PDA

View Full Version : Citymap Daboha

Djekspek
10-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Hi fellow mappers, I was working on a detailled citymap but need more practise in shading before I can make anything nice. So I first started with a citymap without too many details (my first citymap :). Mainly been working on creating a good brush for some "fast housing". I got a nice brush now and although it needs a lot of work still this is what I got so far. cheers

Gidde
10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
I like the way the brush turned out. Nice looking city map :)

Aenigma
10-20-2009, 02:06 PM
o-la-la! Nice!
I like the name of the city as well.

Steel General
10-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Quite nice!

RobA
10-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Very Nice! I like the way you did the forests too.

-Rob A>

Gandwarf
10-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Nice map, looks good. Very nice texturing.
Are you going to do roads in the city or are you keeping just the sandy texture?

Djekspek
10-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the nice comments, really helps keep up motivation (I'm usually bored too fast leaving things unfinished :). The texture for the streets is finsihed (2 layer cobblestone trying to make it look interesting at both low and high zoomlevel). Snapshot of streets: (I may have to make the streets a little smaller, at least in the suburbs)

Clercon
10-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Looks really nice. I like the cobblestone a lot. Good work :-)

Gandwarf
10-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Ah yes, that does look a lot better!

Gidde
10-20-2009, 04:56 PM
That's a great cobblestone texture. Is it one you found/made, or is it done by effect/hand?

Djekspek
10-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Hi, I created the texture using just some cobblestone picture from the web (can't remember where I got it from but there's plenty royalty free stuff around). I played around with the color and saturation balance to enhance the 'groves' while removing detail. I then made 2 patterns from it, one about twice the size of the other. I first fill with the big sized one and then go over it with the little one with about 50% opacity (also 'washing away' the not-so-seamless edges ;)

mearrin69
10-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Repped. Wow. I thought the first post image was awesome (and possibly finished)...but the closeup showing cobblestones and trees is just incredible. I'm looking forward to seeing this thing done. Nice work!
M

Spiritless
10-21-2009, 09:23 AM
now that's neat! Really good looking. Although I don't know why some parts of the city have no bridges/other connection to other parts (stand-alone islands?)

Djekspek
10-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi fellow-mappers, Spiritless, the map was still in progress so the bridges had to be added still, but they're in now ;)

I think I'm gonne stick with this 'final' version although the color balance is not yet 100%, I cant seem to get it right yet. Some more 'special/different' buildings would make it more interesting as well I think. And of course legend/labels should have been added.

Anyway, thanks all for the nice feedback, that really helped me finish this quick. Must say I learned a lot on this first city mapping project :D

cheers

Spiritless
10-21-2009, 08:43 PM
oh man
now it looks simply great

Gandwarf
10-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Have some rep, it turned into a beautiful map. The farmland to the northwest looks great.

Something about the layout of the city is nagging at me at the moment. Somehow the city looks more like a collection of houses than a large city, structured into blocks. There's no real order to this city, although that might be the effect you were going for :)
It could also be that it's because most of the houses have the same size. I am missing larger, special buildings. Think warehouses, mills, religious places, arenas, etc.

But as I said before, it's beautiful nonetheless. Great textures.

Steel General
10-22-2009, 07:39 AM
This turned out quite nicely.

Ramah
10-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Wonderful. I really like the palette and the farmland top right.

Djekspek
10-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Hi all, thanks again for the nice comments and feedback. And esp. Gandwarf thanks for the comments as I also thought something was wrong. I couldnt put my finger to it but your comments really hit the spot I think. I tried adding more special buildings and 'blend' the houses more in the layout/streets. It's a little better now but next time i guess i need some more cityplanning before just drawing in the buildings ;)

jaspertjie
10-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Pefect!!! But you should use a greater variety of colors for the buildings.

Gandwarf
10-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Yeah, some more color variety might help as well. Maybe some more red roofs.
It's certainly starting to look more like a natural city, by the way.