepares for the onslaught of thrown tomatoes...*

Karro
10-16-2009, 02:05 PM
Mine too, pretty cool. Looks like that one pattern you use (which is so cool no one else wants to steal it) that has been used as a textured bevel or bump map. I'm gonna have to find my own cool-ass pattern :) Nice job, bro.

Actually, I ripped off one of Coyote's desert patterns for the desert regions of my own map (latest version not posted yet), but I kept the opacity on it real low to allow a couple of other colors and patterns I wanted in the desert to show through as well, and I didn't want it to be a clear and obvious rip off. The result, imo, looks pretty good for the most part. Not as good as anything Coyote's done (for example, in this map), but still pretty good.

Sapiento
10-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Cool map, CM. I'll have to take the time to play around with the tutorials to produce this map style. The textures look absolutely great.

Coyotemax
10-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Sapiento: considering the quality of your other work, i am preparing to be amazed at your interpretation of it :)

Karro: Oooh!! i look forward to seeing this :) *waits impatiently*