PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to make good hand-drawn looking buildings?

eabrek23
10-15-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm making a Butch Curry style map, and want some nice buildings. I dont want just plain old lines like in Butch's vid tut, so I made my own type. But I got comments saying that the shading on them was wierd and didnt make sense (and now that I think about it i agree) I got a suggestion of using a bevel, but that makes it look too 3D-ish and not hand-drawn. I do have a drawing tablet. If anyone has some suggestions, please post! Thanks

RobA
10-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Here is one in Gimp, but there should be a photoshop equivalent.

- draw the roofs as solid coloured shapes
- apply a bevel
- duplicate and do an edge detect, that you invert and curve adjust (in multiply mode)
- Gaussian blur the edge layer
- aggressively unsharp mask the blurred layer
- optionally perform a dilate to reduce the heaviness of the lines.

-Rob A>

eabrek23
10-15-2009, 08:11 PM
I tried it a bunch of times, but I can't seem to get any lines to show up at all.

Ascension
10-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Here's how I do it.

eabrek23
10-15-2009, 11:25 PM
Nice. Thanks. Any idea what pattern that is in the picture?

eabrek23
10-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Anyone else have some techniques? I'm trying to get all that I can and see which one I like best.

Endarguul
10-16-2009, 07:35 AM
nice building styles, both of them. Maybe I'll use one or both of them for a map if I have a good idea for a city.

eabrek23
10-16-2009, 09:50 AM
I think what I will do is use the bevel technique, and then put thin lines over the bevel spots so it looks han-drawn, but that way I still get the correct shading on everything. The only problem is I can't find a way to make a buildings like Example 1 with correct shading like those in Example 2, the bevel only makes them like Example 2.

RobA
10-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Those are fairly simple. Just shade them yourself (magic wand select then fill)

Alternately, just make a larger building and apply the layer effect, then erase/mask the ends.

-Rob A>

eabrek23
10-16-2009, 11:40 AM
I suppose I could do that. I was looking for it to be automatic shading so it is exact and looks right like when you do a bevel, but it will work.
Great, now that I've got my plan for buildings, I can continue my work. Thanks everybody!

Spiritless
10-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Time for some theory!
Don't forget about common sense. I mean the shape of the houses. If you have a house L shaped or other which is not a straight line, try to make it the same width. RobA's "L" house has different width (thickness, whatever you call it) and that causes problems with the roof. Here's a graphic explanation.

RobA
10-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Time for some theory!
Don't forget about common sense. I mean the shape of the houses. If you have a house L shaped or other which is not a straight line, try to make it the same width. RobA's "L" house has different width (thickness, whatever you call it) and that causes problems with the roof. Here's a graphic explanation.

... with any bevel roof technique, of course.... It is an unavoidable artifact of that process.

-Rob A>