PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

Leviathan62089
10-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Greetings people,

I'm new here and am interested in trying my hand at cartography. I was wondering if anyone could impart some wisdom of theirs upon me. I am pretty good with Photoshop and have a decent understanding of graphic design. I'm looking to expand my skills into the art of map making.

I am very interested in Christopher West's style of cartography and would like some insight on his methods and technique. He doesn't have any tutorials up on his site yet, so I've had to resort to studying the maps he's done in attempt at deciphering his process. Some things are clear, yet many are still difficult to figure out.

Anyway, I'm hoping this site will give me access to a wealth of information so that I may one day be able to create professional quality maps.

Juggernaut1981
10-20-2009, 09:24 PM
*Stares blankly at the Christopher West comment and wonders if they were ever in the cast of Batman...*

For all your Cartographer's Guild Advice on doing shiney things map-related... we recommend the Tutorials Section... full of random stuff, mostly useful stuff and the GIMP-God RobA's various bits and pieces (feel free to blow sunshine up his butt)... there is a wide variety on offer for the experienced and new alike...

Welcome into the Guild. In the event of a crash, the exit is located and marked by the Red X on your screen. Thankyou for Flying Guild Airlines.

**Note: Yes I am that random in real life**

NeonKnight
10-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

Ascension
10-20-2009, 11:31 PM
I had to Google his name but from his website it looks like his maps are most reminiscent of a hybrid between the Pasis style for Photoshop (terrain) and Campaign Cartographer 3 software (buildings) but with a clear yet almost cartoony feel. Certainly his own unique style, which is pretty cool, but these are the two similar styles that came to mind as we have many examples of those here at The Guild. Welcome aboard.

Aenigma
10-21-2009, 02:37 AM
Welcome :)

Steel General
10-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Gidde
10-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Welcome to the guild!

Christopher West
04-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Hey, Leviathan! I'm honored by your interest in my work; let me know if you have any specific questions, and I'll try to answer them. There are a few techniques that I like to keep to myself, but i'm generally pretty communicative. :)

I've never used Campaign Cartographer, by the way; I use Photoshop almost exclusively.

Oh, and Juggernaught: I have no known relation to Adam West, of Batman fame. Which is good, because I wouldn't look good at all in the tight-fitting costume...

ravells
04-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Welcome to the Guild!