PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy novelist saying hello!

emphyrio
10-22-2009, 03:49 AM
Hi there,,

My name is Tim Stretton and I've been fascinated by maps for almost as long as I've been writing. Drawing a map is one of the first things I do when I'm starting a new story.

It's ironic that my one commercially published novel doesn't include a map (but I used one when I was writing the book). Publisher's choice rather than mine!

Maps are great way to kick-start creativity as well as grounding the story's practicalities.

I'd have loved maps even if I wasn't a writer. As well as their inherent beauty, they are full of possibilities, limited only by our imagination.

I've used Fractal Terrains quite extensively, having also used AutoRealm, Campaign Cartographer and Terragen.

Looking forward to hanging out here!

ravells
10-22-2009, 03:54 AM
Welcome to the Guild emphyrio! This is a great place to improve your mapping skills. As some of the other authors in the Guild might tell you, mapping is so much fun you may put your writing in second place!

What was the name of your published novel? I'd love to have a peek at it! :: Edit :: Just found it on Amazon. I think I'll order it! (It is 'Dog of the North' right?)

best

ravs

Steel General
10-22-2009, 06:18 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Gandwarf
10-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Welcome to the guild!

emphyrio
10-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks, all.

Rav, it is indeed The Dog of the North. Hope you enjoy!

Gidde
10-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Welcome to the guild!

Aenigma
10-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Hey and welcome! I'm a writer as well :D

Karro
10-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Well, that's a change of pace to have an actually published fantasy novelist to counterbalance all us poseurs, wanabes, and future-fantasy-novelists (such as may be the case, and I mean that in the most loving way I can say it... being one in heart and mind and purpose with all those as well). There's at least 4 of us, that I'm aware of.

So, a hearty welcome to you, then.

töff
10-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Heyyy, I know you from the Vance plane. Welcome!

su_liam
10-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Hey, cool! Welcome aboard, Mr. Stretton! Anybody think a published author might qualify for the industry professional tag?

Myself, I'm more of an unpublished(unpublishable?) wannabe poseur future science-fiction writer, but hey...

emphyrio
10-22-2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Good to see some other writers here, and great to see another Vance fan: there's a man whose books deserve decent maps!

töff
10-22-2009, 02:29 PM
another Vance fan: there's a man whose books deserve decent maps!There are some. Men In Cheese's uberscarce "Lyonesse" RPG has some really good ones of that storyworld. Have you seen the one I did? (check my sig).

zenram
10-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Welcome aboard!!!

Ramah
10-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Hey there, welcome to the guild. Can I have the number of your agent? :D

Ah... if only I could knuckle down and actually write my damn story I might have actually meant that. :(

Karro
10-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Myself, I'm more of an unpublished(unpublishable?) wannabe poseur future science-fiction writer, but hey...

And that's why we love you! (Misery loves company... ;))

emphyrio
10-23-2009, 03:21 AM
Töff - nice Ports of Call map!

Ramah - if I had an agent I'd love to share!

It's interesting that so many people are intersted in maps and writing here. They both tap into similar creative impulses although they work in different ways. Maps suit the perfectionist temperament, because you can get them 'perfect'; while writing is as much about acknowledging and accepting your imperfections. (I think you can make a perfect map, but you can't write a perfect novel...)

Karro
10-23-2009, 08:59 AM
Töff - nice Ports of Call map!

Ramah - if I had an agent I'd love to share!

It's interesting that so many people are intersted in maps and writing here. They both tap into similar creative impulses although they work in different ways. Maps suit the perfectionist temperament, because you can get them 'perfect'; while writing is as much about acknowledging and accepting your imperfections. (I think you can make a perfect map, but you can't write a perfect novel...)

I don't know... I think you'll find as you dig deeper and deeper into mapping that you can never really get a 'perfect' map... you can keep tinkering and tinkering trying to make your maps better! Eventually, you just have to stop and say "it's good enough!".

töff
10-23-2009, 09:41 AM
so many people are intersted in maps and writing here.Gaming, too: both RP and board.

I attribute my love of maps to my childhood love of games. When I see a map, I want to start pushing tokens around on it.

Gidde
10-23-2009, 02:05 PM
I attribute my love of maps to my childhood love of games. When I see a map, I want to start pushing tokens around on it.

I've been a gamer for a long time too, but I guess my reader/writer mentality shows through for maps. Because when I look at a map, I want to read about the people who live there. And I get really upset if I can't look at the map for a book I'm reading, lol.

NeonKnight
10-24-2009, 03:01 AM
Welcome to the Guild!