PDA

View Full Version : New Regional Try

Djekspek
10-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Hi all, I started working on a ISO-kinda-style regional map. Not sure where it will be going but it will be loads of work as I have to develop matching styles for alll elements. The mountain style is pretty ok I think. Struggling on how to make diffferent terrain types fit that style ... Cities are going to be in "comic-ISO" too (some 1st draft to see how it would look is included in screenshot). Also the terrain needs some warp to make it more ISO I guess. Anyway, all comments are appreciated during the process;)

Gandwarf
10-27-2009, 11:11 AM
You are very definitely onto something here! I like what I see.
The mountains are now crammed in the upper-right corner... I am curious how they look when they are in the middle of the map. At the moment they look good by the way.

wormspeaker
10-27-2009, 11:18 AM
I like it. But depending on the scale you are using here the mountains might be just too big. I like the way that they look and the hills as well, but I think the mountains could stand to be shrunk a little. On the other hand, if this map is supposed to only represent a very small area, say only 30 miles on a side then they are rather "comic" but not terribly mismatched.

Steel General
10-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Neat stuff here...

Ascension
10-27-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm diggin it. The flat land does need some perspective distortion so what I do is flatten all the "land" layers together then edit - transform - perspective (hold down alt + shift and click and drag a corner out at the bottom and in at the top...alt + shift drags the opposite corner equally to match whichever one you drag).

Djekspek
10-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the comments again! mountains not finished but did some more in different places to see how they stand out in the landscape.
The idea is indeed to make it "comic-iso" style so I'm not too worried about scale and size (although I need to calm down on the rivers I think). Also I did the warping/perspective (nice tip) and that really helped getting the outlines in shape. Furthermore I started some 'perspective-re-shaping' to coast and rivers based on this and it is beginning to look more 3d now. I think (or hope..) that with right sized terrain elements it will work out ok. My main concern still is creation of terrain styles to mix good together. Anyway, more to come later... I'm really having a ball with this one :D

Ramah
10-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Loving the style of this. The mountains are very cool.

I know you have more to do on it but at the moment I don't think that rocky texture you have fits at all with your beautiful hand-painted hills and mountains. I'm sure you'll sort it though.

Great stuff. :)

Juggernaut1981
10-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Dude, I have GOT to ask...

How did you do the mountains? Was there a trick or are we all doomed to many hours of drawing little lines for our mountains...

mearrin69
10-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Looking good. Those mountains are quite striking. Maybe some mid-height hills between the foothills and the mountains?

...I don't think that rocky texture you have fits at all with your beautiful hand-painted hills and mountains...

Agreed. It makes it all go sort of "flat" when your eye hits those textures. Not sure what to do about it though.
M

Djekspek
10-28-2009, 12:01 PM
I currently feel more like a painter then a carthographer... The texture in the south was still in the area i didnt get to yet but i changed it so it doesnt distract ;).

If there were some trick on the moutains i'd be more then happy to share it but I'm afraid they are all handpainted :( In general I use the ISO-style mountain trick (tutorial on the forums) but use multiple colors and a texture. (I can post some wip-sequence-pictures to see how i do it, if you like)
I'll add the foothills to my to-do list as the hill/mountain contrast is indeed a bit odd.

Furthermore I started experimenting with the forrest style. Needs tweaking but I'm getting there I think. Maybe not enough progress for another WIP picture but here's one anyway

mearrin69
10-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Definite improvement. Trees are a little bright but look pretty good. Looking nice overall. Love your scroll.
M

Gandwarf
10-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Yeah, looks good. The trees in the upper right forest do look they are growing a bit crooked (leaning to the right).

Djekspek
10-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi all, fixed the trees and added some new special features. also experimenting with labels and iso-buildings (they look crappy still but its sortof the look i wanne give them) and done some river beddings... Probs I'll add a vortex in the sea and maybe a vulcano... (I want it to be crowded with specials ;) .. after that it's finishing the terrain, fixing hills, adding buidings and and .. well much more work too do still... cheers

Gandwarf
10-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Oh man, that looks awesome! Very artsy.

Ascension
10-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Looks fantastic but I'd make the trees darker. Might just be me but I always like darker trees. Great job.

Steel General
10-31-2009, 05:17 PM
This is getting better and better...

Endarguul
11-01-2009, 10:09 AM
I really like your style, Djekspek. It's a great map. The mountains look really great imho.

Rythal
11-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I'd have to agree with ascension, make the tree's darker... they look a little bit too much toxic green.

that being said, awesome style!

Spiritless
11-01-2009, 06:40 PM
That looks awesome! Love your style. The only thing (imo) you should reconsider are the symbols/icons, so they fit a little better, and don't stand out like that. Still, a really great map

rdanhenry
11-01-2009, 09:52 PM
This is much more consistent in its look now and looking great. Looking forward to seeing what you add next.

Djekspek
11-02-2009, 09:56 AM
hi all, thanks again for the C&C! Without it I would have lost inspiration already... Tree's darkened (maybe needs abit more still), added some more detail. ISO's still need work .. grrr.. I hope one more pass to finish this... but then again a map is never finished :(

Ramah
11-02-2009, 11:54 AM
I love it. Wonderful map. :)

mearrin69
11-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Yeah. Turning out really well. Nice to see a different style! Repped.
M

Tom_Cardin
11-02-2009, 01:27 PM
I really like this map, loving detail all over it. Unique, handpainted and interesting.

Gandwarf
11-02-2009, 02:09 PM
This map has a fairytale feeling to it. I like it a lot!

wormspeaker
11-02-2009, 05:18 PM
OK, you won me over. With all the various sites and terrain in there it looks perfect. Excellent work!

Ascension
11-02-2009, 06:37 PM
2 things: your labels are quite huge...make 'em smaller to show the lovely terrain (plus you can put more stuff in that way) and the lil cities don't seem to fit too well...put a new layer on top and hand-trace them on your tablet or use a mouse (give them the same hand-painted look as the rest of the map). Otherwise, looks great.

Steel General
11-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Agree w/Ascension on the labels...this has turned out quite nicely.

jfrazierjr
11-03-2009, 09:07 AM
Dude, I have GOT to ask...

How did you do the mountains? Was there a trick or are we all doomed to many hours of drawing little lines for our mountains...

If there were some trick on the moutains i'd be more then happy to share it but I'm afraid they are all handpainted :( In general I use the ISO-style mountain trick (tutorial on the forums) but use multiple colors and a texture.

I am glad my technique (rough though the tutorial was.. I look at it now and go...ugh!) has helped others make such lovely maps. I can't take credit for this originally though, I got it from the artist of the Manrathia (featured maps) map who has several tutorials on his website. Quite frankly, smudge is my favorite tool if I am going for a more painterly style map and is one of the most useful tools for any cartographer trying to blend terrain.

Djekspek
11-03-2009, 08:59 PM
thanks all for the nice comments! Really great having people around here looking at each inch of your map. I resized the labels as they indeed were way too big. They're still large but i think better now. Also tried to restyle the cities a bit as Ascension pointed out. I'm no iso-master but they are a bit better now. guess i'm gonne call this a finished map :D

rdanhenry
11-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Note that 'forest' has one 'r' in the standard English spelling.

Gandwarf
11-04-2009, 06:57 AM
Don't forget to post this map in the Finished Maps section when you are truly done with it!