PDA

View Full Version : println("hello world"\n) hehe

Jaelyn
10-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Well, hello there. My name is Ashley and I'm a hopeless gaming addict, photographer and I practice several modalities of alternative medicine in between gaming sessions to pay the bills. A bit of my work can be seen at http://www.guiltypixel.com and http://demarchand.deviantart.com

I've been into fantasy cartography (with pen and paper anyway) since I was very young, but I never tried going digital with it. Who knows why, I prefer everything else digital... Recently I stumbled upon some YouTube tutorials by Butch Curry from Zombie Nirvana Games and I was shocked to realize that I've had the tools and skills all along to make great digital maps, I just never thought about the work flow quite like he does. I am now studying Photoshop cartography techniques and I will be posting some of my work and any techniques I stumble across or invent both here and on a dedicated blog.

The forums here are amazingly well maintained and contain a wealth of knowledge beyond anything else I've seen. I really look forward to corresponding with you all, it seems like a really nice community here.

Thank you,
Ashley :compass:

Gandwarf
10-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Welcome to the guild Jaelyn.
Your post got caught in the moderation queque and has now been approved :)

Jaelyn
10-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Yeah, I noticed hehe :) Thanks, glad to be here o/

Redrobes
10-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Hey and welcome. I like the fauna photos. I have some similar which I have on my (rather crappy) myspace (http://www.myspace.com/redrobes) page.

Notsonoble
10-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Welcome indeed! The photos are great... also good luck on the job hunt... but be careful now that your here... I, and all that I've mentioned it to... have seemed to fall into a pit when they find the tutorials and disappear for months. My gaming group thought I had died... only for me to come back with lots of great maps. I actually had to temporarily block the site at home because I was risking repeated late-to-work episodes. :P

Jaelyn
10-24-2009, 12:08 AM
ROFL! Yeah, I can see myself slipping into this, but I'm taking a break from work for a couple of months to relax, so its a perfect time for me to enter the hermit cave and seek enlightenment. :)

Thank you all for the compliments on the photos as well, it is appreciated *cheer*

Hopefully soon I'll have some maps which don't involve $200/set Prismacolors which crack as soon as they roll off of the table... *mutter* I'd rather use them less frequently for character portraits and stuff. If I can get anywhere near as efficient as some of the people doing video tutorials I can drop my mapping time from ~12 hours to ~3 hours, so I see this as a time-efficiency exchange.

-Ashley

Steel General
10-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Gidde
10-24-2009, 09:57 AM
Welcome to the guild!

Jaelyn
10-24-2009, 02:26 PM
This place has too many friendly and helpful people to be an internet forum. Its freakin me out :)

Where are the trolls... the flamewars? Its just odd. LOL

Gandwarf
10-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Nowadays the trolls hang out under the bridge...

Gamerprinter
10-24-2009, 02:49 PM
This place has too many friendly and helpful people to be an internet forum. Its freakin me out :)

Where are the trolls... the flamewars? Its just odd. LOL

We have lurkers, and though we appreciate anyone looking at, downloading and using our content (only CC licensed content), we prefer participants, though lurking is not a terrible issue with any of us.

We've had one thread that was temporarily closed because a heated debate crossed over into throwing insults, and that was a new poster and the problem was "nipped in the bud". That thread is now open again, and the problem alleviated. However, that is the only instance of something close to a flamewar, ever in the history of the Guild.

Its the initiative of our grand administrator (Arcana) and the dutiful CLs to keep the forums as friendly as possible. In the way initial responses are made, in the way these introduction threads are welcomed with open arms, in the way that we try to help even those that ask questions that fall outside of cartography issues. We, the members, have found that following in their footsteps is actually addictive in being a more friendly environment, from the senior members to the noobs. By treating each other with respect, the Cartographers' Guild is an island of hope within a sea of trolls on most other forums.

I try to keep my posts friendly on other forums (EnWorld, etc.) but with their rampant trolling, flamewars, and edition wars its not always so easy.

I'm glad to be a longstanding member of this guild, and I'm here more than at any other online community, largely because of the friendly atmosphere, aside from the topic of mapping, of course.

So, don't be freaked out about our community, be freaked out that other communities do not have the presence of mind to be respectful to each other.

And belatedly, "Welcome to the Guild! I hope you have as wonderful a time as we do in our great community!"

GP

PS: and "no, we are not the Stepford Cartographers" - we are friendly with free will! :P

Ascension
10-24-2009, 07:34 PM
I think it has to do with the quality that we put out and that others can learn how to do similar quality with only minimal skills and practice...and the fact that we're all super cool dudes and dudettes and not a bunch of teenagers trying to look cool. Welcome and have fun.

Jaelyn
10-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Bahahaha, true. It looks like we're all adults here, or at least mature. I honestly haven't seen anyplace so welcoming and full of talent since the BBS days. I think I'm going to become a permanent fixture here.

I have noticed a lot of lurking while observing who is online and what they're doing, and less than 0.5% of views seem to generate a reply on most of the threads I've looked at. Meh, as long as they learn something I guess... I however, prefer to contribute whenever possible and actively learn from my public mistakes, as I believe that the only limitation to human advancement is the willingness to admit to and display one's faults and ask questions. Someone who can't tie their shoes without assistance might be a much better cartographer than me, but if I don't ask, how would I know?

Gidde
10-26-2009, 09:34 AM
I don't know. I try to give feedback as much as possible, but sometimes I'm just at a loss for anything meaningful to add to the discussion. When that happens, I move on without posting. Some of the lurking may have more to do with that and less to do with not being willing to ask questions.

Jaelyn
10-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Could be. Sometimes I don't feel like I'm qualified to say anything, being the noob here, but I will still call someone out on a ridiculous river ;)

NeonKnight
10-27-2009, 04:31 AM
Welcome to the Guild!