PDA

View Full Version : What does your working area look like?

ravells
08-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Here's mine....note the tell tale glass of wine.

I collect masks and maps, you can see the former on the wall.

Ravs

RPMiller
08-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Oh! A fun thread! :D

EDIT: You know if you were one of my users I would be yelling at you about the amount of files on your desktop (computer desktop). Those better be shortcuts young man! ;)

ravells
08-07-2007, 07:34 PM
less chat...more pictures...and um..well yes. they are shortcuts...most of them!

Arcana
08-08-2007, 07:30 PM
I plan on posting my work area tomorrow...and I expect all of you to promptly be jealous. The nature of my work grants me lots of toys ;)

HellHound
08-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Mine's usually the dinning room table. Although once I have my new office at work, I plan on doing at least one new map a week there.

pyrandon
08-09-2007, 12:53 AM
Sweet thread! I was especially happy to see Ravs's place, since I've always wondered what England looked like ;)

Here's my workspace, located in the house built by the same hands that type this right now (although I did Photoshop out the wall cracks, drastically sloping floor, water leaks, and rat infestation...).

My wife is my interior decorator, but she knows what I like: (fairly) clean sparseness & dark wood. I tiled the floors just this year and love 'em!

Take care!

Arcana
08-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Ok, here goes...I'm a senior systems engineer for Lockheed Martin by day, which grants me lots of graphics tools, since my weapon of choice for 3d cockpit design is 3d studio. I basically make airplanes (and specifically cockpits) for flight simulators for the navy.

In the first picture you can see the WIP of the medium fidelity V-22 Osprey cockpit I'm working on for the Reduced Oxygen Breathing Device Simulator...

Note the three monitors, two of which are wide screen...the A-10 tank killer model...the ukelele, two keyboards, two mice, wacom tablet (soon to be replaced by a wacom cintiq...look it up), the flight controls (joystick/throttle) the $12,000 computer (including software) from Boxx Technologies (look them up), the bottle of red wine, and all the other carious geek toys haphazardly spread around the desk.

EDIT: The pictures are high res, click them for better view

pyrandon
08-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Okay, Arcana--what are you trying to do to us "normal" guys, eh?

Gonna go now & wipe a tear from my eye & try to get a grip on my envy.

:)

ravells
08-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Arcana, you must have the best job in the world. Not only do you get to design cockpits, you also get lots of toys to take home! It's just not fair! Enjoy your Cintiq, you lucky, lucky thing!

Ah hah! Don, you've got the same Epson printer I have. I *love* that printer, a recent buy which replaced my old HP which I had for 5 years - it's incredible how much inkjet technology has come on since then.

Ravs

Arcana
08-09-2007, 11:12 AM
My printer...also in my cubicle here, is a Lanier 5645 :D i don't do a lot of printing though.

Gamerprinter
08-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Basically my shop is 3600 sq.ft. with Xante Illumina Digital Color Press, EnCad Novajet 880 large format color printer, SEAL 400 D large laminator, Oce 36" B/W Scanner, Scanmaker 9600XL 12 x 18 flatbed color scanner, hi-speed laser printer, thermal transfer printer, 15" vinyl cutter, Kip 3000 36" large format B/W laser printer and a blueprint machine. 5 PCs networked.

I am understaffed and overworked, so since I'm my own cleaning crew, it basically looks like Loki started Ragnarok early... so no pics ;)

RPMiller
08-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Here's my workspace,
Desk right in front of the window... how's the view? :)

Basically my shop is 3600 sq.ft.
My first job was in a repographics shop. I setup their network and ran their plotting department. Those were the good ol' days. ;) I was able to make full scale maps on the inkjet plotters for $2. :D

Note the three monitors, two of which are wide screen...the A-10 tank killer model...the ukelele, two keyboards, two mice, wacom tablet (soon to be replaced by a wacom cintiq...look it up), the flight controls (joystick/throttle) the $12,000 computer (including software) from Boxx Technologies (look them up), the bottle of red wine, and all the other carious geek toys haphazardly spread around the desk.So I'm guessing the gal in the clock/picture frame is your SO, and the doggie is named...? :)

ravells
08-09-2007, 11:52 AM
I want to know what Bill did to Arcana to get fired :)

RPMiller
08-09-2007, 12:16 PM
I want to know what Bill did to Arcana to get fired :)
ROFLMAO!!!! I had to go look again. Very funny! :lol:

Arcana
08-09-2007, 02:05 PM
I don't think I get the Bill comment.

As for the clock pic...yes, thats my wife Jenny, and the dog is Lakota.

I REALLY wanna see the pics of the great print room GP.

landorl
08-09-2007, 02:24 PM
My work area is my thumb drive, and my computer at work, my laptop or my PC at home. My home PC has the most horsepower, but I end up using it the least.

RPMiller
08-09-2007, 02:38 PM
I don't think I get the Bill comment.

As for the clock pic...yes, thats my wife Jenny, and the dog is Lakota.

Second pic, look above the wall of your partition at the wall behind it... ;)

RPMiller
08-09-2007, 02:39 PM
My work area is my thumb drive, and my computer at work, my laptop or my PC at home. My home PC has the most horsepower, but I end up using it the least.
That sounds like my work environment to a 'T'.

Gamerprinter
08-11-2007, 01:42 PM

I was gonna do it, reached for my digital camera, but the batteries are dead.

:(

I'll definitely take pics of my "ragnarok" shop for you, but post on Monday...

Anna
08-11-2007, 07:49 PM
This was an interesting thread indeed!

Here are a couple of shots of my workspace.

The first one shows the desk area with 3 TFT monitors. The one in the center is a 30 Samsung, the best thing I have ever bought to my computer. The one to the right is a 22 hooked up to my second computer used for rendering download etc. The small one to the left is a 10 touch-screen mostly used in games and flightsims with the touch-buddy application. I use multiplicity to control 3 computers with one keyboard/mouse.

The second picture is there to show that Im almost on equal terms with you nerds and flying nuts. I have a HOTAS cougar (EvenStrain modified) setup with pedals, and a TrackIR. Falcon4 looks good on a 30 screen :)

My computers are DIY home builds with as much power I could get my hands on a year ago when I built my main machine.

Anna

Arcana
08-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Dang Anna! Nice setup!

You must tell me abou this EvenStrain modification...because if it fixes the HOTAS Cougar's inability to maintain center axis, I am VERY interested. I have a Saitek X52 at home and it flies like a champ, but the Navy isn't interested in it because it doesn't FEEL like a real flight stick. We were looking at the FSSB R2 Force sensor modification but because it comes from spain and they can't run our govt credit card without going through paypal, which we're not authorized to use, we can't order any.

That 30" monitor is stunning. I cant wait till I get my Cintiq though! I'd like to talk to ya off-site about your flight sim interests sometime...but in the meantime, I'd like to invite you to try x-plane if you haven't already. In my opinion its THE most superior commercial hobbyist level flight sim in the industry...and at a mere 40 bucks for the entire United States (or your region) and 60 bucks for the ENTIRE WORLD to fly in, and given the fact that it uses real physics instead of data-tables a-la microsoft flight sim, I'd say its pretty impressive. I also like the fact that its 100% open content. You can make a working airplane of your own design in under 1 hour if you know what you're doing. http://www.x-plane.com (official) and http://www.x-plane.org (community)

Duvik
08-11-2007, 09:08 PM
heh... me workshop looks a bit different from ye all... I hide in me garage with laptop on lap so's i can smoke cigarettes while working... no smokin' in the house of course. if ye look closely... ye can even see me boots kicked up on the chair in front of me. Picture was taken with me cell phone from exact position you'll find me in more often than not.

ravells
08-12-2007, 01:44 AM
Wow, it's really weird to see a picture of my workstation on someone else's computer screen!

Anna / Arcana - back in the time when I was an online ww2 flightsim junkie (Aces High and IL2) I used a Saitek X5x (the older one with the rudder rocker on the throttle), rudder pedals and Track IR. I had a HOTAS but never used it - the handle just seemed too big for me. The addiction ran its course and now everything sits in a cupboard gathering dust.

Question for you Arcana, I've always found a 'twisty joystick' far more intuitive to use than rudder pedals on flight sims, do you reckon that future aircraft controls are going to go that way?

Ravs

Arcana
08-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Definitely not...I DARE you to attempt to use the twisty joystick method as an anti-torque solution for a helicopter...There's no way...But for airplanes...with the rising popularity of UAV technology, and given the fact they have UAV's delivering ordnance now, I think the future of rudder pedals is kinda moot. I dunno tho.

Anna
08-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Well pilots are a very conservative kind of people and if you have invested so much energy to learn something you will demand it will be there for you. Just think of the QWERTY keyboard we still use after 100 years, and it has never been any good.

Yep the EvenStrain fixes the cougar and makes it feel like a real stick. I’m amazed that you make such a fine piece of hardware and then screw up the mechanical workings and pots. My modified stick doesn’t have the “2 distinct axis” feel to it any more. With the hall sensors it is as sensitive as a real stick. I think I paid over $500 for the conversion and shipping, but I got the titanium version!

Here is a link to a page with pics and notes: http://home.columbus.rr.com/zach/sim_stuff/sim_gear.html

It uses ordinary springs so you can easily put in stronger ones if you want a stiffer stick.

Anna

Arcana
08-12-2007, 10:21 PM
You may have just gotten me a promotion!!!

ravells
08-13-2007, 06:02 AM
Definitely not...I DARE you to attempt to use the twisty joystick method as an anti-torque solution for a helicopter...There's no way...But for airplanes...with the rising popularity of UAV technology, and given the fact they have UAV's delivering ordnance now, I think the future of rudder pedals is kinda moot. I dunno tho.

Heh, I was thinking of ballistic aircraft, not helicopters. With the amount of thrust they have, hydraulically powered control surfaces and fly by wire, modern fighters seem to be able to defy the laws of aerodynics. I was just thinking that it would be quite sweet if in it's own little way, Flight sim games had an effect on real life.

In the WW1 and WW2 flight sim games I played (never liked the modern ones too fast and there's no proper dog-fighting - (fastest plane with the better weapons and countermeasures will always win, IMHO) they simulated control surfaces seizing up in a dive (the spitfire was famous for this) by gradually cutting off any joystick respose after your speed went past about 400 mph IAS.

BTW, through my work I'm a member of the Royal Aeronautical Society (http://www.raes.org.uk/) if you would like to get in touch I'd be happy to arrange an introduction via email with the them (coincedentally I'm having a drink with the Deputy CEO tonight), or if you would like notes on any of the lectures, I'd be happy to help there as well: you may find this one (http://www.raes.org.uk/conference/PDFs/EdwinLect07.pdf)interesting. Same for you Anna - if you find any of the lectures of interest, tell me and I'll try and get hold of the notes for you.

Anyway, this is getting way off topic, so we can continue this via PM if you like.

Ravs

Ishmayl
08-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Did you guys all pay top dollar for those nice flat screen (and widescreen) monitors, or did you find deals on them? And if you answer yes to the second part, can you please send me links? I'm still using a 60 pound Dell 15-incher :(

Arkkeeper
05-29-2008, 05:23 PM
amongst these mighty people, I am but a humble homeschooler in the back woods of Maryland.

I don't have much experience with flightsims but I have to say that the Ace Combat series is amazing, because it's not a simulator, You can't simulate what never happened or what can't happened (Ace Combat is set on a fictional earth with real Planes and then Flying Aircraft Carrier) The Story hands down makes it awesome. Also it's probably the best looking flight game ever.

anyways

@Ravells: You know whats funny, I make Masks! or my parents do, they make a living as Artisans here's a link to there site though it hasn't been updated in a while- Mythical Masks (http://www.mythicalmasks.com/oddiments_files/main.html)

And Of Course My Desk: Now Yes I had to do an artistic shot so I also did a shot of how it looks normally and one of the whole setup, and then one of the best parts of all, the bookcase which if you look the entire top row is D&D, no scratch that even better, AD&D.

Turgenev
05-29-2008, 06:08 PM
Ohhh, nice thread. http://209.85.62.26/12611/85/emo/thumb.gif I'll have to take some pictures of my work space once I cheat and clean it up a bit. ;) At the moment, a sizeable portion of my desk is covered with RPG & Japanese language books but the area in front of me is clean except for my keyboard and my scrap paper for notes/doodles.

ravells
05-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Your parents' masks are beautiful! Is there a chance I could buy one? I have paypal, and the I love the 'Raven' Mask. Below is the full collection (so far, but Felicity has confined me to the one wall so my 'Green Men' are mostly outside except for three little ones I have on the wall. Closeups of my faves which your parents might like to replica - the harlequin (paper mache) from Spain and the red dervish from Turkey (leather).

Much as I love my mum and dad, yours are just so cool, having read the bios. (But then they are both younger than me, which is a little scary and depressing!) You're very lucky.

I've always wanted to go to a Rennaisance Fayre! You lucky chap you!

jfrazierjr
05-29-2008, 07:26 PM
The good old days... I had a thrustmaster way back when with pedals, stick and throtle. LOVED that thing for playing Mechwarrior II and III. Then the throtle broke and I have been forced to (rarely) playing with Saitek x5x stuff. I would LOVE it if someone made fairly cheap rudders that would work with the Saitek. I know some people have modded theirs to let the pedels work, but I don't have the guts to ruin a $100 stick... Not that I have time to play games much anymore. heh... I had no idea people were still playing Falcon 4!!! That came out in like 95 or so...

Anyway, my work area is my work laptop. I usually work on my craftmatic bed (in the dentist chair position...) while watching TV. Now that I have a tablet, I will probably have to change that since this position is not really suited to using a laptop AND a tablet at the same time. While my home machine is more powerful, I just find it WAY to easy to move the laptop where ever I happen to need to be most of the time.

Joe

Turgenev
05-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Here are some snap shots of my work area. A point of interest... I've had that X-Men poster since I was 13 so it is 24 years old (give or take a year). The third pic is of my very chaotic shelf space behind me. Thankfully these pics don't show the dust on some of my shelves. ;)

Redrobes
05-29-2008, 08:12 PM
All this talk gives me joystick envy !

Still, all your sensitive, hall effect, twist grip, feedback stuff is no match for my.... Mame stick with genuine arcade action and buttons... hah ha...

jfrazierjr
05-29-2008, 08:48 PM
All this talk gives me joystick envy !

Still, all your sensitive, hall effect, twist grip, feedback stuff is no match for my.... Mame stick with genuine arcade action and buttons... hah ha...

With a stand make out of Christmas wrapping paper!

Arkkeeper
05-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Dang Turgenev, your old RPG Material collection is bigger than my dad's, well maybe, All I posted is my AD&D. anyways, Ravells I'll PM you about it.

Turgenev
05-29-2008, 10:35 PM
Dang Turgenev, your old RPG Material collection is bigger than my dad's, well maybe, All I posted is my AD&D. anyways, Ravells I'll PM you about it.

LOL! You can't see my Chaosium Call of Cthulhu, FASA Doctor Who, 2nd Edition AD&D, Warhammer Fantasy Role-Playing, and Middle Earth Role-Playing (MERP) books in those pics. I would say that 90% of my collection was purchased way back in the 80s. I haven't bought any new RPG stuff in ages. Your 2nd Edition AD&D collection certainly beats mine (by the time 2nd edition had came out, I had moved on to other games as is evident in the pics). ;)

Arkkeeper
05-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Everything I have is before 1992 I believe

Arcana
05-30-2008, 08:07 AM
My mame cabinet is bigger than yours redrobes...I'll get a picture this evenign or tomorrow morning...hhehehe...

Redrobes
05-30-2008, 05:58 PM
My mame cabinet is bigger than yours redrobes...I'll get a picture this evenign or tomorrow morning...hhehehe...Classic ! This I gotta see :)

Anna
06-01-2008, 05:29 AM
Since you seem to have gone into brag mode and I have moved my workspace I think its time for me to join the fray! ;)

First some pictures of my D&D collection (DnD1-4) There must be some people in the world who has more Greyhawk stuff but not many, my library is one of the best outside the Flanaess itself.

Desk shows my modified setup using 3 computers and 5 monitors, the two 10 touch-screens are mainly used as MFDs when I change into cockpit mode.

The atlas is a VERY personal version of the Atlas of the Flanaess :)
//Anna

Anna
06-01-2008, 05:33 AM
here is the rest of the pics!

delgondahntelius
06-01-2008, 06:18 AM
very nice GH collection... and dnd collection and three monitors... I can't keep up with one... LOL :D

Redrobes
06-01-2008, 07:50 AM
Wow :o thats ridiculous, I love it. I had 5 monitors at a place I worked once and they were all essential too because I was programming video card stuff that needed them for testing. But aside from a few nice big ones the res were old scrap ones which just about worked. Having touch screens for cockpit controls is superb. And that rpg collection is staggering ! Nobody can ever say you do things by halves !

Arkkeeper
06-01-2008, 09:23 AM
You lucky people with all your money and stuff.

Arcana
06-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Ok your home setup is better than my work simulator setup...Grrr.

Arkkeeper
06-01-2008, 10:12 PM
I do have to say, If your going to collect something collect it right. ding ding ding I think we have a winner for most geeky...ANNA! (but don't worry from me it's possibly the biggest compliment I could give)......

Oh sweet I just found something I have that no one else does... I think. Original D&D Items, I have the first rule book ever, I think... and I have some of the very first supplements/Modules... Sweet!

cdenham
06-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Great rooms!!

And if that stuff is in your way or gathering too much dust I'll take it off your hands, Arkkeeper. :)

Arkkeeper
06-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Well even if it was in the way it's not actually mine, it's my dads. He's the one who got me into the rpg scene anyways, even though he doesn't play anymore.

NeonKnight
06-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Here are my work Areas, Yes Areas, cause I have a couple of them ;)

The first picture is, you guessed it, my Dining Room table. I have a laptop that is currently way better than my desktop PC, so I do most of all my work on that. I also do my Daytime (or actually Nighttime job because I work Graveyards) at home.

The second picture gives an Idea of why I do most of my work at my Dining table, Kitchen right there, lots of Light, and it's right next to the China Cabinet because.....

The China Cabinet is where I keep the majority of my gaming stuff for when I am running my home D&D games.

As to my Desktop work area, that is in Picture #4. It is actually kept inside a closet in our Family room (so if it is messy, I can just close the clest doors and hide the mess).

As you can see on my Desktop, I keep more stuff there, like the BIG Dragons on the top shelf, and the MR Potato Head Darth Vader and Stormtrooper in the boxes, Sadly my Family Guy 'Nighttime Peter and Lois' in their S&M Gear can't be seen :(

The Plastic storage totes hold all my Dungeon Tiles for RPG gaming as well as some of my D&D Minis. If people are really, really interested I will pull them ALL out (I have 8 more storage tubs in another closet) and take a picture of ALL of my Miniatures. I must have a few thousadn of them by now.

Redrobes
06-02-2008, 04:11 PM
The thing I find amazing about all these places is that you can see the floor.... Y'know, I think I should tidy up once in a while ;)

Turgenev
06-02-2008, 04:53 PM
The thing I find amazing about all these places is that you can see the floor.... Y'know, I think I should tidy up once in a while ;)

My wife is always complaining about my ability to turn any flat surface into a shelf (ie the floor, the bed, the top of books already on shelves, window sills, top of TVs, etc). :D

She was so impressed when I cleaned my desk so I could take pictures of it for this thread. Course my desk is already disorganized with many CDs (mostly of Japanese Enka music I got from the library). ;)

Arkkeeper
06-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Nice! Enka!

Midgardsormr
12-14-2008, 12:32 PM
I don't believe I ever posted anything to this thread, but my camera happened to be sitting by the desk today, so I snapped some pics. You can see my graphic design final project on the easel--that's a robotic snowplow meant to be in the style of The 5th Element. It's done in marker.

Redrobes
12-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Ohh same trackball as me - marble FX, fabulous bit of kit. You look like a left hander from your easel but your mouse is on the right. Cool anyways.

RPMiller
12-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Hehe, I used to have that exact same power switch box. I think it is out in my garage now. Wheel of Time, excellent! Looks like an Intuous tablet, same as mine it looks like. And I think that is the same drafting table I used to have! That's scary... :lol:

Midgardsormr
12-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Oh yeah. It's a real pity Logitech discontinued that model; it's the most comfortable pointing device I've yet used.

I'm right-handed, but my wife is a lefty, and I think the guy we bought the drafting table from was left-handed, also. If it were just me using it, I'd probably move the tray over to the right.

lucho
12-21-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm pretty new (well, very raw- this is only my second post), but here's my work area. They say that a clean desk is the sign of a sick mind. If that's true, then I'm ok ;)

(yes, that's an outdated calender on my desk. That's why I have two of them)

saithan
01-11-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm new myself but enjoy participating.
this is my workspace/art/music studio, it is not much but it serves me well.

joo paulo
01-11-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm new myself but enjoy participating.
this is my workspace/art/music studio, it is not much but it serves me well.

Good for making some noise8)

Whiterook
01-22-2009, 07:55 PM
I don't believe I ever posted anything to this thread, but my camera happened to be sitting by the desk today, so I snapped some pics. You can see my graphic design final project on the easel--that's a robotic snowplow meant to be in the style of The 5th Element. It's done in marker.

Man, that is one cool easle....can't say I've ever seen one like it! :)

Greason Wolfe
01-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Teeheee. What a great thread. I've been reading through it off and on since it started and figured I'd throw my three cents in. I don't have a picture of my working area, but I can describe it . . . as a complete disaster. :lol:

Imagine, if you will, a make-shift desk crafted of 1 inch plywood and 2x4s, atop of which sits a semi-outdated (more than six months old) computer with one of those fine, old-school 17 inch monitors and speakers. Joining that are any number of empty AMP cans (yes, I am a caffeine addict), a coffee cup or two and (another of my bad habits) an ashtray full of half-smoked cigarettes. Oh, and let's not forget the small fan for those rare days when it actually gets too warm around the system.

Of course, there is a bookshelf full of fantasy, sci-fi, Peanuts and magazines and a printer buried somewhere beneath all the little notes I've compiled in the process of converting maps from hand-drawn to digital format and working on various stories/novels.

And all of this against the background of an undecorated flat-white wall.

Yes indeed, bachelor life does have its benefits.

GW

Midgardsormr
01-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Man, that is one cool easle....can't say I've ever seen one like it! :)

It is, indeed, quite nice. However, we needed that space for storage, so my wife dismantled it so she could install some shelves (in violation of our lease). She hasn't done any oil painting since we arrived in Denver, though, so the only thing the easel was doing was taking up space and displaying whatever piece of work we'd recently finished but not put into storage yet.

I'm looking forward to the day when we have a house again--this one bedroom apartment is just too cramped for two artists.