PDA

View Full Version : October Entry - Trade map of the Ynchong Empire

Sapiento
10-17-2009, 06:34 AM
Here my WIP for the October challenge.
The idea is to make a map for traders who come to the Ynchong Empire (a quasi-Chinese analog) which shows the allowed trade routes, the licensed trade cities and the most interesting goods.

I still have to do the rivers, towns, goods, the border for the map, compass and some deco elements. I'm not sure if I can finish it in time.

Ramah
10-17-2009, 07:13 AM
Very nice looking start. I hope you manage to finish it in time.

Sapiento
10-18-2009, 04:55 AM
Added rivers and some more detail on the map.

rdanhenry
10-18-2009, 05:29 AM
Expect the river police at any minute. I'm spotting multiple violations. Lakes with multiple outflows, river splitting (and in the lower right you have a split that can't pass as an oversized delta no matter how you squint at it), and what may generously be taken to be exaggerated river deltas.

The colors go together nicely. The shape of the continent is nice. But you probably want to fix the rivers before you go any further.

Gandwarf
10-18-2009, 07:05 AM
I like what I am seeing... you really got a nice style, Sapiento.
rdanhenry is right though, your rivers are a bit of a mess. Mostly the lakes with multiple outflows and splitting rivers (that can't be mistaken for river deltas).
It's your map of course, so maybe there's a reason for this... if you are going for realism it doesn't seem right.

Sapiento
10-18-2009, 07:13 AM
Expect the river police at any minute. I'm spotting multiple violations. Lakes with multiple outflows, river splitting (and in the lower right you have a split that can't pass as an oversized delta no matter how you squint at it), and what may generously be taken to be exaggerated river deltas.

The colors go together nicely. The shape of the continent is nice. But you probably want to fix the rivers before you go any further.

I like what I am seeing... you really got a nice style, Sapiento.
rdanhenry is right though, your rivers are a bit of a mess. Mostly the lakes with multiple outflows and splitting rivers (that can't be mistaken for river deltas).
It's your map of course, so maybe there's a reason for this... if you are going for realism it doesn't seem right.

Thank you both for the hints for the rivers. I'll change them.

mearrin69
10-19-2009, 12:33 AM
I really like the colors and style. You've already got a sort of Asian feel to it somehow. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
M

Sapiento
10-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks.

Here the new WIP. I corrected some of the river violations and put in the towns and cities.
However, I'm not quite sure about the city style. Maybe I go for somewhat simpler white outline pictures.

mearrin69
10-19-2009, 01:12 PM
I like the city style but would like to see more variation, unless you're going for an iconic thing (by this I mean pic x=metropolis, y=city, z=town). Time is short for these entries I guess but it'd be cool if you could sort of come up with a little flavor for each city and make the icon slightly different. Just a thought...and probably a time-consuming one at that! :)

Maybe a little more shading on the forest canopies? At first I mistook them for grassy mesas. The green looks to me more like a flat layer of vegetation than treetops. Now that I look at it again, maybe the suggestion of treetops (with squiggly lines or whatever) might be more useful there than just shading. I think the strokes just inside the border partially led me to misread them as landforms rather than trees.

Looking great!
M

Sapiento
10-19-2009, 02:20 PM
Indeed, the cities are meant to be icons, exactly as you described them.
And I will think about the point with the forests.

Sapiento
10-21-2009, 11:32 AM
That's so far my final map.

Added legend, goods, trade routes and some deco.

This is a map made by a foreign trade guild for its members how to trade in the Ynchong Empire. The map shall create an 'Ynchongese' feeling, that's the reason for the quasi-Asian style labels on the map and an Ynchongese dragon at the compass.

Ramah
10-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Very nice and colourful map. I particularly like the compass and scale which looks really awesome.

You might want to change the word "deads" to "deaths" though in the legend.

Good luck in the contest. :)

Gidde
10-21-2009, 12:50 PM
This looks great, Sapiento. I particularly love the guild seal watermark in the ocean.

Sapiento
10-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Very nice and colourful map. I particularly like the compass and scale which looks really awesome.

You might want to change the word "deads" to "deaths" though in the legend.

Good luck in the contest. :)

Thanks for the hint. Hadn't controlled the text enough, obviously.

This looks great, Sapiento. I particularly love the guild seal watermark in the ocean.

Thanks.

mearrin69
10-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Oddly, I can't see the latest WIP. I wanted to see your compass rose. I recently did one with a dragon on it and it was a lot of fun to put together.
M

Steel General
10-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Neither can I...

Sapiento
10-21-2009, 02:36 PM
This should work.

### Latest WIP ###

Gandwarf
10-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Very, very nice Sapiento. You did the icons yourself again?

mearrin69
10-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Wow. Nice touches to finish it off. I'm amazed by how much this stuff can up the look of a map. I'd rep you but don't think I can yet.
M

Steel General
10-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Well done, I think the only thing you might consider changing is the double-headed eagle seal. It is the only 'non-oriental' item on the map. Maybe a phoenix or something? *shrugs*

Sapiento
10-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Very, very nice Sapiento. You did the icons yourself again?

Thanx. Yes, I did them myself. Maybe I should do a little tutorial for Inkscape how to create this stuff?

Wow. Nice touches to finish it off. I'm amazed by how much this stuff can up the look of a map. I'd rep you but don't think I can yet.
M

Thank you.

Well done, I think the only thing you might consider changing is the double-headed eagle seal. It is the only 'non-oriental' item on the map. Maybe a phoenix or something? *shrugs*

The double headed eagle is the symbol of a foreign kingdom and its 'Royal Trade Guild'. It's intentionally put on the map as a sign of its origin. As the whole map is made by 'Non-orientals' but with a oriental look this points to the direction where the map was fabricated. You see, I can't replace the watermark and the seal without destroying the concept of the map.

Sapiento
10-22-2009, 01:53 AM
For some reason I can't find the last picture in the October thumbnails (at least now when I was trying) and I can't find the error. Any ideas?

Gamerprinter
10-22-2009, 06:02 AM
Last I checked, Redrobes script requires it run manually and that's usually once per day, so it should make it eventually. Never worry about the latest WIP update, showing up right away, its not an automatic script.

GP

Sapiento
10-22-2009, 06:18 AM
Ah! I thought it would be automatic.

Steel General
10-22-2009, 07:12 AM
The double headed eagle is the symbol of a foreign kingdom and its 'Royal Trade Guild'. It's intentionally put on the map as a sign of its origin. As the whole map is made by 'Non-orientals' but with a oriental look this points to the direction where the map was fabricated. You see, I can't replace the watermark and the seal without destroying the concept of the map.

Works for me :)

Gandwarf
10-22-2009, 07:57 AM
Tutorials are very welcome Sapiento! You make lovely icons!

Immolate
10-24-2009, 03:59 PM
*applause*