PDA

View Full Version : Paizo Call for an Author/Cartographer....

thebax2k
10-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Hmm, this looks interesting. James Jacobs of Paizo Publishing put out the following call for a an author/urban planner/cartographer on 10/22/09:

IN RELATED NEWS!

If you are a game designer who:

1) Is a great writer who has creative ideas AND a strong grasp of grammar and spelling...
2) Can draw clear and crisp maps of cities that will impress the editor with your artistry...
3) Have a professional level of knowledge about city planning and urban lore...
4) Can hit deadlines...

Please please PLEASE shoot me an email with proof of your skills!

This isn't an open call or anything, just a semi-desperate stab in the dark at a mythical author with three skill sets that I am not convinced ever existed at once in the same human body.

The post came from this thread on the Paizo Messageboards: http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/adventurePath/councilOfThieves/scaleOfWestcrownsMap

There are a few folks on these boards who might be able to fit the bill. If you are a cartographer, have skills and are looking for professional level work, give it a shot. Good luck...

Gamerprinter
10-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Ah, in #2, 3, and 4 - I think I qualify, but #1 while I have a grasp, I can't seem to hold too tightly - I make plenty of spelling and grammer errors! :P

GP

Ramah
10-23-2009, 04:27 PM
I make plenty of spelling and grammer errors! :P

GP

Hehe. Indeed. :)

Ascension
10-23-2009, 04:33 PM
I think, that...your're speling is jist fyne -- gramer two.

mearrin69
10-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Too bad I don't qualify...I'm just up the road really. :)

I got a chance to meet many of the Paizo people at PaizoCon in June and it was great.I don't know what it's like to actually work there but they are about the best bunch of people I've ever met in any industry and all of the Paizo employees and freelancers I've ever spoken to seem happy as clams.

So, in other words, Paizo has my unqualified (and unqualified...meaning that I don't *really* know jack) endorsement as an employer.
M

Mark Oliva
10-24-2009, 12:24 AM
1) Is a great writer who has creative ideas AND a strong grasp of grammar and spelling...
2) Can draw clear and crisp maps of cities that will impress the editor with your artistry...
3) Have a professional level of knowledge about city planning and urban lore...
4) Can hit deadlines...

Gee golly whillikers! That seems to describe me perfectly! Unfortunately, I don't want the job.

Steel General
10-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Let's see...

#1 - Nope, not a great writer and thank god for spell checkers or I'd be doomed
#2 - Nope, not quite there...yet
#3 - Not a chance
#4 - Ahh this I can do...and I was pretty good at 'Whack-A-Mole' when I was younger :)

zenram
10-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Where is Gandwarf when you need him?

torstan
10-25-2009, 09:42 AM
I contacted James Jacobs about this. He was very enthusiastic about the map I sent over and immediately asked about my game designer credentials - and I had to admit that I came up a little short there. Nonetheless a great opportunity to get my work in front of one of the major names over at Paizo so certainly worth doing.

Gandwarf
10-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Where is Gandwarf when you need him?

Well, thanks for the suggestion... but I don't think it will work. I don't consider myself good enough. Also, I wouldn't want to do this professionally anyway.
For the fun of it:

#1 Yeah, I guess I consider my writing skills good enough. In Dutch that is. My grasp of the English language has detoriated a lot.
#2 I don't think they will like the City Designer 3 style.
#3 I have at least a basic understanding I guess.
#4 As a projectmanager by trade I can proudly say I break deadlines daily :D

ravells
10-25-2009, 03:28 PM
I've dropped him a line, but no reply as yet.

Baird
11-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Well, thanks for the suggestion... but I don't think it will work. I don't consider myself good enough. Also, I wouldn't want to do this professionally anyway.
For the fun of it:

#1 Yeah, I guess I consider my writing skills good enough. In Dutch that is. My grasp of the English language has detoriated a lot.
#2 I don't think they will like the City Designer 3 style.
#3 I have at least a basic understanding I guess.
#4 As a projectmanager by trade I can proudly say I break deadlines daily :D

Was Dutch your first language? I grew up speaking English and some German (and just a smidge of Gaelic), and over time I've learned just how much I hate English (When I took classes for Spanish everyone had the stupid American accent and (I thought) I sounded better with my Germanic base, really it sounds just as bad to a Spanish speaker. Edit: LOL dutch your first language, duh, just read you were native of the Netherlands.