PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions for Photoshop

vhailor27
10-20-2009, 03:33 PM
1. If I want to create a circular tower how can I "bend" the stone wall texture I have, so it can give the round shape to the building?
If not, can someone suggest a technique to create pseudo-3d walls?

2. Sometimes the icon of a tool I've selected disappears and it's replaced by a small cross. It's frustrating trying to erase something when you don't see the size of the brush.
Is it a shortcut I press that does thator something else?

Midgardsormr
10-20-2009, 03:44 PM
Toggling between the crosshairs and the normal brush is done with the Caps Lock key.

To create the distortion you want, try Edit > Transform > Warp. Set the Warp type to Arch. Drag the handle that appears in the top middle of your object to adjust the warp. Unfortunately, that won't quite make the edges work out, so you may wish to change to Custom in order to adjust the corners to make it appear more round.

Ramah
10-20-2009, 03:49 PM
I think you need CS2 or upwards to have the Warp tool, so just be aware you won't find it if your PS is earlier like mine. :(

töff
10-20-2009, 04:07 PM
The best way to create 3D imagery is with a 3D app. Blender is a free one. Apparently, Bryce 5.5 is now free, too.

Ascension
10-20-2009, 06:50 PM
Look at the link here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=85295#post85295). On post #11 I explain a simple process.

Zeta Kai
10-20-2009, 07:15 PM
2. Sometimes the icon of a tool I've selected disappears and it's replaced by a small cross. It's frustrating trying to erase something when you don't see the size of the brush.
Is it a shortcut I press that does that or something else?

Check your caps lock. Shift won't replace your brush/eraser/whatever with a cross hair, but caps lock will. Let us know if that works.

vhailor27
10-21-2009, 05:50 AM
Thanks for your advice. I'll try them and see what happens.

JoeyD473
10-22-2009, 12:24 AM
For 3D images you really need a 3d App. You might want to try DAZ Studio. It's free from there site

Midgardsormr
10-22-2009, 01:19 AM
Respectfully, I disagree. 3d apps are fine, and they are powerful, but they're also quite complex. If you're just making some isometric icons or somesuch, taking the time to learn Blender or Daz, or even Sketchup, may not be the best use of time.

If you are going to dabble in 3d, then Sketchup is a good place to start. The interface is, in my opinion, much more intuitive than any of the other free 3d apps available.